Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel Particulate Filter - Wish List

Views : 30701

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 25th, 2015, 11:10   #51
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drgoodlove View Post
Sorry to hi jack at this late stage but I have something I wish to share
1. My mate works for Shell research and does not use v power as its a marketing ploy
2. Another mate is a petrol tanker driver and collects for many of the big fuel companies. All the petrol comes from one of a very few refineries that are left and the bigger companies add a double shot of detergent compared to your supermarkets and makes very little difference!
People who use v power and ultimate are wasting their money, sorry people
These stories go on and on and on and around in circles and you my friend are just another cog in the wheel!

Do you not realise that companies as we have just found out get taken to the courts for misleading the public, and you make a statement like that.

My Father worked for BP at the Isle of Grain when it was there and i have seen ALL tankers come in and fill at the gantry for just one type of fuel but it is the additives that companies put in it to make them better and not just "shots of detergent"

You have to use Premium fuels for Performance cars ,have you never thought of that, and they will not run properly on ordinary fuels.

I have been fortunate to of owned performance cars most of my life and therefore always use the higher octane and cleaner fuel.

I have used Shell V power or Nitro as it is called now for years and when going back to crap fuel in an emergency the motor performs like crap.

I would rather pay for cleaner fuel day by day than have a wretched great bill at the end of the year because the valves have gone west due to carbon deposits.

If anyone cannot tell the difference when putting a better fuel in there car then they are simply not interested in cars or drive really sedately that one cannot tell the difference or there bum is numb !

Also all this GREEN thingy and DPF`s.......you put your cheap nasty dirty fuel in to burn instead of a Premium grade so then the DPF does a regen more often.....and regen`s burn a lot of fuel to get the temperature up to get rid of the crap and all that has been saved because you think you have a GREEN motor then is all let go at once......so much for Expensive Technology that you the consumer buys.

How is Gillingham by the way as that is where i come from....Lol

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

Last edited by 960kg; Oct 25th, 2015 at 11:15.
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2015, 11:29   #52
Drgoodlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
These stories go on and on and on and around in circles and you my friend are just another cog in the wheel!

Do you not realise that companies as we have just found out get taken to the courts for misleading the public, and you make a statement like that.

My Father worked for BP at the Isle of Grain when it was there and i have seen ALL tankers come in and fill at the gantry for just one type of fuel but it is the additives that companies put in it to make them better and not just "shots of detergent"

You have to use Premium fuels for Performance cars ,have you never thought of that, and they will not run properly on ordinary fuels.

I have been fortunate to of owned performance cars most of my life and therefore always use the higher octane and cleaner fuel.

I have used Shell V power or Nitro as it is called now for years and when going back to crap fuel in an emergency the motor performs like crap.

I would rather pay for cleaner fuel day by day than have a wretched great bill at the end of the year because the valves have gone west due to carbon deposits.

If anyone cannot tell the difference when putting a better fuel in there car then they are simply not interested in cars or drive really sedately that one cannot tell the difference or there bum is numb !

Also all this GREEN thingy and DPF`s.......you put your cheap nasty dirty fuel in to burn instead of a Premium grade so then the DPF does a regen more often.....and regen`s burn a lot of fuel to get the temperature up to get rid of the crap and all that has been saved because you think you have a GREEN motor then is all let go at once......so much for Expensive Technology that you the consumer buys.

How is Gillingham by the way as that is where i come from....Lol
Gillingham is still the same awesome place lol

I'm slightly confused by your statement, as you say and as we both know the fuel is exactly the same as it comes from the same refinery. The additive or detergent is double strength for the bigger companies and single strength for supermarkets either way but meet stringent standards.
If you play close attention one leading fuel supplier which has changed the wording for its v power fuels to "may" help engines achieve more mpg and performance.

I have used both and there is no difference whatsoever, I agree that super unleaded worked better in my Clio sport but there is an obvious answer there which didn't involve paying v power and ultimate prices.
Next time you see a tanker filling up on a forecourt have a chat and see what you find out you will be surprised. They may say nothing in fear of getting the sack!!
I'll throw another point in to strengthen my case, a family member of mine has been a mechanic all his life 40 ish years, and he states he has never had to deal with engine issues as a result of buying supermarket fuels instead of expensive well marketed fuels (note these big companies have F1 cars and rally cars to run)

Next please lol

Last edited by Drgoodlove; Oct 25th, 2015 at 11:56.
Drgoodlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drgoodlove For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 25th, 2015, 12:02   #53
Drgoodlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc01 View Post
Not read the whole thread so unsure if this has been mentioned.
I leave my infotainment display on my car (my15 V40 D4 VEA) in the display it shows me if start stop is active, when I start the car from cold obviously it is not active once warm it becomes available, I keep an eye on this during my journey occasionally usually once every 2 tanks or roughly 800-1000 miles it will grey out and become unavailable this is how I assume my dpf is regenerating. During this time I ensure I do not stop the engine until it becomes available again.

Premium fuels, probably a waste of money, I notice in the manual it only states to use quality fuels without special additives. I have done many tests myself on fills and runs using both premium fuels and standard fuels and have noticed no difference in performance or economy. Yet I still put premium grade in, it costs me maybe £50-100 more a year to tank up with premium fuels, placebos make me feel better.
Marc,
I'm guilty the same as you but secretly we are lining the pockets of you know who! So I have stopped.
I checked my owners manual and it says similar too, "use quality fuel and no additives etc" difficult to achieve when it's already added and halfords sells numerous products saying they are safe for most models ???????
Drgoodlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2015, 12:12   #54
moorgate

I am in no doubt that filling up in Germany - petrol or diesel - makes a car run a whole lot better. I suspect most cars are tuned for european-refinery fuel, and UK refineries are the source of many problems.
moorgate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moorgate For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 14:41   #55
mhuttner1

Default 1.6d DrivE 2009 c30 dpf replacement tips

Default 1.6d DrivE 2009 c30 dpf replacement tips
Hi all,

I have a 72k miles c30 2009 1.6d drive. Car serviced regularly approx every 7k. As far as I am aware it is a wet dpf in this particular model (is this correct) which means dpf should be replaced after 75k miles. Approximately how much would this cost at a dealership. What is the most cost effective way of doing this?
Thanks in advance
mhuttner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 18:25   #56
mjs57

You'll see its a contentious issue this. I know you asked about dealership costs, but I'll tell you what I did non-dealer so you can compare any quotes you get.

I have a 2005 V50 2.0D. DPF never changed, should be at 75K as you say. My car was at 108K and regen failing, limp mode etc. Did manual regen with Vida, but same error messages came back a week later (soot full).

I bought a replacement DPF from cats2u.co.uk, cost me £115. Had an indy mechanic fit it and the car has been superb ever since (about 6 months now), no errors, pulls cleanly

Some people said it should be OEM only, but I opted for the above and it worked for me so far.

Good luck.
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 00:31   #57
Simmy
Premier Member

cars fitted with dpf systems need to be used for extended driveing they are not suitable for stop start driveing . school runs . local shops ect if a re gen is interupted by switching off it will not start a new one when restarted to do another short run. some people just buy the wrong car for the job then blame dpf system or cheap fuel . but petrol particulate filters are on some new cars iwonder if these will give similar problems in the future?
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 10:30   #58
Rocinante
Master Member

Last edited by Rocinante; Nov 24th, 2020 at 11:58.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 20:35   #59
Steg
Steg

Default Dpf

Volvo should tell you not to buy a desil engine unless you drive 50 miles per day because of the dpf problems false advertising in my opinion
Steg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2024, 19:05   #60
theboyfromnorwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs57 View Post
You'll see its a contentious issue this. I know you asked about dealership costs, but I'll tell you what I did non-dealer so you can compare any quotes you get.

I have a 2005 V50 2.0D. DPF never changed, should be at 75K as you say. My car was at 108K and regen failing, limp mode etc. Did manual regen with Vida, but same error messages came back a week later (soot full).

I bought a replacement DPF from cats2u.co.uk, cost me £115. Had an indy mechanic fit it and the car has been superb ever since (about 6 months now), no errors, pulls cleanly

Some people said it should be OEM only, but I opted for the above and it worked for me so far.

Good luck.
Hi mjs57, have you still got the V50 2.0D and if yes, how's the cats2u DPF holding up?
theboyfromnorwich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel particulate filter, dpf