Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Garage Racking

Views : 761

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2021, 10:46   #1
James77

Default Garage Racking

Morning all,

Finally decided I will swap my wheels this season to the winter tyre/wheel combo wasn't going to bother as I'm not going far (with great sadness the Alps are off limits) and it's relatively mild in the south.

Decided to swap to keep the winter rubber rolling which is probably a good idea.

I store my wheels on this sort of racking:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/1325KG-Capa...135376&sr=8-28

I noticed that white mould has spread over the mdf type wooden shelves. I presume this is due to using a condensing tumble drier in the garage, wet bikes going in/out and general lack of ventilation.

I plan to use a spray bleach to attempt to kill the spores rather than just wipe down. Any other advice that might do the job and not destroy the surface of the shelves, perhaps vinegar?

How do others store their wheels, I did consider some sort of wheel hook but living in new build with single skin garage walls I'm concerned the heavy wheels will pull the wall down!
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 11:22   #2
Hunter303

Can’t help with wheel storage issue but I was recently told by a roofer that they just use white vinegar to remove moss; tried it myself and it’s effective so would give that a go with the mould. Your garage will stink so you’ll need to ventilate!
Hunter303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 11:44   #3
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
Morning all,

Finally decided I will swap my wheels this season to the winter tyre/wheel combo wasn't going to bother as I'm not going far (with great sadness the Alps are off limits) and it's relatively mild in the south.

Decided to swap to keep the winter rubber rolling which is probably a good idea.

I store my wheels on this sort of racking:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/1325KG-Capa...135376&sr=8-28

I noticed that white mould has spread over the mdf type wooden shelves. I presume this is due to using a condensing tumble drier in the garage, wet bikes going in/out and general lack of ventilation.

I plan to use a spray bleach to attempt to kill the spores rather than just wipe down. Any other advice that might do the job and not destroy the surface of the shelves, perhaps vinegar?

How do others store their wheels, I did consider some sort of wheel hook but living in new build with single skin garage walls I'm concerned the heavy wheels will pull the wall down!
You can't beat bleach for mould. Make up a solution of Domestos and wipe it on. Cheap and easy.

As for wheel storage I clean them carefully after taking them off and store them on their side one on top of each other on the floor. I don't want them to be seen when the garage door is open so I have built a wooden "house" for both sets of wheels. This encloses them on all side apart from one side. The open side is then facing into the garage. As a plus I can then use the top of the house as additional workbench.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 16:57   #4
dling

I store them on this:
https://www.galaxus.ch/en/s4/product...s=950-1325-641

It was a bit difficult to fit the 20” on them, but finally I did it.
dling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 01:03   #5
Davebbass

I use HG mould killer, can't fault it!

Moving forwards to try and stop the mould, we have similar issues in our cellar where we've got the freezer, various shelves for tools, general rubbish and tinned food, and it gets very cold and damp. We've put a dehumidifier down there, and an 700watt oil filled radiator on a smart socket to come on when it gets less than 3 degrees outside. The dehumidifier set to 70% extraction needs emptying twice a day, so it's pulling out a lot. Could potentially help!
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 08:57   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The only thing that really kills mould spores is bleach. Once removed, i'd strongly suggest painting the MDF shelves with anti-fungal paint.

That said, you might find the MDF is compromised already and leaving wheels on it will cause it to firstly bow and then collapse, dumping your wheels on the deck and possibly doing some collateral damage to something else on their way. Might be a better solution to find a local wood yard that's open and go and buy some new MDF, they'll usually cut it to size and if they're anything like my local one, a lot cheaper and more knowledgeable than the likes of B&Q, Wickes etc.
Once you've got your new MDF, paint it with anti-fungal paint before putting into service.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Jan 21st, 2021 at 10:31. Reason: Speeling
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 10:17   #7
Steve XC60
Structural member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post

As for wheel storage I clean them carefully after taking them off and store them on their side one on top of each other on the floor.
I also do this but I have a 2" thick board between the bottom wheel and the floor and store each wheel in a Heyner Tyre Storage bag. I also swap the stacking order around, about half way between changes, although I doubt this is really necessary.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve XC60 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 10:23   #8
RS3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by dling View Post
I store them on this:
https://www.galaxus.ch/en/s4/product...s=950-1325-641

It was a bit difficult to fit the 20” on them, but finally I did it.
I store mine on a similar trolley. I also run a Meaco 8DDL desiccant dehumidifier in the garage over the winter months, as it does otherwise get damp, and it's worth it to protect my tools IMO.

I have one wall lined with racking fitted with melamine covered shelving and no trace of mould.
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RS3100 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 13:10   #9
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve XC60 View Post
I also do this but I have a 2" thick board between the bottom wheel and the floor and store each wheel in a Heyner Tyre Storage bag. I also swap the stacking order around, about half way between changes, although I doubt this is really necessary.
I should have said I also have a board between the wheels and the floor as my "Wheel House" has a bottom as well as a top and 3 sides. Makes it easier and far more stable if I need to drag it around the garage. Otherwise the action of dragging it would tend to try and splay the sides apart. I also carefully sweep out the house and diligently check the sides of all the tyres on storing them to make sure no stones or anything are pressing into the sidewall on stacking.
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 13:13   #10
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

One other point on damp. Our detached garage was very damp when we moved in and there was mould on the back of the wooden up and over doors. I installed vents in all the soffits as there were no air vents. The garage was immediately far far better and now 15 years later we have never had a problem with damp or mould. It just needs airflow.

Soffit vents are simple to fit. You just need a circular hole saw and the round plastic vents just clip in the hole created. Just don't accidently try and cut a hole where there is a beam......
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post: