Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

0W30 or 5W30

Views : 54781

Replies : 194

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 13th, 2018, 14:18   #111
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
Comma are fine, decent oils at a sensible price. There are other options at roughly the same price, but Comma are generally easy to get hold of.

Cheers

Tim
Thanks Tim,

Worth noting on your website - when I put in my Reg it brings up kits containing 7L of oil, Volvo revised the oil amount to 5.5L for the C30/S40/V50/C70mk2 2.4L D5 engines due to oil rising in the sump (there was an associated software update and revised oil amount sticker for the engine).

I know that for legitmate reasons you cannot rely on hearsay from an internet forum so it would be worth contacting Volvo yourself to confirm and updating the kits on your website - working with data I know this may or may not be trivial depending on where you may source your car info database from.
But as you can imagine, for those who know, it would seem an unattractive proposition to pay for an extra litre of unrequired oil.

Cheers
Dave
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 15:31   #112
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmitch View Post
The more I look into this the more it makes no sense " You've got to use Castrol Edge 0w30 that's what Volvo recommend" It didn't exist in 2009.. And looking at a well known parts supplier of genuine volvo parts. There quote Edge 0w30 being for post 2010 volvo's and Magnatec 5w30 also being suitable?

Colin.
any evidence of it not existing?
My 2000 X T5 plate begs to differ - it had a sticker from factory telling you to use 0w-30 castrol as does my 2007 T5
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 18:27   #113
AndyV7o
Premier Member

The Edge name didnt exist back then is what I think is being referred to. It was SLX iirc tyen changed to Edge, probably to sound more, well, 'edgy' 🤨😆
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 22:52   #114
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
The Edge name didnt exist back then is what I think is being referred to. It was SLX iirc tyen changed to Edge, probably to sound more, well, 'edgy' 🤨😆
Yes indeed Castrol Formula SLX Long-Tec and Formula SLX R-Tec in the first half of the 2000's until Edge was launched .
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 07:54   #115
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

This thread is both informative and interesting, however it’s gotten a little silly. We are debating the sciences of oil shear and viscosity!

Look at the number of D5s and other Volvo engines with 300,000 miles plus and no wear. Volvo simply do not make vehicles to last the warranty period!

My XC90 is at almost 110,000 miles, is specified 0-30 and gets 0-30. I but the oils from Volvo as it is as cheap and usually cheaper than opie and euro car parts etc etc and I do not use one drip between services.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 13:28   #116
oilman
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Yes indeed Castrol Formula SLX Long-Tec and Formula SLX R-Tec in the first half of the 2000's until Edge was launched .
I think I still have a bottle of SLX in the warehouse somewhere!
phone: 01209 202944

oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oilman For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 15:42   #117
BlueDevil

May I ask a question, please?
I've read throught this entire thread and I didn't get my mind changed so far (which is to use what factory told me to use). But that aside...

What importance does outside temp have on oil? I know the WINTER part (the number before the "W") is important and why (cold starts etc). What I don't get is the other part where people say things like "0w30 is not good for hot climates". Specifically, where I live we get -10, -15 celsius in winter (sometimes over -20 but that's pretty rare) and we get +35 easily in summer (measured in shade, over the grass on 1m height, as it should be) - so in sun when standing still it will go to +40 no problem.

But what does all that have to do with engine oil? Surely where it flows thge temps are much higher that +40 so if someone says +40 is too hot for 0w30 oil then basically any outside temp is too hot for that oil since it will only get to work temp quicker when starting from +40 rather than starting form +10. Just that.

I belive I've read somewhere that diesel engine's oil working temp is between 100 and 110 dec celsius. So the oil will be working at that temp. The only difference I can see the outside temp makes is that if you start your car on -10 celsius then the oil must be thin enough to lubricate ASAP, and it will take longer for oil to reach 100-110 celsius of operating temp.
If you start the car on outside temp of +30 celsius, then it will be quicker to reach 100-110 celsius working temp - but that's it! The +40 outside or -10 outside won't do anything to oil performance. Anything.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the only real problem is to have the oil thin enough in cold weather. Just that. IT will never get over 100-110 outside, and the engine will always try to have the oil at that temp, so I really don't get it.

I mean even if you lived in an area where temps all-year round are from -30 to -10, never over 0 (always celsius), the engine would still be operating the oil at 100-110, just taking longer to get there. And if you were to live in year-round +30 to +60 (always celsius), the engine would reach oil temp of 100-110 quicker, but still would keep it there and try to cool it down if it was to go over that, or warm it up if it was to go under that. But 100-110 range is way higher than environment so it can't possibly have an impact.
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 15:59   #118
oilman
Trader

You are spot on, the cold start viscosity of the oil is very important to ambient outside temps to ensure good cold flow on start up.

Once the engine is up to temp modern engines regulate their own temperature and are very efficient at it so if the vehicle is recommended SAE30 when hot (100degc) then it should be fine in most climates.

The exception is if the engine is worked hard enough it is struggling to maintain a consitant temp, this can be caused by things like prolonged heavy towing in hot climates. The answer is to go up a grade so instead of SAE30 you move to SAE40 and this will be sufficient to cope with the extra temp. The engine will try to keep the oil at a certain bulk temp (somewhere between 90 and 100degc) as this is the viscosity it is designed to run on. If you exceed that temp consistently by say, 15degc so bulk temp is now 115degc then by using an SAE40 it will be now functioning as an SAE30 is it continues to get thinner past 100degc. And SAE30 is what the engine wants.

Hope this helps?

Cheers,

Guy
phone: 01209 202944

Last edited by oilman; Mar 8th, 2021 at 16:02.
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oilman For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 22:53   #119
BlueDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
Hope this helps?
Sure does, thanx a bunch!!!
Old Mar 11th, 2021, 03:07   #120
lynns hubby
Master Member

Wow, what an interesting thread. For what its worth, I personally stick with what Volvo recommend for my 07 XC70 D5 144K on the clock. It doesn't use any oil between changes.
If you use the good old ***bay sight, a genuine service kit can be bought from main dealers at reasonable prices. This is genuine parts, filters etc and Volvo Oil (yes I know Volvo don't produce their own oil). Lets face it, Its not like you are changing the oil every 6000 miles as was the norm before these high mileage oils were developed.
The price of this oil is also nothing like it used to be when it was first developed.
As has been seen throughout this thread, many peoples millage is well over the "warranty" period.
As has been said many times, Volvo invested a lot of money to get the best oil for their engine.
I would rather pay the extra (which is not a lot now compared to a few years ago) and have piece of mind that I have used what Volvo recommends.
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote