Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any Advice?

Views : 13474

Replies : 248

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 31st, 2020, 00:48   #111
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Ah yes John the Maxi. Advertised as "Ideal for a young man about to start a family".

Super car really. Almost drove itself.

We had several of 'em. Linda had a P and then an S reg, which she had when we got married. Her parents had a year old T reg when they retired, and our last one was a nearly new X reg in Champagne biege that rusted away before our very eyes - had a bottom half respray before it was 18 months old!

But none of that helps Chris.

Regards, John.
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 00:52   #112
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Or, Search for: car back seat bed

Something like ebay item 293206738662. Just put that number in the ebay search box.

That is not a particular recommendation. Just one search result that is copiously illustrated. To give the idea.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Infla...t/293206738662

Nice idea but a serious design flaw would prevent use by anyone over about 4'2" in the vertical dept and about 1/3 that in the horizontal!

If your lad wants to be able to fit a double mattress in the back, it will have to be an estate/245 and then the mattress will have to be a small double (4'0 wide) as the wheel arches encroach into the load bay. For simply transporting a double mattress, that isn't a problem but sleeping could cause some discomfort with a normal double size mattress.
These measurements are based on the 7xx range but i'm fairly sure the 2xx is the same in the length and width.

There are very few saloons where the back seats fold down, in fact i only know of one and that's the Rover 800/early Honda Legend and i'm not too sure about the Honda.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 08:03   #113
Dippydog
Premier Member

I think very few if any saloons of the 2xx era had fold down rear seat backs,although I know both the Senator B and Omega had them.As for the Volvos would the rear floor pans differ from saloon to estate?
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 08:18   #114
Chris152

Well, that idea's now located in the long grass.
Is that airbed supposed to be for two people? Can you imagine how you'd wake up in the morning?!
The more I look at these cars, the more they're growing on me. Maybe a saloon for me, an estate for the lad...
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 09:06   #115
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
I think very few if any saloons of the 2xx era had fold down rear seat backs,although I know both the Senator B and Omega had them.As for the Volvos would the rear floor pans differ from saloon to estate?
The Omega was certainly much later than the 240 series, about 1997 launch date, fairly sure the Senator B didn't have folding back seats either but the last of them may have done.
The Volvo floorpans are pretty similar, i suppose folding back seats could be retro-fitted but the cross brace/bulkhead would have to come out to fit them. Could cause problems with the boot lid hinges among other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
Well, that idea's now located in the long grass.
Is that airbed supposed to be for two people? Can you imagine how you'd wake up in the morning?!
The more I look at these cars, the more they're growing on me. Maybe a saloon for me, an estate for the lad...
It's meant to be for two people Chris, yes! Two midgets or perhaps two childern, no more than that i would think though!

That sounds like a very good idea, an estate and a saloon. Best of both worlds! There's a lot of storage space under the rear floor where a single ring camping gas stove, the right sort of folding chairs and table can all be stored, various other oddments can also be squeezed in here and there........... perfectly possible to turn a 2/7/9xx estate into an instant camper by adding a few bits that can be easily removed after.

The beauty of it is, you don't need to make it permanent so you still have a capable load-lugger as well.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 10:52   #116
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That sounds like a very good idea, an estate and a saloon. Best of both worlds! There's a lot of storage space under the rear floor where a single ring camping gas stove, the right sort of folding chairs and table can all be stored, various other oddments can also be squeezed in here and there........... perfectly possible to turn a 2/7/9xx estate into an instant camper by adding a few bits that can be easily removed after.

The beauty of it is, you don't need to make it permanent so you still have a capable load-lugger as well.
Developing that still further, 'L.S.', add a full length roof-rack for surfboards, canoes, etc., and a tow-bar for a camping trailer (and added crash protection) and you really do have all you need. We regularly carried a small marine-ply dinghy on the roof of both our 145s and 245s back in the day.

Regards, John.
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 11:11   #117
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The possibilities are endless John, limited only by someones imagination (and budget!) but even just using the main car, it's surprising how much you can squeeze in!

Old Feb 1st, 2020, 14:12   #118
Chris152

Just trying to get a handle on what parts cost and availability - is there a go-to place online for parts in the UK?
Thanks.
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 15:06   #119
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
Just trying to get a handle on what parts cost and availability - is there a go-to place online for parts in the UK?
Thanks.
For the run of the mill plugs, points, condensors, rotor arm, dizzy cap, leads on the Bxx engines, they're all off-the-shelf Ford bits from a similar era so the cheapest way is your local motor factor.

If you get one with the later B2xx engine, then a slightly different story.

For most genuine bits, your best bet is probably FRF in Swansea but until you get a car, it's going to be difficult to say whether pattern or genuine as we can't predict what bits you'll need.

For the oil filter i would go genuine, the difference i cost is pennies and you should even get a 10% discount because you're on here. I think officially you have to be a paid-up VOC member but my local Volvo dealer parts guy usually gives it to me.

Then there's a few other aftermarket suppliers, people like Charlton Volvo in Scotland and PFV (Parts for Volvos), Skandix in Germany, IPD, FCPEuro, Rock Auto all in the USA and a few others. All depends what you're after at the time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 20:25   #120
Chris152

Thanks for the replacement parts reply LS - gives us some idea of what it all might cost.

Still looking for the right car, the better of the two options we were looking at sold to a buyer who'd made an offer before we contacted the seller, and he returned and bought it; the other is probably overpriced, waiting to see if it'll come down at all. There may be a couple more in the mix, but ideally we're clear it would be a 2.3, pref without cat. We'll see what comes up...

Chatting today about how he might develop the car when insurance becomes less an issue, these two questions came up:

1. Can you add a turbo to a standard engine (and if so, is it the 2.3?) onto which you can bolt/ which you adapt for the turbo, or is the turbo a completely different engine?

2. How much does a stainless exhaust cost for a 240? I've done some searches but can't find an approximate price. I had one on an MGB many years ago and it made a great sound, and I'm assuming lasts much longer. I'm also assuming changing to stainless isn't an insurance issue?

Cheers, Chris