Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel Particulate Filter - Wish List

Views : 30707

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2010, 15:03   #31
shimon340

Hello

DPF issues affect all manufacturers and indeed they are there due to the increasingly stringent emissions regulations.

Different manufacuturers handle the DPF system and info given to the customer via the manual and the dashbaord differently. Having worked on these systems and reviewed a number, Volvo's setup is very good.

However, low speed town driving is not a good combination with a DPF. It will clog and will only partially regenerate in service hence why you get the "DPF full" message and the need to firstly drive in a certain way (certain vehicle parameters met) for the in service regeneration to begin and then continue doing so until the procedure ends. Failing to do that, the system will note the degree of filter saturation and the lack of successful in service regenerations and required a bespoke engine programme called a "forced regeneration" ie done by a dealer.

As a manufacturer, the product needs to be in the market to be used by a range of people. Not everyone is mechanically minded. Also, something I once heard was remember how daft the average person is and then recall that half the population are more daft!

The idea of the "% full" DPF display is a good one giving customers the oppotunity to manually start a regeneration themselves at whatever % they like. But again, how many engineering minded customers are there? NB remember the in service regeneration uses a post-combustion fuel dosing to increase fuel vapour in the exhaust to then burn off the particulates in the exhaust. Indeed, the "oven at 600deg" is something we used to do on prototype DPFs. Thats the temperature the carbon particulates oxidise/ignite. Self cleaning ovens work the same way. Ash will be left in the DPF from the fuel and oil additives but NB DPF vehicles have specific engine oil and fuel additives are moving away from inorganic content ie reducing the ash content.

In many ways the DPF design is immature technology and not as yet perfect for its application. But, this affects all manufacturers and was a solution to short timeframe given to meet new emissions targets.

S
shimon340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 15:25   #32
shimon340

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=87814
shimon340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 23:56   #33
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

Default Diesel particulate filter and rising oil levels discussion

There are a number of threads scattered around the various boards for the models affected and it has been suggested to keep the discussion here as the issue is particular to the engines and not the cars.

All the other discussions are indexed in that thread and can be linked to from there to read the previous discussions. If you know of any other discussions let me know and I will add them to the list.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 22:31   #34
chunderground
xc90 exec black+privacy

I have started using low soot diesel 6p per litre dearer but hoping it will avoid this problem. Shell V-Power diesel - BP Ultima diesel - Total Excellium diesel
Have not had soot filter full message just trying to avoid it
chunderground is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chunderground For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 22:31   #35
chunderground
xc90 exec black+privacy

I have started using low soot diesel 6p per litre dearer but hoping it will avoid this problem. Shell V-Power diesel - BP Ultima diesel - Total Excellium diesel
Have not had soot filter full message just trying to avoid it !
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 23:18   #36
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunderground View Post
Have not had soot filter full message just trying to avoid it !
I am now totally convinced that you have some commercial reason that drives you to recommend expensive fuel.

You tried to convince people that it was better as it had no bio-diesel in it and that it would prevent the excess sump oil - proved totally wrong - now you say it is low soot ...

total rubbish - again

ALL fuel in Britain is manufactured to very high, and very exacting standards and the standard fuel works perfectly in Volvo engines, I know that this is what I, and almost everyone else uses.

If you want to waste money, go for it, but please stop coming up with bogus reasons extolling imagined virtues to get others to use it.
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 10:55   #37
chunderground
xc90 exec black+privacy

nothing subversive or hidden agendas on my part just a new xc90 owner who loves his car and looking for solutions. Wikipedia entry on one of the low soot fuels below :-

V-Power Diesel

An Audi R10 TDI LMP race car, fueled on Shell V-Power Diesel
V-Power Diesel is Shell's version of an enhanced diesel fuel, similar, say to BPs 'Ultimate Diesel'. Like BP Ultimate Diesel, Shell V-Power Diesel is designed for modern compression-ignition diesel engines, to facilitate enhanced engine performance along with increased engine protection, for more consistent operation and engine longevity.[3]
V-Power Diesel is a blend of regular petroleum-based diesel and synthetic diesel, created using gas to liquids (GTL), along with some extra additives designed to clean the injection system and improve injection pump and injector lubricity.
One characteristic of V-Power diesel is that it is a lot clearer and odourless than normal diesel, mainly due to the synthetic GTL component.
The fuel is slightly less dense than regular diesel so, per volume, the unit energy is actually lower than regular diesel. This is offset, as the fuel tends to ignite more readily (and thus has a higher cetane rating) than regular diesel, and a side benefit of this is that it tends to produce less soot during combustion.

Please note the last line. If a cleaner burning fuel is used thats less soot to block the DPF, not rocket science is it ?
I agree that I have posted an incorrect post on bio fuel levels in diesel but I did correct this immediately I learnt of my mistake. I am on a learning curve with this problem like the rest of us. I am following this line of thinking because I really think it has a possible benefit to all us unfortunate DPF owners. All readers in the volvo community can make their own judgements.

Last edited by chunderground; Jul 10th, 2010 at 13:16.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 12:37   #38
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Low soot is delivered by using ULSD (Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel) fuel and almost all fuel in UK is refined to that standard - it has nothing to do with the-detergents that are added to the fuel after refining to create the v-power style of fuels.

Many companies call the ULSD fuel City Diesel and you don't need to pay a premium for it. I would also expect that Shell etc would advertise the virtues of Low soot on the V-Power if that were fact, strangely they don't mention it - the manufacturers sites are much more accurate and trustworthy than any wiki

As said before, I ALWAYS use standard diesel, have done for 15 years, and have never had an issue with any of my Volvos - all diesel, or any of the fleet cars that I used before then and we had to use the cheapest fuel.

You call, but 6p per litre is an awful lot extra to pay for fuel, especially when it is not required.

Last edited by wimorrison; Jul 10th, 2010 at 12:41.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 13:13   #39
chunderground
xc90 exec black+privacy

you may have used standard diesel for 15 years that is now irrelevant as we now have DPF diesels which are blocking up. Natural gas to liquid technology is far more than added detergents. google it and learn.

see link below which is one small example

http://www.world-gtl.com/

Last edited by chunderground; Jul 10th, 2010 at 13:28.
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 13:42   #40
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunderground View Post
you may have used standard diesel for 15 years that is now irrelevant as we now have DPF diesels which are blocking up. Natural gas to liquid technology is far more than added detergents. google it and learn.

see link below which is one small example

http://www.world-gtl.com/
One of the unfortunate aspects of the internet and google is that anyone can find facts to support any argument, given the time and the inclination.

Yes, fuel is being manufactured now as well as refined, (it has been for many years) but it has always had to meet the same standards in UK. Some - very few - DPFs are requiring forced regeneration, but this is not because of the fuel, it is because a diesel engine is being used when a petrol engine should be used.

DPFs will not block when the vehicle is used correctly and there is no need to use expensive fuel with added detergents, if it was required then the manufacturers would specify it, and they don't.

I am sure that you will google all this and that you will find some other 'fact' to justify your position, feel free to do so, feel; free to use expensive fuel when there is no need, but please post complete information and facts not just the part that you hope justifies your incorrect argument.

Perhaps it is you who should start learning!

Last edited by wimorrison; Jul 11th, 2010 at 13:44.

Tags
diesel particulate filter, dpf