Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 821729

Replies : 6257

Users Viewing This Thread : ITSv40

Old Jan 14th, 2021, 21:21   #221
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
The MoT info is interesting -the car is RED according to the Tax Status screen, and "BROWN" on the MoT Status screen.

It passed an Mot in August of 2019 and another in May of 2020 - odd.

Definitely one to watch (out for).
... so the only real evidence that the car has only covered 38,000 miles is the odometer reading - anything could have happened to it before August 2019.
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 23:56   #222
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... so the only real evidence that the car has only covered 38,000 miles is the odometer reading - anything could have happened to it before August 2019.
.............. including a "fixed" service history............

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 03:28   #223
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
.............. including a "fixed" service history............
Did that car come with a service history? I must have missed that bit, in which case I’m wrong and it does have some provenance.
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 06:14   #224
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Did that car come with a service history? I must have missed that bit, in which case I’m wrong and it does have some provenance.
I don't think it did Alan, i was just implying many unscrupulous dealers have "obtained" a service stamp with which to "rewrite" the service history of a car into a blank service book.

The giveaway on a car of this age would be the first few services as the STD codes changed at a certain point to gain the "1" as the 2nd digit. I know when it changed but if the service stamp includes the phone number it will be a dead giveaway the service history has been altered if the number doesn't change at a certain point.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 06:53   #225
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I don't think it did Alan, i was just implying many unscrupulous dealers have "obtained" a service stamp with which to "rewrite" the service history of a car into a blank service book.

The giveaway on a car of this age would be the first few services as the STD codes changed at a certain point to gain the "1" as the 2nd digit. I know when it changed but if the service stamp includes the phone number it will be a dead giveaway the service history has been altered if the number doesn't change at a certain point.
Ah, I see Dave. That had not occurred to me - that someone would try to replicate a 40 year old service history - I bit like 'the dog chewed my maths homework' :-)

Many thanks for that Dave.

Alan
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 07:25   #226
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Ah, I see Dave. That had not occurred to me - that someone would try to replicate a 40 year old service history - I bit like 'the dog chewed my maths homework' :-)

Many thanks for that Dave.

Alan
It's amazing the lengths they'll go to and people have forgotten that the 1 in STD codes wasn't always there...............

As for "the dog ate my homework" i had to use that once. Got the usual looks and then provided the (remains of the) evidence, complete with bite marks!

Couple of pages missing but the general idea was there.

Not sure if the teacher took pity on me or was so astounded that it was in fact genuine but still got a B+ for that essay!

Old Jan 19th, 2021, 21:31   #227
Othen
Premier Member

Default 244 Prices

I noticed this one, and thought it made quite good money:

http://https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333855610259

It looked like a nice car, hadn’t been used for a while but was running and riding with no rust. £3,250 was a good price but still sensible.

Last edited by Othen; Jan 19th, 2021 at 21:40.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 21:46   #228
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I noticed this one, and thought it made quite good money:

http://https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333855610259

It looked like a nice car, hadn’t been used for a while but was running and riding with no rust. £3,250 was a good price but still sensible.
That would be this one then Alan?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240...-/333855610259

Something wrong with your link, took me to a Bitcon page!

Nice looking car, seems fairly sound and probably worth all of that at the moment!

Old Jan 20th, 2021, 05:29   #229
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
That would be this one then Alan?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240...-/333855610259

Something wrong with your link, took me to a Bitcon page!

Nice looking car, seems fairly sound and probably worth all of that at the moment!
Well how strange is that Dave - I've just tried the link and it seems to work now, I can't explain the bitcoin page thing.

Yes, it looked like quite a nice car - some sort of barn find from a probate sale I should think. I suspect the seller picked it up for just hundreds of pounds from the estate's executor, did nothing to it and walked away with a bit of a profit (it looks like he is a dealer - see the PS). Still, it probably shows 244 sales being stable - we see lots of cars being advertised at silly money, but they never sell, and lots of rust buckets as well. This one looked like a fairly low risk car though (running and riding, no V5 - so probably no history) for fairly sensible money. The car won't be eligible for historic tax and MoT for another 4 years.

PS. The seller of that car seems to be a dealer:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-...sAAOSw-YVf~zZ5

... although perhaps not a car dealer primarily. Maybe he has just bought a job lot from a probate estate's executioner including the two cars?

Last edited by Othen; Jan 20th, 2021 at 06:14. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 11:42   #230
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Well how strange is that Dave - I've just tried the link and it seems to work now, I can't explain the bitcoin page thing.

Yes, it looked like quite a nice car - some sort of barn find from a probate sale I should think. I suspect the seller picked it up for just hundreds of pounds from the estate's executor, did nothing to it and walked away with a bit of a profit (it looks like he is a dealer - see the PS). Still, it probably shows 244 sales being stable - we see lots of cars being advertised at silly money, but they never sell, and lots of rust buckets as well. This one looked like a fairly low risk car though (running and riding, no V5 - so probably no history) for fairly sensible money. The car won't be eligible for historic tax and MoT for another 4 years.

PS. The seller of that car seems to be a dealer:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-...sAAOSw-YVf~zZ5

... although perhaps not a car dealer primarily. Maybe he has just bought a job lot from a probate estate's executioner including the two cars?
Very strange on the link Alan, i tried it 2 or 3 times to make sure i hadn't clicked the wrong thing. As you say, works fine now.

I noticed that Merc for sale as well, i believe that's the penultimate Holy Grail for Merc 190 fans with the 2.6 straight 6 engine, gives the 190E the engine it should have had at launch.
I understand the real Holy Grail is the Cosworth version, 4-pot with a Cosworth developed DOHC head, can't remember if it's a 2.3 or 2.5 but offers a big boost in performance over the standard 1.8 or 2.0 fitted to the lower spec 190E models.

Looking at his feedback he seems to have been dormant for the past 6 months so i'd be hesitant to label him a dealer, more of a dabbler that sees something every once in a while he thinks he can make money on, buys it and sells it on.