Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 GSI Super Unleaded

Views : 586

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 6th, 2008, 14:46   #1
lampieuk

Default S40 GSI Super Unleaded

Hi all, first post so please be gentle with me.

I have recently obtained an S40 1.8i GSI from my brother.

After reading several posts etc. I noticed that it is recommended to run it on Super Unleaded fuel to prevent coking.

He has had the car from new and I know that he has never used Super Unleaded fuel. My question is, is it worth me starting to use Super Unleaded fuel now, or am I just wasting money as any damage will have already been done ?

Many thanks.

PS
The car is a 53 plate, with 46,000 on the clock.
lampieuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 15:34   #2
Rufe
TRADER

Hi mate and welcome to the forum

Before we go any further i am assuming you meant GDi (not GSI), the Mitsubishi engined volvo.

As you have read already, these are quite known for coking up quite badly and i have also read that it can help to run on super. There will no doubt be some coking up occurred already, but the car has a relatively low mileage compared to many other older GDi's (they have been around since 1998 in the S40/V40) so you may benefit from running on super now . How much of a benefit it is though i couldn't say, i will be honest. Hopefully some one who has owned the GDi will be able to help a bit more.

<<< FOR ALL ENQUIRIES PHONE: 01792 790066 / 01792 784272 >>>
* YOU MUST QUOTE 'C3' WHEN CALLING FOR OUR BEST PRICES! (weekdays 9am to 5pm) *
Rufe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 21:03   #3
lampieuk

Hi Rufe and thanks for the reply.

Yes, you are correct I did mean the GDi (told you I was new !!).

Does anyone else have any comments which might help ?
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 21:09   #4
stevo48
Premier Member

As above, it apparently helps if you use high octane fuel and take the car for an Italian tune up once a week (give it a good thrash down the motorway), the gdi engine seems to like hard driving and it contributes to keeping the coking up to a minimum, if the head does coke up it will require removal of the cylinder head to rectify also if the timing belt is due for replacing, on that particular engine it is very labour intensive and therefore very expensive to replace.
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 11:01   #5
DavidMarron

Yes - a good hard thrash once a week and I use Shell Optomax whenever possible.

I had to have a decoke and new injectors (plus cam belt) so be warned!
DavidMarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 11:22   #6
lampieuk

Thanks for the advice guys.

Are you able to give me a ball park figure for how much you paid for decoke, injectors and new cam-belt ?

Still think I will keep the car though as I do like it and it cost me nowt in the first place
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 15:55   #7
DavidMarron

the price was a shocking amount.

I was lucky in that the dealer that sold me the car allowed me to have Volvo do the decoke at £100 per hour! So that was about £1500 that I didnt have to pay for. While the engine was in bits I paid for the cam parts as they have to be off in the decoke so it was only a couple of hundred for all the belts, pulleys and a bit of extra labour. I have a proper price somewhere.

I then needed new injectors that came (off the top of my head) to £800 fitted.

I now have to keep the car for a lifetime to get the money's worth but i had the last one for 16 years
DavidMarron is offline   Reply With Quote