Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xenon-lighting; do or don't?

Views : 3225

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2008, 11:22   #1
MikeyV40

Question Xenon-lighting; do or don't?

Hi all,

Recently I've bought a 1999 V40 1.9D Europa, Phase 1. I'm very pleased with it, regardless its mileage, but there's one thing I would like to change:

My V40 is equipped with Dual Headlights, pretty good, but I would like to change my headlights to Xenon-lights, this for the fact I live in a place where good lighting is a must because of weather and (real) darkness at night.

I would like to know if this is possible and if it's a do or don't. I'm technician for profession so the degree of difficulty isn't the problem, nor the budget. What are things I have to take care of, look for, and so on?
MikeyV40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 12:55   #2
spangoolies
Better Than Premier!

get a set of HID's. they are really easy to install (a good kit is simply plug-and-play) and the results are amazing. just finding somewhere to hide the ballasts away from engine heat is the only tricky part, i hid mine behind the indicators. i have 2 sets of bulbs, 5k and 12k, currently running 12k which are a bit blue, but i have lowered the beam a bit and not been pulled by the police yet (touch wood). everything is lit up in the roads, anything slightly reflective is like its got its own light source. i bought my kit off another owner in the states, so i have no idea what make. i think you will find some tips on www.sharphid.com one of my favourite installs and i will do this to all my cars from now on

Last edited by spangoolies; Aug 16th, 2008 at 12:57.
spangoolies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 13:01   #3
Rooster
Speed freak

Get a H7 Hid kit bought off ebay, I've had a kit in my old 2.0t and i've just fit another set in my new s40,

The ballest packs fit standard on back of headlight behind main beam so i just fit them there, its abit of a pain if you ever want to replace main beam or sidelight bulb but they look neat and tidy,

I have 8k bulbs in mine, give a nice white light and i have never been pulled and have they go straight through MOT with them in and i never get flashed my people coming other way, well no more than before i changed them to Hid anyway
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 06:20   #4
Dandle
Master Member

You shouldnt really be fitting HIDS into light reflectors made for halogen bulbs. The light scatter will be all wrong, HIDS are normally fitted into projector lenses as they cutoff the light correctly at the edges of the beam. You will also find if they run aot hotter than the halogens they replace they will eventually start to burn off the reflector silver near the bulb.

An alternative halogen lamp is the Osram Silverstars, they give alot more light over standard and are a merked improvement.

Last edited by Dandle; Aug 18th, 2008 at 06:25.
Dandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 09:29   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

The S40/V40 factory HID lights use normal reflectors no problem and the HID bulbs run cooler than halogen ones . the halogen bulbs on later S40/V50 are already starting to damage the plastic lenses on some cars ! I know what you are saying regarding light scatter but its not really a problem especialy if the beam pattern is ok for MOT and no one flashes you at night ...
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 11:11   #6
Misko

Why don't you try Philips X-treme Power +80% bulbs, have them for the last 2 months and they seem very good. Don't know how long they will last though.

Misko
Misko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 18:28   #7
Dandle
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The S40/V40 factory HID lights use normal reflectors no problem and the HID bulbs run cooler than halogen ones . the halogen bulbs on later S40/V50 are already starting to damage the plastic lenses on some cars ! I know what you are saying regarding light scatter but its not really a problem especialy if the beam pattern is ok for MOT and no one flashes you at night ...
The xenon reflectors aren't the same as halogen reflectors though and on top of that wont be "E" marked and approved for the HID lamps to be fitted to them.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 21:42   #8
spangoolies
Better Than Premier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandle View Post
You shouldnt really be fitting HIDS into light reflectors made for halogen bulbs. The light scatter will be all wrong, HIDS are normally fitted into projector lenses as they cutoff the light correctly at the edges of the beam. You will also find if they run aot hotter than the halogens they replace they will eventually start to burn off the reflector silver near the bulb.

An alternative halogen lamp is the Osram Silverstars, they give alot more light over standard and are a merked improvement.
sorry, but that statement is wrong, my hids are almost cool to the touch. a lot less than standard bulbs. every car should be fitted with hids as standard, there is no other substitute.

spangoolies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 21:47   #9
Dandle
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangoolies View Post
sorry, but that statement is wrong, my hids are almost cool to the touch. a lot less than standard bulbs. every car should be fitted with hids as standard, there is no other substitute.
The stament is not wrong i said "if" as I didnt know if they ran hotter of not.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 21:53   #10
Dandle
Master Member

Heres a quote from the DOT

In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.

The following is the legal rationale:

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).

3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.
In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

If you require any further information regarding the regulations covered by this fact sheet, please contact the DfT at the address below:

Transport Technology and Standards 6
Department for Transport
Zone 2/04
Great Minster House
76 Marsham Street Telephone: 020 7944 2078
London Fax: 020 7944 2196
SW1P 4DR Email: TTS.enquiries@dft.gsi.gov.uk

Tags
lighting, xenon