Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heater Matrix Hell - What a day

Views : 976

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 30th, 2013, 18:46   #1
andrew_s46
S60 Driver

Unhappy Heater Matrix Hell - What a day

Evening All,

As per the thread title, what a day.

After living with a leaking matrix for some time I decided action needed to be taken to fix it. New matrix ordered and fitted today (along with new Volvo O rings) following the guide on here. As per many of the threads on here, not so much a difficult job but more fiddly than anything else.

The problems started after running the car up to temperature. Initially the job looked to be a success - A bone dry cabin floor with no sign of any leaks and a nice hot heater.

THE DISASTER: Up to temperature and running for around 15-20 mins all of a sudden a rush of coolant into the cabin at what appeared to be pressurised to some extent. Turning the car off and inspecting the leak appears to be coming from one of the pipes into the matrix.

Having read the tips on this forum I assumed that I had maybe not fitted an O ring correctly. I duly stripped everything off again and refitted. I must have completed this process about 4-5 times, each time being faced with ‘the disaster’.

I am at a loss as to how this can be fixed but really don’t want to admit defeat.

My initial thoughts are that the new matrix may have some kind of restricted flow causing a build-up of pressure, leading to coolant blowing out the joint.

Does anyone have an idea why this might be happening or any tips that I could try tomorrow?

Thanks in advance!
andrew_s46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2013, 22:21   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s46 View Post
Evening All,

As per the thread title, what a day.

After living with a leaking matrix for some time I decided action needed to be taken to fix it. New matrix ordered and fitted today (along with new Volvo O rings) following the guide on here. As per many of the threads on here, not so much a difficult job but more fiddly than anything else.

The problems started after running the car up to temperature. Initially the job looked to be a success - A bone dry cabin floor with no sign of any leaks and a nice hot heater.

THE DISASTER: Up to temperature and running for around 15-20 mins all of a sudden a rush of coolant into the cabin at what appeared to be pressurised to some extent. Turning the car off and inspecting the leak appears to be coming from one of the pipes into the matrix.

Having read the tips on this forum I assumed that I had maybe not fitted an O ring correctly. I duly stripped everything off again and refitted. I must have completed this process about 4-5 times, each time being faced with ‘the disaster’.

I am at a loss as to how this can be fixed but really don’t want to admit defeat.

My initial thoughts are that the new matrix may have some kind of restricted flow causing a build-up of pressure, leading to coolant blowing out the joint.

Does anyone have an idea why this might be happening or any tips that I could try tomorrow?

Thanks in advance!
what ever the pressure the O rings shouldnt blow out , was it a genuine volvo heater radiator ? best get another and try that .
Old Dec 1st, 2013, 00:10   #3
byootox
Premier Member

A simple test is to check and see if both pipes are hot going to the matrix as this would tell you if there is a blockage.
However even if the matrix was totally blocked it shouldn't do this anyway.
One thing you could check if it's an after market matrix is to compare the joint with the old one where the pipes connect up.
I had something like this years ago on an old Peugeot I eventually found that there was a slight difference in the diameter of the recesses where the pipe seals sat in.
It was a very subtle difference but enough to make it leak.
In my case it was a cheap s**t matrix.
byootox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2013, 00:32   #4
yeti76

Sounds an odd one. Usually if you tighten the delivery pipe clamp against the o rings it seals well as previously stated.

If I recall the thread is an insert into the plastic retainer. Check its not just spinning, ie plastic cracked etc.

I'd be checking the inner bulkhead connectors too in case its running down. Its a push fit brass fitment like the bulkhead outer. These contain a stack of many o rings and washers. The washers in this area are known to break down over time.

I hope I have worded it in a way you will understand, but its late and i'm tired lol.
yeti76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2013, 02:49   #5
Baffler
Premier Member

Also something to consider...where was the original matrix leaking from? If from the o-rings it might be a good idea to flush out the original matrix and replace just the o-rings?

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 22:24   #6
andrew_s46
S60 Driver

Hi all

Well, I refitted the original volvo matrix back into the car on Sunday morning.

Ran the car for quite some time and took for a short run before building up the confidence to put all the trim etc. back on - so although it is a known weeping unit at least I can actually drive the car around until I can fix with a new matrix.

The aftermarket unit I bought was from eurocarparts. I suspect the unit has a minor design variation from oem or is just the one in however many that are faulty from the factory. Either way I feel quite nervous driving the car now having had this experience; expecting to get sprayed by hot coolant at any moment. Hopefully I will lose this feeling in time.

I managed to damage some of the fins when removing it from the car so unlikely I will get a refund now despite the problem with the supplied matrix not being linked to the fins.

I hope the original unit holds out for a while as I done fancy attempting this again.
andrew_s46 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andrew_s46 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 23:04   #7
t5pete
The three volvo's

Quote:
Hi all

Ran the car for quite some time and took for a short run before building up the confidence to put all the trim etc. back on - so although it is a known weeping unit at least I can actually drive the car around until I can fix with a new matrix.

The aftermarket unit I bought was from eurocarparts. I suspect the unit has a minor design variation from oem or is just the one in however many that are faulty from the factory. Either way I feel quite nervous driving the car now having had this experience; expecting to get sprayed by hot coolant at any moment. Hopefully I will lose this feeling in time.

I managed to damage some of the fins when removing it from the car so unlikely I will get a refund now despite the problem with the supplied matrix not being linked to the fins.

I hope the original unit holds out for a while as I done fancy attempting this again.
Just fitted mine from euro at the weekend I did notice a little weep from where it joins to the pipe work but I only did it hand tight and a little nip with the ratchet and all is fine I will inspect this coming weekend tho after seeing this thread and euro parts matrix
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 23:20   #8
OvlovS70
Still a learning member

Quote:
Hi all

Hello,
Get back onto Euro for a refund, i'm sure they will help.
As for the matrix with this being such a fiddly job I would only use a genuine part, with the work involved I would be looking for longevity.
Cheers
OvlovS70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 19:50   #9
byootox
Premier Member

The two I done years ago with the problem were from Euro as well.
they were missing the packing foam to stop air getting round the edges of the matrix etc and the joints where the pipes mated up were slightly bigger and caused no end of problems.
Exact same story with a Rover 25 I done too.
On the other hand I've fitted a few from them that have been fine.
They were a fraction of the cost of the genuine one I suppose that's why .....
byootox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2013, 17:27   #10
yoda960
Volvo 960

I don't know what genuine heater matrixes for the 850 or s/v/c70 ranges cost, but when I enquired with Simon at FRF about a genuine one for my 940 it was something ridiculous like £400-500. Absolute daylight robbery, even Simon had a chuckle at the price.
yoda960 is offline   Reply With Quote