Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine sound.

Views : 1146

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 08:51   #1
Anubisxc70
Master Member

Default Engine sound.

2004 XC70 D5 awd.

I know sounds and clunks are always a pain to sort out. But here it goes maybe you guys have some idea.

4 weeks ago, my intercooler, radiator, egr valve, and Maf were changed. From this changes two things came up. First was smoke, that was caused by a defected MAF, the old went in and it seems it solved the problem.

The second change is, noise inside the cabin, the car became more noisy especially between 1500 and 2200 (i think) when it pulls its really loud. Now the strange parts. Its not every time, and usually the noise decreases with temperature i guess, after being running for an hour or so the noise seems to reduce.

I have checked the exhaust for leaks, the only i couldn't see very well was the flexible, i could find none. I have checked the fire wall , the seal from the steering wheel, all is fine there. I didn't see nothing against the body so it could cause an eco.

Vida tells my car has 3 codes. Air quality sensor, radio is missing, and cruise control not working...but it does. So none related for the engine to make that sound.

I guess the parts i have changed...could not cause the sound, strangely that it got louder since they were changed.
The car pulls like it never did at higher rpm on cruise its silent unless of course a hard pull is made.

I know i can buy soundproof material and make it better, but i would like to know your opinions about it.

Many Thanks...................once again
Anubisxc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 09:56   #2
Tunneruk

If your car is now pulling harder than ever before it's highly likely that it'll be either top cross mount or lower torque mount related. The engine is pulling (Trying to twist) more than ever before and probably reaching the end of the play on the worn bushes, possibly pushing metal onto metal.
Particularly as you describe at 1500-2200 RPM which is bang on peak torque range for a D5.

The good news is that either or both of these mounts are easy and relatively cheap to replace.

www.ctmotorcycleservices.co.uk
Tunneruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 09:58   #3
Anubisxc70
Master Member

All my mounts including the right one were replaced 4 months ago. All Meyle HD. I have no vacuum lost and the mounts are all ok.

Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 10:31   #4
Tunneruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubisxc70 View Post
All my mounts including the right one were replaced 4 months ago. All Meyle HD. I have no vacuum lost and the mounts are all ok.

"All" of them? Including the top tie bar central and strut top bushes and both lower gearbox torque mounts?

Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 10:51   #5
Anubisxc70
Master Member

Yes Sir, all. Not strut or control harms ...not yet next year project. but all the others , yes
But the sound is not of a bad mount it really engine sound, like and exhaust leak . But there isn't any..............
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 11:37   #6
Tunneruk

Quote:
Yes Sir, all. Not strut or control harms ...not yet next year project. but all the others , yes
But the sound is not of a bad mount it really engine sound, like and exhaust leak . But there isn't any..............
My engine really roars (induction noise) when I plant my foot down ..... that's natural for these engines. Perhaps that's what it is!

Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 12:26   #7
davebb
Premier Member

Quote:
2004 XC70 D5 awd.

I know sounds and clunks are always a pain to sort out. But here it goes maybe you guys have some idea.

4 weeks ago, my intercooler, radiator, egr valve, and Maf were changed. From this changes two things came up. First was smoke, that was caused by a defected MAF, the old went in and it seems it solved the problem.

The second change is, noise inside the cabin, the car became more noisy especially between 1500 and 2200 (i think) when it pulls its really loud. Now the strange parts. Its not every time, and usually the noise decreases with temperature i guess, after being running for an hour or so the noise seems to reduce.

I have checked the exhaust for leaks, the only i couldn't see very well was the flexible, i could find none. I have checked the fire wall , the seal from the steering wheel, all is fine there. I didn't see nothing against the body so it could cause an eco.

Vida tells my car has 3 codes. Air quality sensor, radio is missing, and cruise control not working...but it does. So none related for the engine to make that sound.

I guess the parts i have changed...could not cause the sound, strangely that it got louder since they were changed.
The car pulls like it never did at higher rpm on cruise its silent unless of course a hard pull is made.

I know i can buy soundproof material and make it better, but i would like to know your opinions about it.

Many Thanks...................once again

look at the cold air pipe that fits on the turbo, (again)it may have a split in it,
remove it to have a good look,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 13:33   #8
Anubisxc70
Master Member

The sound is normally from 1500 to 2200 even on normal acceleration.

Dave you are talking about the pipe from the one that goes under the car to the turbo?

That was the only one i did not replaced. because i can hardly see where it connects, never mind undo it , mine is an awd. I think they call it the resonator? Mine doesn't have that in plastic is already in rubber....

Thank You.
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 14:54   #9
davebb
Premier Member

Quote:
The sound is normally from 1500 to 2200 even on normal acceleration.

Dave you are talking about the pipe from the one that goes under the car to the turbo?

That was the only one i did not replaced. because i can hardly see where it connects, never mind undo it , mine is an awd. I think they call it the resonator? Mine doesn't have that in plastic is already in rubber....

Thank You.
Hi no I am not, the cold air pipe fits to the turbo inlet,
I think you did change it some months ago, but that does not mean it is OK now,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 16:39   #10
Anubisxc70
Master Member

So you are talking about the one that goes under the car??