Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Climate console not working

Views : 2013

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2020, 17:58   #11
Oak

Good news!

I think some electrical contact cleaner might help too - just in case some corrosion has crept in on pins not yet playing up!

All the best
Old Dec 21st, 2020, 09:08   #12
Matty71

Default Back to square one

After leaving it for a day went out yesterday and low and behold nothing works on the climate panel again. Totally p*ssed off and have brought a XC90 so at least I can go on holiday. Not spending and grand and if anyone wants to buy a V70 with 122k on the clock. Full service history and cam belt and water pump done at 112k. Worth nearly 4K on a forecourt and looking for 2.5k. Great car other than the CEM not working and a bargain if you know what your doing! Message me if interested for more info and pics
Matty71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2020, 11:51   #13
Matty71

Default Another update

Spent the whole of yesterday stripping out the carpet, passenger seat etc. Can honestly say I’ve never seen so much water in a car! The soundproofing did an excellent job of soaking up the water! Got about 6 litres out of the car and that again from the carpets! Now to try and dry everything! Got a heater in the car and waiting for a dehumidifier to arrive! On a positive note got in the car this morning and it’s bone dry after a night and morning of rain! The windscreen must have been leaking for a hell of a long time. Hopefully once it’s completely dry everything will work properly. I’ll let you all know
Old Dec 28th, 2020, 13:03   #14
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Thi may be of interest to everyone.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 86000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2020, 18:13   #15
Tatsfield
Premier Member

The video presupposes that the lack of sealant will be on the side edges of the screen but I understand that the lack of sealant can also be along the top edge of the screen. I'm a bit doubtful of slapping sealant on the outside edge and hoping that it stops water ingress. The screen is supposed to be mechanically bonded to the flange by the sealant and this improves the rigidity of the frame around the huge hole that the windscreen occupies. Unlike rubber gasket fitted screens of the old days, the modern screen is supposed to be an integrated part of the vehicle chassis strength. I'd not recommend smearing sealant along the edge. I'd get a competent windscreen fitter to refit the screen correctly.

I must say that although my P3 has yet to show any signs of water ingress around the screen, I'm shocked by the fault which is a major safety issue and not just a water leak. In the event of a crash the screen might well detach and enter the cabin. All the impact tests carried out to gain the safety rating will have been done with cars that have their windscreen properly attached to the body! I doesn't surprise me that firstly Volvo didn't want to make a public fuss about this problem and that secondly they seem to pay to fix it whatever the age of the car. This is not just a leak but a major QC failure and it needs a full fix not a daubing of sealant. Having said all this, the XV70 that I drive is still an immensely safe car in which to be in the event of a serious road accident!
Old Dec 28th, 2020, 20:04   #16
FreshAir

I would agree with that. Windscreen is part of car structure these days. Best to get it removed and installed correctly, you will only end up chasing the leaks otherwise.

It was useful to see the rust on the fillet fittings. When the weather is dry, I think it will be worth removing them to derust, apply high zinc pain, then reinstall fillets with grease to help keep rust away. I'd also give the channels a good clean and wax.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 18:17   #17
Matty71

Default Update

Car is completely dry and put back together and going into Volvo next Monday. Having to bite the bullet and get it fixed, need to get something back for it! Having a new MOT while it’s in there and going to get them to make sure all the drainage channels are unblocked and free of any debris! Fingers crossed it’s the CEM and nothing else has been damaged.
Old Jan 5th, 2021, 16:05   #18
Matty71

Default Final update

New CEM
Carpets dried and refitted
New MOT 29/01/2022
£1094 bill and receipt
Now completely dry and watertight
For Sale £3800
Never ever again 😡
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 10:55   #19
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I appreciate your disappointment with your car but in fairness, the windscreen seal was a well known problem and your CEM fault was a direct result of the leak. Now that it's fixed, and I really sympathise with the cost of doing this, are you selling the car because you fear future similar problems or is it that you have lost confidence in Volvo as a manufacturer? You should not have had to pay for the windscreen work. Many other owners who had this fault had Volvo fix it for free.

I have been lucky and have not suffered the windscreen sealant fault. I have also not suffered any extreme faults and the car has been reliable and a joy to drive. So having spent the £1K to put it into a fault free state, is the bottom line £2800 that you hope to get for it going to help you buy anything better, or would you be better off keeping your car and benefiting from the expenditure that you have had to incur?

In 4 years I've had my XC70, the only failure I have had was the siren unit for the alarm and I probably could have fixed that for the cost of the failed batteries but I let the dealer change the whole unit instead. So my perspective is that Volvo produce a reliable car and yours should now conform to that having fixed a known manufacturing fault.
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 13:37   #20
Matty71

I purchased an XC90 before Christmas because I needed a car for the dogs and to go on holiday in. Unfortunately the holiday was cancelled because of COVID and I must admit I was going to sell it on and keep the V70 once all the work was done. I actually like the XC90 more and I’m keeping that instead. Would like to recoup some of the money spent on the V70 bearing in mind I paid £4K for her 10 months ago. Might seem a little high priced but I think it reflects the cars condition and money spent etc. Seen some real heaps and mega mileage ones for sale and in average condition, hopefully I’ll get what I’m asking or very near to it. I was probably just unlucky but it did leave a bit of a bitter taste, but I’m sticking with Volvo for the time being and the XC90 fits the bill nicely
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty71 For This Useful Post: