Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auto stop start

Views : 3628

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2019, 13:32   #21
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevwalker245 View Post
I have a 59 plate C30 (1.6 edrive), and the edrive (start stop) function is no longer working.
I have replaced the start/stop battery as that was my first thought and ensured that both batteries (start/stop & main) are fully charged, and yet the start stop function still doesn’t work.

I then explored the functionality of the edrive system by rolling to a stop, with edrive selected and with the car in gear, I deliberately stalled the car by lifting the clutch with the car still in gear and brakes applied. As the car stalls the dashboard tells me that depress the clutch to start. When I depress the clutch the care does start as it's supposed to.

Similarly if I roll to a stop, with edrive selected and with the car in gear, and again I deliberately stalled the car by lifting the clutch with the car still in gear and brakes applied. As the car stalls I then move the car out of gear and release the clutch the dashboard tells me that depress the clutch to start – hence this now represents the conditions for auto stop/start and when you depress the clutch the car starts.

Hence I believe the system would work if I could establish what sensor is used to detect the car has come to rest as this must be faulty as the car will not cut out automatically when operated normally.

Anyone got any ideas
there are probably 10 reasons why the stop start is not working , top of the list is a battery below 80% charged ... the stop/start battery is never at fault , it has an easy life , it is the main battery which does all the hard work .. Charge the main battery for at least 24 hours and try again , but look in the handbook for all the reasons why stop/start will not work , cold temperatures like we have now is one of them . The car holds all the date you could want about stop start operation in cluding the last 10 reasons why it did not work , your dealer will soon sort it , but charge the main battery for at least 24 hours , that last 20% take s along time to get up to to 100% ... Take the battery off the car to charge it ... that will reset the stop start data and make it work again until is encounters the next criteria to disable it ...
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 17:27   #22
Parky12

Always the first thing to turn off once the computer has come to life
I find if I don't turn it off I end up with numerous alerts due to power steering faults each time I set off and it has had to start> I try to pick my routes where I don't sit in traffic. I would rather do a few more miles and motor on than sit in traffic, well my brain thinks so
XC60 15MY 181 SE AWD Savile Grey (previous)
Parky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 00:09   #23
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

I personally find the start stop annoying and is permanently switched to off.

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 03:18   #24
antman99
VOC Member

I was rather surprised with my t4 xc60, I thought stop start would be useless as had been on any automatic I’d ever driven before but combined with the auto hold I find it fine, the only time it can be frustrating is if I am trying to make a quick get away from a junction but in those cases I just hold back a bit and roll the last little bit so it does not shut off.

EV or Plug in Hybrid? Octopus Go, 5p per KwH for 4 hours at night, £50 credit to each of us if you use my referral link - https://share.octopus.energy/rust-stone-267
antman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 16:49   #25
vman99
Estateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyfrog View Post
I personally find the start stop annoying and is permanently switched to off.
Hi Rustyfrog, have you found away to permanently switch off Stop-Start, or do you switch off every time you start the car.

I have tried to store Dynamic drive mode, with stop-start swiched off in the individual driver mode, but each time I start the engine, stop-start retuns even though Dynamic is still stored.

Am I doing something wrong?

2019 V60 D4 Manual. Fusion Red.
vman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 17:09   #26
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman99 View Post
Hi Rustyfrog, have you found away to permanently switch off Stop-Start, or do you switch off every time you start the car.

I have tried to store Dynamic drive mode, with stop-start swiched off in the individual driver mode, but each time I start the engine, stop-start retuns even though Dynamic is still stored.

Am I doing something wrong?
Unfortunately the car is designed to revert back to “Comfort” mode when ever you restart to comply with EU emissions rules, so you just need to select “Dynamic” at every restart.
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 17:29   #27
Zebster
Upstanding Member

My older V60 will tell you why the stop/start has become inactive, if you drill down into the menu system.
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 18:58   #28
warwick

Mine was reluctant to work properly at new until the car had done a few miles i.e. battery fully charged and has been 100% for the last twelve months. I do tend to switch mine off if not likely to stop for any length of time.
warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 08:29   #29
Murph7355

I don't have drive mode select, but am pretty sure I can disable the auto stop/start from the settings area (I think when I swipe right from the main screen on the centre panel).

Maybe this changed on later cars for emissions compliance....
Murph7355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 09:27   #30
RS3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
My older V60 will tell you why the stop/start has become inactive, if you drill down into the menu system.
And my 2017 V40 defaults to the last status when started, so if I turn it off, it won't enable stop/start on subsequent journeys unless I turn it on again

I reprogrammed it with VDash. Unfortunately I don't think that option is available for SPA cars.
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote