Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vida Dice install problems

Views : 2176

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2016, 23:57   #1
dipstick36

Default Vida Dice install problems

Can anyone please help with some pointers on Vida install?
I did a clean install of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit running Internet Explorer 11. Vida loaded fine and Dice installed but no data was read and I couldn't get Dice to comunicate. I flattened Vida, removed IE11 and installed IE9 for Windows 7 (64). Re-installed Vida but now every time I try to open it IE9 shuts everything down and I have no idea why. I'm not particularly IT savvy so any heklp wouldbe appreciated. Thanks.
dipstick36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2016, 00:38   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Have you installed the patch?
If not, install it.

Otherwise.....
1. Uninstall Vida
2. Fully Windows Update your laptop
3. IE9 only
4. Reinstall Vida
5. Install the patch
Old Oct 21st, 2016, 01:21   #3
ozfiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
I'm just getting my laptop ready for VIDA (which is on its way). So the Win 7 Pro needs to be fully updated? Also are there any known issues with 64 bit version? I could easily install 32 bit if it was preferable.
ozfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2016, 08:25   #4
dipstick36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Have you installed the patch?
If not, install it.

Otherwise.....
1. Uninstall Vida
3. IE9 only
4. Reinstall Vida
5. Install the patch
Thanks for your reply. Yes, the patch is installed but I will check for updates and do as you have suggested and see what happens. Cheers.
Old Oct 21st, 2016, 08:34   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozfiddler View Post
I'm just getting my laptop ready for VIDA (which is on its way). So the Win 7 Pro needs to be fully updated? Also are there any known issues with 64 bit version? I could easily install 32 bit if it was preferable.
I install and run Vida on 64 bit laptops all the time without issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2016, 17:41   #6
happy diver
Active Member Moment

He does, I have one of cheshired5s laptops.

and with Dice connected to the cars, it works perfectly

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to happy diver For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2016, 20:08   #7
ericy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozfiddler View Post
Yes, but my own experiments show that IE11 simply doesn't work. I have IE8 - it works, as apparently does IE9. If you fully update Windows 7, it will probably upgrade the browser to IE11.

My own personal preference is to do all of this in a VM. I can disconnect the internet from the VM, so once I have it all working I don't need to worry about some windows update breaking the thing. And this way the host can be using IE11 or whatever other browser you might prefer.

For what it is worth, if you try and open up a browser yourself to get to the Vida login page, you must be running a 32-bit browser. The 64-bit browser simply doesn't work as the plugins required are all 32-bit.

If you look on the start menu, there should be a couple of diagnostic tools for DiCE that you can run. It won't tell you much about the car other than the battery voltage, but it will tell you if the drivers are installed properly and whether DiCE itself is communicating.
ericy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2016, 20:29   #8
dipstick36

Thanks Ericy that's very helpful. After several attempts and clean installs of everything from scratch I now seem to have it working, I think. I say that because Vida is loading fine and Dice is communicating to it but it's saying that it can't read data because either the ignition isn't turned on, the unit isn't connected or the vehicle's CEM/CDM is defective. In the fault tracing section all modules are lit orange/red and saying they are not accessible. I've seen the CEM problems mentioned on earlier XC90's and maybe that's the problem with mine. I'll connect VIDA/Dice to another post 1999 Volvo and see what happens - if it works and reads data then I guess the CEM is my problem??
Old Oct 24th, 2016, 21:37   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipstick36 View Post
it can't read data because either the ignition isn't turned on, the unit isn't connected or the vehicle's CEM/CDM is defective.
Whenever I see that, it means that the Dice is defective and you will not get it to work.
I've currently got 3 ready to be shipped back to China with the same fault.

If you have access to another car then obviously try it but don't be surprised if it says the same again.
Old Oct 25th, 2016, 06:45   #10
ozfiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericy View Post
Yes, but my own experiments show that IE11 simply doesn't work. I have IE8 - it works, as apparently does IE9. If you fully update Windows 7, it will probably upgrade the browser to IE11.
Yes, IE11 didn't work for me either. And if you fully update Win 7 it does do the upgrade to IE11. It's not that easy to roll back - IE11 isn't listed under Programs in Control Panel. You'll have to use Google to find out how to uninstall. But IE9 is working fine.