Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

It seems an old problem may be back.

Views : 2670

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 16th, 2019, 11:10   #11
SignumGB
XC70 Owner/VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve XC60 View Post
I've said it before and will say it again (in the hope that maybe someone from Volvo is watching ), they should take the lead from the way the Adblue warnings work and do the same for a regen.

When it needs a regen you get to choose to do it on a run where you know you will be driving long enough to let it run its course. If you fail to elect to do the regen within a certain period of time then the system automatically runs the regen and then it is up to the driver whether to keep driving or to stop and risk the impact on the DPF / leakage into the oil.

This would be a software update, presumably, as ultimately all you are doing is taking a feed from the sensor that determines when to run a regen together with toggling when that regen actually occurs. I assume no hardware changes would be necessary to introduce this solution.

I accept this is adding further complexity to an already complex piece of kit, but it is no more than the added complexity of Adblue (if you dont do something - ie fill up the Ad Blue / run the regen - within the relevant mileage / time allowance then you suffer the consequence - which for Ad Blue is that you cant restart the engine, which is arguably harsher than simply risking an incomplete regen).

Just saying, again.
And it was this functionality that was great on the VAG DPF app! If a regen was approaching, I'd do an extra 5-10 miles or so to get it through the regen process before going home. If time allowed mind you.

2012 Volvo XC70 3.0L AWD T6 [CAN🍁]
2015 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D4 SE LUX - Sold 78,728 Miles (July 2023) [GB]
2012 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D3 SE LUX - Written off 76,500 Miles (Aug 2017)[GB]
SignumGB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SignumGB For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 15:01   #12
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
A software solution for a hardware problem?
Not as silly as you imply, according to Volvo, as a result of a spate of O2 sensors sooting up a software modification was made to increase the number of DPF regenerations made. This has increased the likelihood of more aborted regenerations when engines are switched off mid-cycle.
The resultant seepage of diesel from combustion chamber to sump may cause oil levels to rise. A revised software induced regeneration timetable should help to eliminate this, so yes, a software fix for a hardware problem.
I agree that a dashboard indication that a regeneration is taking place would be very useful.

Last edited by cassell; Oct 16th, 2019 at 15:04.
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 16:56   #13
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
Not as silly as you imply, according to Volvo, as a result of a spate of O2 sensors sooting up a software modification was made to increase the number of DPF regenerations made. This has increased the likelihood of more aborted regenerations when engines are switched off mid-cycle.
The resultant seepage of diesel from combustion chamber to sump may cause oil levels to rise. A revised software induced regeneration timetable should help to eliminate this, so yes, a software fix for a hardware problem.
I agree that a dashboard indication that a regeneration is taking place would be very useful.
I can tell when my car is doing a regeneration as the stop start becomes unavailable and the icon is crossed and when slowing down at junctions etc there is a distinct deeper exhaust note, a burble sound.
I wish there were a way of delaying it and doing it on a longer faster run as it often happens during a trip around town when driving slow and stopping often.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 17:49   #14
SignumGB
XC70 Owner/VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I can tell when my car is doing a regeneration as the stop start becomes unavailable and the icon is crossed and when slowing down at junctions etc there is a distinct deeper exhaust note, a burble sound.
I wish there were a way of delaying it and doing it on a longer faster run as it often happens during a trip around town when driving slow and stopping often.
I'll need to keep an ear out for that. Have noticed at random times start/stop unavailable on some outings, so that could be it!

Old Oct 16th, 2019, 19:55   #15
Zebster
Upstanding Member

The 'Car Scanner' app - when properly configured - gives DPF loading and sensor data for my VEA model. Pretty sure it works on older 5-cylinder Volvo engines.
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 20:14   #16
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Your reference to the deeper exhaust note is interesting, I've noticed this a few times (you can hear the car stepping down through the gear in a more pronounced way through the exhaust sounds too). I'd never connected it to regen.

Thanks!

:wq
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 20:23   #17
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
Your reference to the deeper exhaust note is interesting, I've noticed this a few times (you can hear the car stepping down through the gear in a more pronounced way through the exhaust sounds too). I'd never connected it to regen.

Thanks!

:wq
Exactly as you describe. Make a note of the stop/start icon next time you hear it, it will be crossed out.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Oct 16th, 2019 at 20:27.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 16:54   #18
SignumGB
XC70 Owner/VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
The 'Car Scanner' app - when properly configured - gives DPF loading and sensor data for my VEA model. Pretty sure it works on older 5-cylinder Volvo engines.
Use a normal OBDII dongle?

Old Oct 19th, 2019, 22:12   #19
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
How can you 'tell' ?. There are a number of reasons why stop/start may be unavailable. Identifying adeeper exaust note or hearing a burble depends upon how good your hearing is. To surggest such hit or miss methods of identifying a regen is hardly the answer.
Not a 'pop' at you, merely my frustration at Volvo failing to respond to an obvious need over a number of years. The VAG app proves it's possible.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 22:17   #20
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Please explain in very simple terms how to achieve. Hardware, software and set up.

Frank
2017 MY V90
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote