Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide to Pollen Filter change

Views : 70011

Replies : 201

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 11:10   #81
zac123

it was just 5 screws for me and it just slid out. there was quite a few electrical connectors stuck to the back of it which needed to be disconnected but apart from seemed to be fairly easy.

love the pic of your C30 by the way. i wanted the C30 but which two kids i opted for the V50
zac123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2017, 23:33   #82
C30Stu

Thumbs up pollen filter.

Just read this tread. Well explained Welton. I'm looking at changing the filter with an activated carbon element. Is it worth removing the glove box for better access and should i disconnect the battery?
C30Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2017, 15:55   #83
Welton
Premier Member

Thank you. I proved to myself (at my first attempt of the job) that you don't need to remove the glove box or disconnect the battery BUT it is fiddly don't get me wrong there's very little room but it is doable with patience.

Sure it would be easier with more access but I'd rather not disturb possibly fragile fixings if I don't need to. Also the 'CEM' unit drops down enough with all the wires still plugged in. Just be careful not to 'bridge' any of the electrics with metal objects/water etc.

Having said all this others have already proved you can dis the battery and drop the glove box for an easier life. I have once powered-down my car and apart from letting it 'go to sleep' first there were no ill effects other than changing the clock time and I think some of the Audio settings like Bass/Treble etc?
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2017, 22:49   #84
C30Stu

Hi Fenton. looking at the thread that Welton has provided and your comments I am looking at replacing the pollen filter on my C30. Is the removal of the glove box above the CEM straight forward. it looks like there are only 2 small screws above the opening with the glovebox open.

Any thoughts. I will definitely disconnect the battery. Do i need to be aware of any issues with regard to reconnecting the battery, codes etc
Old Jan 20th, 2017, 03:44   #85
thespringfield

I did it the other day, following the Haynes manual. Removing glove box was easy it's getting in and about the actual filter that's tricky. I kept the battery connected. Just note which wires you disconnect (there are about 5 or so that need to come off to get the glove box out). I thought I'd remember what went where and then when I put he ignition back on we had an interesting error on the dash and the window wipers would not turn off! Had two cables mixed up! I got a Haynes manual off eBay brand new it wasn't much more than a tenner. Seems a worthwhile investment.
thespringfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2017, 08:15   #86
Welton
Premier Member

I'm not sure I'd be happy pulling the connectors of the CEM with the battery still connected. It's a sensitive piece of kit; you wouldn't want any rogue static or minor electrical sparks when pulling the connectors but you seem to have managed ok.

These cars are supposed to be put to 'sleep' before disconnecting the battery; one method is to open the drivers door and bonnet then wind the window down (in case the car locks itself later on) then shut the door so the courtesy lights go off....and wait...cup of Tea time...about 10 mins later disconnect the main battery (earth lead first, reconnect last).

When i changed my battery I had to reset the clock, I think some Audio settings, and also had to 'tell' the drivers window where the fully closed and fully open stops were by holding the switch constantly in both up and down modes for a few seconds.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2017, 21:04   #87
thespringfield

Yes sorry I never disconnected anything directly from the CEM (apart from one cable that came loose by accident). There are some other cables round about the glove box for various things - I think maybe airbag etc. The Haynes manual tells you to disconnect these ones. Yes I think it's maybe not a bad idea to disconnect the battery - as even without intending to disconnect anything from the CEM it's quite possible for a cable to be pushed out with all the shoving and to'ing and fro'ing needed!
thespringfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2017, 19:53   #88
C30Stu

Thumbs up Guide to pollen Filter Change C30

Hi Guys,

Result.
My C30 is a 2010 model with only a white wing nut headed screw holding the pollen filter cover in position. I Did'nt remove the glove box or disconnect the battery. I followed Weltons guide up to lowering the CEM. I found that once you have unclipped the CEM with the QRF (Quick Release fasteners, aircraft techie speak) and pivoted the CEM to the vertical position it was just a matter of lifting it out of the white mounting bracket. With the carpet folded you could lower the CEM down to rest on the carpet. To remove the bracket i used a 13mm single depth socket with 12" extension bar and ratchet. This allowed you to locate the 2 nuts on the bulkhead studs through the looms with ease and operate the ratchet without hitting any wires on the CEM. I also found that the mounting bracket had two looms attached at each end with plastic clips. These popped out easily. I only lowered the mounting bracket behind the CEM as there was looms down the back and infront of it. As Welton said with the CEM and mounting bracket out of the way the filter was very easy to slide out once the cover was removed.
One other thing to not, is when you put the CEM back in the bracket in the vertical position, lift and rotate it so that the lugs that the CEM rotates on goes into the upper slots/ cutouts so that the QRF's can be done up. I did have a trial run without tools the day before. When it came to the replacement it only took me 25 minutes. Hope this little tweek to Weltons guide helps. Good Luck.
Old Jan 30th, 2017, 10:38   #89
MikeBJ

Interesting thread - is this the same technique for a 2011 (Generation 3) V70 please?
MikeBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 17:23   #90
1mellofello

Default Good guide thanks

Good guide.

Is there one that shows glove box removal?
1mellofello is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vaiotag