Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Harriet Harman

Views : 2207

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 8th, 2010, 12:25   #1
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Default Harriet Harman

Well well well, here we go again -

Harriet Harman pleaded guilty to careless driving today and got 3 points and a £350 fine for the parking incident last year - while she was on her mobile phone... this takes her points total to 9. ( http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6980682.ece )

Now call me a cynic, but why was the charge of using a mobile when driving (worth another 3 points) dropped despite there being no argument that she was on the phone at the time?

RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 12:31   #2
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Because if they didn't drop the charge she'd have scored 12 points and if you clock up the high score you win a ban by default. You can't ban a government minister. How would she manage to clock up all her expenses if she couldn't drive to the shops?
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 14:05   #3
andy_d
Premier Member

And you can bet the insurance hike for next year will come directly out of her expenses, so we pay to keep someone who should have been banned insured and on the roads.

"MP" > Vote your own payrise, keep driving at our expense , nice easy High paid job when you loose the next election,methinks us honest folks are all in the wrong jobs..
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 04:51   #4
magneto

Rolling Thunder, I believe that your new Mayor in Doncaster is a revelation. Is he?
magneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 10:36   #5
Danneh
Master Member

You'll probably see this on her travelling expenses for next year.
Danneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 11:18   #6
volvo145
Premier Member

I'll bet that most people on here have used a mobile phone stuck to there ear while driving and some are still doing it.
It does annoy me people saying you can't do this or that but continue to do it themselves and that includes people on forums.
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 14:21   #7
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo145 View Post
I'll bet that most people on here have used a mobile phone stuck to there ear while driving and some are still doing it.
It does annoy me people saying you can't do this or that but continue to do it themselves and that includes people on forums.
I have had a fully fitted Nokia bluetooth kit since long before the ban on phone use while driving.

They are only around £60 for many different makes from Amazon, I can't see why anyone would risk it.

There again if there was more enforcement then people would be more inclined to fit one.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 14:27   #8
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Quote:
Not me. If the wife is with me she gets put in charge of my phone. If I'm on my own my phone is ignored until I pull over somewhere sensible.

Motoring groups are saying that it can be worse than drink driving. I can well believe it, I've seen some shocking displays put on by drivers while they use their phones, and sometimes when they mount the kerb and all the pedestrians run out of the way, they drive out seemingly oblivious to their error.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 15:18   #9
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

If Harman had commited two suspected offences, as in 'careless' & driving whilst using mobile phone. Plod cannot 'do' her for both. The mobile phone part will form part of the evidence of carelessness. If there was no evidence of carelessness then she could have been dealt with for the mobile phone offence.

If they charged/reported for both it would be seen as, 'if she is found not guilty of one, it's okay cos we'll get her for the other'. Plod ain't allowed to do that.

Plod will charge/report for summons for the offence that is most fitting to the circumstances. Then they send the file off to CPS. CPS will continue (or not) if they see it fit to do so. Very often CPS will alter the charge in any case.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 19:09   #10
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Quote:
Nope, not me - never.

Its a pet hate and I hurl abuse at any driver I see on the phone when I'm walking down the street. There is no need for it, its selfish, stupid and if it was down to be it'd be an automatic 12m ban and a crushed car. I worked on the ambulances for a while and I've dealt with the results of car-pedestrian and car-car RTA caused by drivers on the phone. Its a totally avoidable 'accident', and as I said - totally selfish. No excuses.

Here endeth the sermon by 'hang em high' RT
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post: