Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 d24t vibration damper removal

Views : 1016

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 00:05   #1
John Davies
VOC Member

Default 740 d24t vibration damper removal

Hi
I am about to replace the belts on my D24t, and reshim the tappets.

I have the necessary clock gauge, tappet depression tool (got from Germany for a bargain price) etc. but am stuck for a tool to hold the bottom pulley - 5187 in the Volvo manual.

Given the massive torque on the main bolt I do not fancy doing something clever with fan belts. It is an automatic so I can't remove the bolt with the car in gear (a horrible idea anyway!), and I do not fancy dropping the sump to put a block of wood against the crank. Anyone got such a tool, know where I can get one or got the dimensions of one so I can make something up? I cannot be the only person to have met this problem!

Is there a method of removal I haven't thought of?

Thanks

John D
John   Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 01:21   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

If you join the club (unless you are already a member) you will find that there is a very helpful chap who has a lot of the special tools for loan to club members. You will also need the wrench (number 5188) to do the job properly and may need to remove the coolant radiator to give sufficient clearance. The crankshaft nose bolt has a torque figure of 255lbsft on it so removal is rather difficult without the two special tools. I am about to do the same with my 945 with D24TIC with the assistance of the two tools. You will also need the pump locking pin from the Sykes-Pickavant diesel setting tool set which also has the shims for setting the camshaft rear end. Do you have the D24 Green book?

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 00:32   #3
RichardB

To remove the bottom pulley bolt is easy. My friend who is a mechanic uses this method all the time.

Get a socket on the pulley bold and stick a breaker bar on it, stick the breaker bar under the drivers side chassis rail now flick the ignition key so the starter turns just for a fraction of a second. Now remove the bar and socket and undo the bolt by hand.

this works by allowing the starter motor to undo the bolt for you, the bar under the rail stops the crank pully bold from turning.

Cheers,

Richard
RichardB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 01:16   #4
John Davies
VOC Member

Thanks both

Have all the tools I need - I think. Have the green book also. I will try the 'inertia method' - I see no reason why it shouldn't work!

Failing this, Peter, after you with the correct tools!

Regards

John Davies
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 01:34   #5
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Richard B I assume your friend is talking about the petrol engined versions as the torque is only of the order of 75lbsft., some 180 lbsft less than the diesel engines figure. This is within the starter motors capabilities but would seriously strain the starter motor on a diesel despite it's 2.5kW power figure compared to the 1.5 kW petrol starter motor. At least you are trying to be helpful and no-one will knock you for that.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:05   #6
RichardB

I was unsure how much torque the starter motors output. I was just passing the advice given to me from a friend of mine who is a mechanic. This was originally intended for my Nissan 200SX but also had to use it on my 740 as I couldnt get that one undone either, they are very tight! I am assuming it cant stress the motors too much as I only had to flick the key for a fraction of a second and then it was loose enough to undo with fingers! It shouldnt be an issue for me now anyway, I bought a compressor and an air rachet

Cheers,

Richard
RichardB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 00:17   #7
John Davies
VOC Member

Well, I can tell you what happens when you put a socket on the centre nut and spin the starter on a D24T engine.

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

The starter sighs, says 'What on earth do you expect of me?' clicks, and all the lights go out.

So I went onto plan B, which was to build my own removal tool, which worked a treat, though it took a couple of hours to make. I will be writing this up for Jack Cluer in due course.

Thanks Peter and Richard for your comments.

John D
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 11:11   #8
mycoleptodiscus

Default Tools

FYI, the woodruff key on that pulley is NOT designed to take a load. The pulley is held in place purely by the huge amount of torque applied when tightening the crank shaft pulley bolt. If you don't tighten that bolt properly, you could lose your motor as this is an interference engine. The valves can smash into th epistons... The tool you refer to is still available from Baum tool (see my BLOG) Before I was aware of this, I used a HUGE chain wrench to hold the pulley still. It worked.
http://volvoturbodiesel.blogspot.com/
mycoleptodiscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 01:53   #9
John Davies
VOC Member

You are a cheerful chap aren't you? Seriously, thanks for the info. I will have to find out how much the Baum tool is, though in fact my own works very well (and cost nothing)
!

Regards

John Davies
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 22:02   #10
J..M

I had the bottom pulley off a 740 B200 about 3 hours ago .........

I put it in 5th Yanked on the handbrake, & used a 3' bar to undo it, after the bolt was out the wheel came off with a lil hand jiggling