Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 1.9D won't rev freely and puffs blue smoke

Views : 4266

Replies : 91

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2018, 15:19   #21
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldred309uk View Post
Just put it all back together but don't plug the electrical connection in then try it.
That's what I'm gonna do tomorrow. Can't do it tonight. Hopefully I'll get some dry weather tomorrow and give her a whirl. Spoke to a colleague at work (I work at a garage) and he said from the description i gave him, that it sounds like a knackered turbo. Here's hoping it isn't.
Dirty Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 18:17   #22
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Symptoms sound like a dead turbo, but given the car was going like a train a week ago and you said this happened suddenly, im sceptcal that that is the case. Only way I can see it being turbo is if its blown the seals out thus wont spin and draws oil through induction/exhaust. This is unlikely. Something from somewhere obstructing the impellers is much more likely imo.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 18:41   #23
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
Symptoms sound like a dead turbo, but given the car was going like a train a week ago and you said this happened suddenly, im sceptcal that that is the case. Only way I can see it being turbo is if its blown the seals out thus wont spin and draws oil through induction/exhaust. This is unlikely. Something from somewhere obstructing the impellers is much more likely imo.
I know what you mean, it's had me thinking. I am debating whether to take the exhaust pipe off from the turbo and check that side of the turbine shaft.

I have videod what the car is like at the moment. It runs like that with or without the MAF plugged in. Here it is: https://youtu.be/Nqdu-a10TTw

What do you make of it?
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 11:58   #24
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

I'm fairly sure the engine managment light should come on when you unplug the maf. Perhaps the led is burned out?
Does it come on with the first turn of the key?

The other thing could be that there is a problem with the data bus and the information is not getting through. Could also put the engine in limp mode?
I am clutching at straws here!
Is there anything else electrical on the car that is not working as it should?

I know people say unplugging the maf made their car run okay but I don't think that worked for me, so it doesn't rule it out.

I'd say with the smoking, that maf, map and egr need to be ruled out. Also, does the actuator on the turbo move up and down? Should go up and down when you rev it.
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 14:34   #25
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecabbage View Post
I'm fairly sure the engine managment light should come on when you unplug the maf. Perhaps the led is burned out?

The other thing could be that there is a problem with the data bus and the information is not getting through. Could also put the engine in limp mode?

I know people say unplugging the maf made their car run okay but I don't think that worked for me, so it doesn't rule it out.

I'd say with the smoking, that maf, map and egr need to be ruled out. Also, does the actuator on the turbo move up and down? Should go up and down when you rev it.
Okay, here goes:

Yes, the engine management light comes on when you turn on the ignition.

No, the engine management light doesn't come on when you unplug the MAF. It didn't come on for the EGR, MAP, or MAF as far as I recall. None of those three made any difference to the engines problem.

Yes, every other Electrical thing on the car that i can think of, works fine. Only one of the front speakers occasionally crackles.

And finally, no, the actuator arm does NOT move, not matter how much i rev the engine at all.

Here's the things: neither the actuator arm and shut off valve work at all now, both of which are connected to the vacuum lines. I've since stripped off all the little vacuum hoses, blown down then, and they're fine. But i have taken off three components which have air lines going to them, two of which have electrical connectors on them. Here they are:

http://imgur.com/gallery/2cYtUy9

Sorry about it being on Imgur, the photos i took were too big to upload directly to the forum site.

Do any of those three parts give off symptoms like I've been getting, if they're faulty?
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 14:37   #26
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecabbage View Post

Also, could it possibly be the vacuum pump at the end of the camshaft?
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 16:35   #27
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Ok this is a 1.9 dci engine, it isnt variable vane turbo thus the only actuator is the wastegate which may be old school or vacuum actuated via a boost solenoid, I believe its a boost solenoid, thus, it will only actuate when there is too much boost and the ecu tells it to open.
I also wonder if it shares the same brainpower as the Renaults from which it originates, as my Scenic is reluctant to throw any lights, in fact the only time it did was when the egr got stuck open and the glowplug light illuminated not the eml!...
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 16:47   #28
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Ok this is a 1.9 dci engine, it isnt variable vane turbo thus the only actuator is the wastegate which may be old school or vacuum actuated via a boost solenoid, I believe its a boost solenoid, thus, it will only actuate when there is too much boost and the ecu tells it to open.
I also wonder if it shares the same brainpower as the Renaults from which it originates, as my Scenic is reluctant to throw any lights, in fact the only time it did was when the egr got stuck open and the glowplug light illuminated not the eml!...
I'm sure the D4192T3 has a Variable Vane Turbo, but uses a vacuum operated boost solenoid to control the boost. Actuator arm doesn't move at all, and I'm getting no vacuum from the pipe coming from the solenoid, which I've heard you should have. So i really don't know. I've put everything back together and the little vacuum related box under the vacuum tank has got a point to attach a hose, next to the connector for it, but hasn't got a hose going to it, yet it is pulling in air.

Could i have a missing pipe/one that's come off or something? I'm not getting any vacuum to the shut off valve or the actuator. I'm certain it's that boost solenoid on the bulkhead that's gone kaput. I could do with a working 1.9D next to mine to see how it's all connected xD
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 17:18   #29
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Interesting! Is yours the 120/130 bhp variant then? With the egr being same as mine I thought that was only the 80 and 105bhp first gen dci... If you have vnt on yours, it would make sense I have vnt on mine, and Im positive its not, though, might explain where a few of the horses have gone if so!
If it is vnt, and is stuck, then you may well habe been getting overboost, which would also explain the pipe blowing off!
You can clean vnt turbos with Mr Muscle foaming oven cleaner see here https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...-vanes.107121/ its for the vag engines but with common sense you can adapt the particulars to suit your engine. I can comfirm it works as I have just done this on the Octavia.

Id be astonished if there is a difference as afaik renault made the motors in either 80 or 105 format which then got stuffed in the relevant renaults and shipped out to nissan/volvo etc ready to be shoved in their variants

Last edited by AndyV7o; Sep 22nd, 2018 at 17:24.
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 17:34   #30
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Interesting! Is yours the 120/130 bhp variant then? With the egr being same as mine I thought that was only the 80 and 105bhp first gen dci... If you have vnt on yours, it would make sense I have vnt on mine, and Im positive its not, though, might explain where a few of the horses have gone if so!
If it is vnt, and is stuck, then you may well habe been getting overboost, which would also explain the pipe blowing off!
You can clean vnt turbos with Mr Muscle foaming oven cleaner see here https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...-vanes.107121/ its for the vag engines but with common sense you can adapt the particulars to suit your engine. I can comfirm it works as I have just done this on the Octavia.

Id be astonished if there is a difference as afaik renault made the motors in either 80 or 105 format which then got stuffed in the relevant renaults and shipped out to nissan/volvo etc ready to be shoved in their variants
Well Volvo had various versions of it, mine being the highest powered 115 Intercooled D4192T3. I'm just getting quite stumped. I seem to be missing a vacuum hose from the little black box under the vacuum tank, which is pulling air in from the nozzle that isn't connected to a pipe, not getting any vacuum at idle from the boost solenoid, thus no actuator movement or shut off valve operation, not revving over 3 grand and puffing blue smoke.

I can find reasons as to why the car is doing some of those things, but not all of them at once. Could be vacuum pump, boost solenoid, crack in a vacuum hose, knackered turbocharger, stuff stuck from the EGR in the head somewhere (unlikely imho), so I got no idea what's up. I thought it was the boost solenoid, but am confused, because the little black box is connected to the vacuum tank, which in turn is connected to the vacuum pump, but so is the boost solenoid, and yet I'm not getting anything.

Power assisted brakes? Sure, I got it. Actuator or shut of valve? Nada

Tags
blue smoke, lack of power, oil burning, slow acceleration