Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2009 XC60 SE Lux Auto Nav D5 AWD

Views : 1838

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 26th, 2015, 23:23   #11
bogart
Master Member

I think you should step back and look in the mirror yourself!
bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 12:40   #12
V70RMW
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart View Post
Why did you go straight to EBay rather than trying to sell on here first?
I agree with your comments. I'm in the market for an XC60. I would look more seriously at one offered on this forum by a long term member who I can maybe have more confidence has looked after it. I could go to ebay where anyone can sell any badly looked after lump and I can have no confidence at all.

Just saying....in terms of where I would prefer to buy, this forum is near the top of the list, ebay near the bottom.
V70RMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 12:53   #13
MCV60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70RMW View Post
I agree with your comments. I'm in the market for an XC60. I would look more seriously at one offered on this forum by a long term member who I can maybe have more confidence has looked after it. I could go to ebay where anyone can sell any badly looked after lump and I can have no confidence at all.

Just saying....in terms of where I would prefer to buy, this forum is near the top of the list, ebay near the bottom.

This makes no sense.

Forum member, creates topic and generates interest on how best to sell his private vehicle. Based on advise he then provides an eBay link where the vehicle was advertise accordingly in full detail to a wider audience and reserve met. Non shocker.

Why would he limit his self to here on the possibility one other forum member might have been interested?
MCV60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MCV60 For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2015, 14:01   #14
AngloScot
Master Member

Personally I would never have thought or wanted to buy a second hand car on Ebay, but after following this thread maybe this is the way to go forward with selling/buying second hand cars.
Old May 27th, 2015, 15:51   #15
MCV60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngloScot View Post
Personally I would never have thought or wanted to buy a second hand car on Ebay, but after following this thread maybe this is the way to go forward with selling/buying second hand cars.
Why not? Its just another platform for private sales, with the added benefit that eBay protects the seller and to some degree any potential buyers/bidders can seek a level of confidence in the sellers feedback.
MCV60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 18:38   #16
bogart
Master Member

I would not say Ebay protects the seller definitely did not on my behalf with a couple of dogy buyers.Ebay like its cohort PayPal looks after itself. Not saying it is not a good platform to sell on as it has a massive audience.More and more franchised dealers are using it due to the ever increasing fees levied by Auto trader.
bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 22:43   #17
velocette

Well, I stepped back and looked in the mirror. Not quite sure why, your suggestion was as obscure as your previous comments were unhelpful.

eBay is one of the largest marketplaces for secondhand cars in the UK. The private buyer has the opportunity to review the feedback gained by sellers, some of whom have many hundreds of positive posts and will work hard to resolve problems and avoid negative feedback. This aspect of reputation is something that Autotrader cannot emulate, nor indeed sellers on this forum. There are examples from other enthusiast forums of rogue sellers using the services of a forum to sell. So simply because a Volvo is offered on the Volvo forum, or indeed any other marque, is absolutely no indication of quality and buyers should as ever go by condition, service history and if necessary third party experts.

In this case the seller did very well achieving a price which, although not knowing the car, was in the area which we as retailers might have been thinking about. Of course eBay might not appeal to a proportion of buyers and sellers but there is no doubt it is a big and important part of the market.
velocette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to velocette For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2015, 11:12   #18
dty

Well, thanks for all the interest guys. I'm pleased to say the eBay buyer has collected the car this morning with not a hint of negotiation. £10,850 vs the dealer PX offer of £8,800. Both parties got a good result.
dty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dty For This Useful Post: