Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Reviving a barn find P1800ES

Views : 7147

Replies : 66

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2020, 23:24   #31
volvo always
Premier Member

seriously nice already! Look forward to updates. Hope to see it at a VOC car show sometime.

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2020, 23:26   #32
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1800 ES View Post
We first went over the bumpers with wd40 and wire wool which removed a lot of the pitting, but there is some permanent damage which we'll live with for now.

The interior just got a wipe down for now and then the exterior got a good wash. This was by far the most satisfying car wash I have ever done with each swipe of the sponge washing away the decades of grime that had collected.

There wasn't time to do anything else at this stage and we're going to focus on getting it running before we detail the car properly.

Here it is after cleaning:

Wow! Fabulous!
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2020, 20:16   #33
sleek lemur

What an amazing find! Why was it stored away in the first place ? If you knew that, it would direct you to what you need to repair, is what I'm thinking.
sleek lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 18:16   #34
P1800 ES

Time for an update as we managed to make some good progress recently. This is a quite a long post as we’ve done quite a bit. Sorry the pics aren’t so good, I didn’t get as many as I hoped along the way.

First thing we did was pull out the old fuel tank, pump and filter and replace with all new items. We got hold of a genuine new Volvo fuel tank and treated the underside to a coat of stone chip for extra protection. We swapped over all the brass fittings and it dropped straight into the car.

We also fitted a new fuel sender unit, Bosch fuel pump and new fuel filter and replaced all the rubber hoses right up to the hard lines. We also cleared the hard lines out with a blast of air from the engine bay.

With everything at the back renewed we moved to the engine bay. First thing to do was pull the injectors and fuel rail. All the o-rings were brittle and the ones that seal the injector mounts to the head were completely disintegrated. I suspect that with these being being in the state they were, this was the cause of the rough running the previous owner spoke of from years ago.

Upon testing we discovered the injectors were locked solid. Replacements aren’t cheap so we decided to soak them for a week in a bath of carb cleaner, but that didn’t fix them.

We could have sent them away for a refirb, but instead we decided to treat it to new ones. Replacements are £400+ a set, but after doing a lot of research we found Summit Racing in America sell Beck Arnley injectors that are a direct replacement for £220 shipped including duty charges.

Another fault we found was the cold start injector in the inlet manifold. This was also dead and a replacement would have been very costly, but after some research we discovered the Jaguar XJS V12 from the same era uses two identical injectors and we sourced a good used pair on ebay for £35.

We also renewed all the rubber fuel hoses up front and then powered up the fuel pump. We had no leaks and a steady and correct 32psi which meant the regulator was fine.

With the fuel system sorted we changed the oil, oil filter and air filter and popped off the valve cover to oil up the cam and valves. We then turned the engine by hand and It moved freely with now untoward sounds. It was now time to remove the fan belt, connect a new battery and give it a first crank to build oil pressure!

However, the starter motor was dead. I had a whole drama messign about with that, so a replacement was soon sourced and fitted and we able to crank it over. The oil pressure gauge shot up to and beyond 70psi and the oil light went out.

We also did a compression test and the results were not looking good. We had readings all over the place and well out of spec. Whilst this caused some concern, we decided to carry on and go for a start. After all, the car has been sitting for a long time and the valves were likely to be rusted, so I was hopeful that if we could get it started they would lap themselves back again.

We fitted a new coil, points, condenser, plugs, leads, rotor arm and distributor cap. The water pump and alternator span freely so we also fitted a new fan belt, flushed the coolant and fitted new radiator hoses.

After a bit of fault tracing because of no spark, we put the key in and cranked the engine. At first it coughed and spluttered but it eventually fired up!

At first it would barely idle, there was a bit of smoke and it was very lumpy. However, it very quickly smoothed out and began to idle well. We let it run with the radiator cap off to burp the system and the longer it ran the healthier it sounded.

After about 5 minutes it was running very well and idling at a steady 850rpm. It revved freely, sounded healthy and idled nicely. We also managed to run it up and down the drive a few times getting through the gears and you could feel everything coming to life. The clutch works, the brakes just about worked (although they’ll be getting a complete overhaul) and now there was no smoke out the exhaust.

We had it running for nearly an hour to get the temp up and after this amount of time it was running like a charm. By this point it was getting dark and we had to pack up, but we were delighted.

I’m now really keen to see what the compression is reading now it’s been run in and I’m confident it’ll be improved. The compression must have evened out and increased as it was running so well.

Next things we need to sort are an oil line that feeds the gauge as this is weeping, the diff cover seal desperately needs doing, we have a new water pump and thermostat to go in and of course a complete brake overhaul. I also want to fit new shock absorbers and flush the coolant a couple more times.

I also purchased a set of original wheels which have been reconditioned with nearly tyres fitted. Saves us messing about with the old ones and we’ll bolt those one when we do the brakes and shocks.

We now have a running a driving car!!
P1800 ES is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to P1800 ES For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 20:03   #35
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

P (...a name would be nice!)

Congrats on the successful reawakening of this ES!

Thanks also for the detailed points in the report...there's nothing in there which surprised me too much, and you proceeded much as I would have in a similar situation...compliments on your methodical method...!

The new Fuel Tank was a major contributor to your success I expect...ES Tanks are known for internal rust which plays havoc with everything downstream (I have less than pleasant first-hand experience with this!). I see you also replaced the Fuel Pump, but I don't believe I saw details on it...please give some details on this.

Seized Injectors are nothing new either...soaking and powering them up (correctly!!, and NEVER with 12V directly, will often bring them back, so save your old ones as spares. See also: https://www.sw-em.com/bosch_d-jetron...tor_Test_Notes )

Regarding the Fuel Tank...what is your intent with this Tank...have you inspected inside and found rust and was this your reason for replacing? ...if you intend to recycle it, I request you cut it open over the pipes to FuPu and also Return from FPReg, and also Sump, and fwd me some well lit pix of these areas for inclusion in a future SW-EM tech article. This is important info which would be a shame to loose! [Observe safe anti-fire handling precautions, if you are going to do this!] .

Cheers from Connecticut
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 21:10   #36
P1800 ES

Thanks Ron. One of the first things we did was put a borescope into the fuel tank and it was not looking nice at all. We could also see jellied fuel and lots of general nastiness. Instead of messing about we felt it best to just replace. I did this with the fuel pump also. Instead of even testing it we just replaced it and good job too as it was lifeless on the bench. The fuel pump was provided by Brookhouse and I don’t have the part number to hand. It’s a decent item and direct replacement.

As for the tank... I put it on eBay with an honest description and it sold to a happy customer for £60. Goes some way to recoup the expenses and saved me having to dispose of it.

We tested the old injectors with 3volts and even put 5volts across them whilst pressurising with marvel mystery oil in an aerosol. For the sake of progression we replaced them. I’ll keep hold of them for now and might have another go at reviving them.

The cold start valve operates off a 12volt feed and we tested the new valve this way again with pressurised mystery oil
The Following User Says Thank You to P1800 ES For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 23:40   #37
142 Guy
Master Member

A running engine is nice progress. With luck the compression will have improved. With one cylinder showing around 2 Bar in the first test you would think you would notice that during the initial run in.

The Beck Arnley injectors are an exact replacement for the Bosch 035 injectors. I have been using them since 2015 without issue. I sourced mine from Rock Auto for about $180 Cdn. However, I expect that particular ship has set sail in terms of price.

The 1970 and 1971 D jet systems on the B20E had a recommended fuel pressure of 28 psi. The 1972 and later systems with the B20F engine had the fuel pressure bumped to 30 psi (at least for North American spec B20F engines). Is your car a B20E or a B20F as I know that the B20E was available on your side of the Atlantic in 1972? More to the point, if your fuel pressure gauge is accurate 32 psi is a little on the high side. Its not a critical issue; but, something to consider adjusting as you get to refining things.

The other thing to check on the engine is to make sure that the phenolic insulating washers are installed on the injector holders. These provide a thermal break from the head and reduce injector heat soak when the car is parked. You should have seen these washers when you replaced the O ring between the injector holder and the head. The B20E and B20F can suffer from hot restart problems in hot weather (I know for sure that it occasionally does get hot in Great Britain). Starting is very difficult and the engine runs very poorly until fuel flow through the injector eventually cools it off. I think Volvo might have started installing these washers at some point during the 1972 production year; but, I am not sure. I know that my 1971 B20E definitely did not have them and had not been retrofitted with them.

I still can't believe that this car is a barn find!
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2020, 11:47   #38
P1800 ES

When I'm next at the car I'll do a compression test again and report back. I have a B20E engine, so am I correct in thinking compression should be around 150psi?

Rockauto have the injectors up at the same price as Summit, but Summit shipped them to me in just a few days. Fantastic service from them and half the price of what UK sellers are asking.

I'm not sure what you mean by phelonic washers, but I used this kit which appeared to have everything I needed. Am I missing something?

Old Dec 1st, 2020, 14:33   #39
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

P;

Good info from 142G as always...note there was an early and a late arrangement. See also: https://www.v1800.org/index.php/de/b...nd-einbau.html ...even though it German, you should get the important bit...

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2020, 15:57   #40
P1800 ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
P;

Good info from 142G as always...note there was an early and a late arrangement. See also: https://www.v1800.org/index.php/de/b...nd-einbau.html ...even though it German, you should get the important bit...

Cheers
I see, thank you for this nugget of wisdom guys! It would seem that my car never had these and the kit I purchased doesn't either.

I would need the later larger o-rings also. I can see that Skandix sell these and the washers, so I'll get these parts ordered and installed in good time too.