Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Sensus Weather App

Views : 923

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 20th, 2018, 10:13   #1
osbourne one-nil

Default Volvo Sensus Weather App

I connect my phone to my V90 using Bluetooth tethering and it seems to work fine for streaming, but the weather app seems to have a few glitches.

Every time I start the car, the weather app says "Sonnection Error" but if I then open up the app, the hourly forecast is given and, if I click places, all of a sudden the location appears and everything works great. Why can't it just do this from the off?!

Is anyone else having similar problems?
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 10:38   #2
Lexman8
Premier Member

Yes, same as you, I get the 'Connection error' message but then it works. Has been doing it for a couple of months (at least).

I'll mention it to the dealer when the car is in for a service next month.
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 10:47   #3
taylora

Yep mine does that too. I think it's because the internet connection comes up after the weather app has tried to go online and the error sits there and never clears even when it does have access and works.

If you switch to google or another app, let it load and then re-open weather the "No connection" error disappears.

Nothing wrong with the car, just bad code on the app. Nowt a dealer can do about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to taylora For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 10:54   #4
osbourne one-nil

Thanks - I'm glad it's not just me...if that doesn't make me sound evil. To be honest, I can forgive it because the car is just lovely, but it just niggles!
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 11:39   #5
Milliner

The Sensus has a few niggles like this which sound petty and unimportant in isolation, but they do detract ever-so-slightly from the otherwise excellent experience.

My voice recognition doesn't allow me to choose a DAB station for example, it only works on AM/FM but all my favourite stations are only on DAB....It's things like that.
Milliner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milliner For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 11:59   #6
osbourne one-nil

Yep - mine doesn't allow me to enter the name of the village I live in (which is shared by a few other places) either by voice or as a location - only by postcode. And often, when I ask it to "go to Manchester" it'll search music and radio.

Still, I guess it beats listening to DLT from a roadshow in Aberystwyth on 275MW while sitting on vinyl seats.
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 12:17   #7
Milliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbourne one-nil View Post
Yep - mine doesn't allow me to enter the name of the village I live in (which is shared by a few other places) either by voice or as a location - only by postcode. And often, when I ask it to "go to Manchester" it'll search music and radio.

Still, I guess it beats listening to DLT from a roadshow in Aberystwyth on 275MW while sitting on vinyl seats.
Certainly does - we did the family holidays to Wales in a Morris Marina too. It wasn't all that long ago, I was driving up and down the country in an old Astra van, with an AA map (with the rough destination circled for when I get close), trying to listen to a footy match on 5 live on AM, which always became almost unlistenable at night for some reason - it was explained to me but I forget.

Mustn't grumble really.
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 12:24   #8
taylora

I once managed to get the Radio 2 on DAB, never managed to repeat it since. Regardless of what I ask via voice command, I always get the same response "Searching music and radio". Handy when you want to turn the seat heating down.
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 12:34   #9
Milliner

Ah yes.

"Search for a car park".....pauses......."Searching music and radio, what would you like to listen to"

Grrr.
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 00:10   #10
Jcbrown

when I took the S90 for a test drive almost 2years ago now, I tried voice control quite a few times. I was used to voice control in my 2012 Skoda Superb - though that did not cover anywhere near as much as the Volvo's did. I had always found the Skoda one pretty useless, so was interested to see how much progress had been made in the intervening 5-odd years.

When I got back to the dealer he asked about my test drive:

My response was something along the lines: "I love the car. But in almost 5 years, it is nice to know that voice control has not improved one bit. it is still as crap as it was then"

I know I have posted this a couple of times. But it still makes me laugh: Voice recognition lift in Scotland - Eleven. Eleven. ELEVEN!