Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil Dipstick

Views : 12335

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 28th, 2010, 23:16   #1
jerryppl

Default Oil Dipstick

Can anyone tell me where the oil dipstick is under the bonnet. I have looked in the owners manual and the picture does not resemble the engine at all. I can see where you would top oil up but not where the dipstick is to test the level of oil.
Engine is V70 D5 205PS

Thank you

Jerry
jerryppl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 07:34   #2
dazlewis1970

I have a 2010 D5 and the manual came with an errata page explaining the dipsick is electronic - you can see the level on the instrument cluster display by cycling thriugh the info options.

It only shows up whan the car is not running (and with an appropriate key position - I have keyless but so far as I can tell it's the equivalent of key position II).

It's a bit of a junk gimmick really and mine didn't work to start with. I took it in and the dealer said they checked the level manually, topped it up and reset the sensor.

However, it was still wasn't working and when it went back again the dealer said it wasn't working because the oil had been overfilled at the factory - they seemed to forget they had "checked the level and topped it up" themselves only the week before...

Darren
dazlewis1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dazlewis1970 For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2010, 09:46   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

the "service dipstick" is grey and near the bottom of the engine at the front, you will need a torch to find it .. the electronic reading is accurate , remember it needs 20 miles to stabalise after a change in level , like a service for example ..
Old May 29th, 2010, 12:58   #4
Nick44
Ex 850/V70 Register Keepe

However, it was still wasn't working and when it went back again the dealer said it wasn't working because the oil had been overfilled at the factory - they seemed to forget they had "checked the level and topped it up" themselves only the week before...

See recall letter to D5 owners. Oil sump filling itself with unburnt fuel.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 17:14   #5
shimon340

Having seen the pitfalls of OEMs who solely provide electronic oil level gauges and no dipstick, I'm greatly relieved that Volvo is also continuing with the standard dipstick for technicians, for those willing to open the bonnet and as a better back up.

Can anyone confirm if the new 2.0 D3 and D4 also has a standard backup dipstick as well as the in car oil level feature?

thanks
shimon340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 12:49   #6
clivea
clivea

I have read this post with interest as I have a 205ps MY2010. It recently had a recall re the DFP/sump levels and the dealer fitted a decal on the front LHS of the engine bay (O/S) to show that when the car is filled wiith oil you should only fill to 2/3rds of the max level. I had expected them to have dropped the sump level but on the electronic dipstick display it still showed oil at max, but since the car was due in for its first service within 4 weeks I decided to leave it until then. The car has been serviced and has run for some 150 miles with several starts but whenever I check the electronic dipstick it shows full. Are these electronic dipsticks accurate, or should I take it back to ensure that the dealer has not just filled the oil level to max? If that were the case and I did have a small rise in sump level due to DPF regeneration the messsage display would be telling me to take it into a dealer, not something I fancy when towing in Europe during summer.

April 2014 Subaru Forester XE Lineatronic.
2010-April 2014 XC70 SE Premium 205ps D5 Geartronic AWD 2010MY Oyster Grey
clivea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 13:53   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

when you have the software upgrade which goes with this recall i assume it re calibrates the electronic dipstick so that it shows full when 2/3 up the stick , volvo never go into details about what the software actualy does ! ...
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 09:52   #8
clivea
clivea

That's a possibilty but it then leaves no margin for any fuel excess to raise the sump level unless the software accounts for that and does not show a rising level until it actually reaches the max line. I am calling in at the dealers tomorrow so will discuss it with them. I juust hope DPF/fuelling are'nt going to be the bete noire of the XC70 D5 205ps, as my first Volvo was a 245 auto on an A-plate (circa early 80s) and it pinked badly when the lead content of 4 star fuel was being reduced. The engine had no anti-knock sensor and Volvo were unable to do anything except retard the ignition which led to overheat and poor mpg. Yet the 245s going to east africa had a reduced compression ratio but Volvo would not entertain modifying my car.Eventually I decided to sell it for cash to a trader as when Volvo suggested fitting a double head gasket! It has taken me 30 years to return to the marque.

Old Apr 27th, 2011, 16:03   #9
Absolutevolvo

Clivea

I can understand your concerns. I have done 8500 miles in my MY11 D5 and just checked the physical dipstick which shows two thirds full as it was when delivered in October.

Prior to this car I had a 185 D5 which did show increasing levels until it went in for the recall software upgrade this time last year after which it didn't rise at all. Lots of posts last year on this issue which have now largely stopped so I think they have fixed the issue.

Chris
Absolutevolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 17:45   #10
clivea
clivea

Chris,

that sounds encouraging but did the electronic disptick show full, or 2/3rds? Mine has done 15000 miles and has not shown any DPF warnings but I don't tend to use it for short runs.

Last edited by clivea; Apr 27th, 2011 at 20:24.