Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help with auto box problems

Views : 2430

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2011, 23:44   #1
Elliott

Default Help with auto box problems

Not posted on any forum before!
I have 2002 V70 T5 with 170000mls. The other day it just started to clunk into gear when put in D or R & also clunk badly as it went back into gear after slowing down/braking. Vovlo dealer & local repair shop said needs rebuilt box, more than car is worth!
I read forum about the auto box so checked ATF. Very dark brown, didn't smell burnt. Drained ATF & replaced twice. Now looks red on dipstick. After about 100 mls it goes into D & R fine pretty much all the time, but still clunks into gear after lifting off accelerator at speeds between about 40mph & 60 MPH.
Should I change ATF again?
Should I use Trans Tune?
Should I change B4 valve?
Should I continue as is until undrivable?
or Should I scrap car? I really don't want to as I love the car (I've had it for six years & 120000mls, but can't aford new box )
I have also read about changing the valve body on this forum & although when I was young I did most things to Mini 1275GT, like clutch & piston rings, the valve body job looks way over my head despite the fantastic descrption & photos!
I hope someone can help with this
Thanks
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 22:38   #2
Elliott

I'm replying to my own question here!
I hoped I would get some suggestions, perhaps this is posted in the wrong place. Anyway, this is an update. About 1000 miles after gearbox drain & fill, it is now working properly almost all of the time, only the occasional "hard shift" at about 50MPH. I may drain and fill again in a couple of months. On the other hand the emissions warning light is on now (the engine shaped symbol) I disconnected the battery for a half hour to clear the ECM & the light went of for a day or so, but now it's back. I've checked the petrol cap, looked at all the breather hoses I can see & nothing obvious is wrong. The car drives as well as always, MPG still about 29 as usual, no performance worries, so I imagine it is not the lambda sensors, but who knows?
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 01:25   #3
sabresoft
V70 T5 P2

I've also been having intermittent autobox problems with my 2002 V70. In my case the box very occasionally 'flares' when changing up to 3rd. What happens more often for me is that on a trailing throttle at under 20 mph, the box changes to second, then either slips into neutral or does nt engage immediately when hitting the gas again. Same thing happenned to me last week - emission warning light came on. Took it to my local indy the next day, and had a gearbox flush (not a FULL flush that includes oil in cooler & torque convertor). Car was perfect the first day after the flush, problem has now returned again but happens a lot less than before. Garage advised that the emission warning light had come on because a missed gear had been detected - nothing to do with emissions at all. If I can find a good indy, then I plan to have a full gearbox flush, followed by a fluid counter reset.
the B4 server servo cover replaced and two software upgrades installed.
Parts are:
* The B4 servo cover (part no. 30751262) called a piston kit as it comes with circlip and three oil rings) approx £15;
* Part # 30646691.(neutral/first patch) £8.70p
* Part # 30677036 (TCM upgrade) £14.20p.
sabresoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 20:12   #4
bogart
Master Member

I had trouble on mine AFTER flushing the box at 150K. The new fluid obviously realesed a bit of gunge with its new detergent that got stuck somewhere. Wouldn't go into reverse when hot, fine when cold. You can do a fullish flush by say doing a few sperate flushes after which 90%+ of the old fluid will be gone. Also assume you are using the correct fluid which I found at the time was cheapest from Vauxhall dealers.
bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 00:22   #5
sabresoft
V70 T5 P2

Default Atf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart View Post
I had trouble on mine AFTER flushing the box at 150K. The new fluid obviously realesed a bit of gunge with its new detergent that got stuck somewhere. Wouldn't go into reverse when hot, fine when cold. You can do a fullish flush by say doing a few sperate flushes after which 90%+ of the old fluid will be gone. Also assume you are using the correct fluid which I found at the time was cheapest from Vauxhall dealers.
J3309 / JWS3309 spec fluid Vauxhall, Part No 93160393
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 10:08   #6
Elliott

I used the expensive stuff from Volvo (£90 for 8 litres) as I wasn't sure if the Vauxhall or Toyota fluids I'd read about would be ok. Has anyone used this without problems?
Thanks for replies so far!
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 17:33   #7
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I can confirm the Vauxhall fluid is fine, been in my box for the last 15k miles.

I'd suggest you change the B4 cover and get the software updates done, as listed above I don't think a third flush is going to help much. Do make sure the fluid level is correct though.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 19:01   #8
sabresoft
V70 T5 P2

Unhappy Autobox - B4 Servo Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
I can confirm the Vauxhall fluid is fine, been in my box for the last 15k miles.

I'd suggest you change the B4 cover and get the software updates done, as listed above I don't think a third flush is going to help much. Do make sure the fluid level is correct though.
Can anyone advise of a independent ANYWHERE in the South / South-East who can do this? I've spoken to 4 independents recently and they don't have a clue!
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 21:25   #9
martinturnbull

Default Asian warner auto box V70 T5 auto problems

Copy of previous communication with Volvo / r.e this on-going issue I have.

R.E V70 T5 reg: X827 LKE

I have had the car approx. a year, when I got the car the auto box needed doing. It cost me approx. £2000 to have a new box put in Approx. Oct last year.

Since then I have pulled my hair out as I get awful upshifts (mainly third gear)

I also find if accelerating moderately from stand still, then taking foot of throttle (like when lights go to red & you have to stop)

I get a bang, sometimes it feels like I have been hit from behind !

I have been back to the box place countless times, who have assured me it’s NOT the box ?

The last t time they changed the valve body, then the speed sensors, then as a last attempt, changed the whole box. The box is a new one (not re-conned)

I have had the software in the box annulled approximately three or four times ?

After collecting the car approximately three weeks ago from the gearbox place (Early march 2011), the gear box place told me , that the issue was with the throttle body ?
Hence my last visit to Volvo, I was told I would need it stripping, cleaning & then latest software re-put in ? I have paid for this to be done, but been advised by Volvo, that it was clean & that there were no faults ?& the software is up to date! ??????

I really need this sorting as it is really annoying, I want to keep the car.

Is it possible that I need a gear box update (not just checking that I have the latest software, but actually re-upload ?) as the software that is in there could be corrupted ?

This also may be the case with the throttle body software, as above, could they have Not cleaned it & just checked for faults ??

Also The gear box place assure me that DEX 4 is ok, I have read countless threads that this is not true ???? I have also been told by lots of engineers that DEX 4 is ok ???

I am an electrical engineer, but how can I get to the bottom of this ?

I do appreciate your help. I really don’t mind coming down to Tonbridge if needed ?

I know this will cost, probably a new throttle body ??? I am reluctant though as I could just keep spending!!

I have just returned from a town journey today 05/04/2011 and it is worse than ever & I feel I don’t want to drive it anymore, the drive is so bad, it snatches nearly every gear & seems to be worse when you have been driving it / once warm ????

Separate issue.

Also my electric seat (driver side) only works for approx. 20 secs, when first getting in ???? I assume it’s a relay needed ???

Can you help with these issues ?

Trusting this is enough info ?

Thanks

Speak soon.

Martin

Martin Turnbull

Mobile 0777 3333 656

martin@acair.co.uk
martinturnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 21:39   #10
JimG
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresoft View Post
Can anyone advise of a independent ANYWHERE in the South / South-East who can do this? I've spoken to 4 independents recently and they don't have a clue!
These people are highly recommended by forum users.

www.crvolvo.com
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JimG For This Useful Post:

Tags
auto gearbox, autobox, automatic transmission, b4 valve, hard shift, trans tune