Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel Pump and Filter Replacement

Views : 513

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 6th, 2018, 22:53   #1
Forrest
VOC Member

Default Fuel Pump and Filter Replacement

I thought I’d share this as I found it hard to find useful information about doing this swap on a 940.

My problem was the fuel pump had become very noisy on my 1994 Wentworth estate. The car was also stalling when braking to a standstill driving uphill. However, it was fine cornering so I did not suspect the in-tank lift pump.

My original intention was just to change the fuel filter. I don’t know if/when it was last changed. The car is on 260k miles. However, the whole under-car setup was looking rather tired so I decided to renew the pump as well; especially since I succeeded in breaking the small plastic link tube between the pump and the filter trying to undo the corroded connectors. Also, the car was needing quite a lot of cranking to start it, so the check valve on the pump was potentially suspect too.

A key piece of information from the FAQ is that after 1995 940s had a single high pressure in-tank pump. However, before this the in-tank pump was designed just to lift fuel out of the tank and a separate high-pressure pump is installed alongside the fuel filter in a cradle under the car approximately under the front passenger seat in RHD cars.

The original link tube on mine seemed to be almost unique and no longer available. It had two identical pipe unions rather that a banjo fitting at the filter end. However, the following parts were all available from Skandix and work as a replacement.

Fuel pipe 1027452 / 1312297
Hollow screw 14mm 1021770 / 968179
Hollow screw 12mm 1021771 / 973950
Seal ring 14.3mm/1.5mm 1021773 / 947621

Unfortunately, the Skandix 12mm copper sealing rings (1027585 / 11994) I ordered were only 0.8mm thick. These are on the high pressure side of the pump and leaked. Fortunately, I had some suitable 12mm/1.5mm copper washers previously ordered from eBay so used these instead.

In the new setup the fuel pump is positioned slightly further towards the rear of the car than in the original but this looks identical to an original 740 setup I found on a YouTube video and actually results it the pump bracket aligning with the ridge in the casing, presumably as originally intended.

My replacement fuel pump is a Bosch 0 580 464 068 found on eBay for £51.80. This had exactly the right power connectors. The filter I used is a Mahle KL30, again from eBay for £12.06.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 23:05   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

You were lucky to find another pump with the intact link pipe - they are still available from other sources and i think the best price i found wa £49.80 from a Ford dealer - Merc, Audi, BMW and similar all wanted an arm and a leg!

In the end, i cut the nylon tubing off the hose barbs and fitted a loop of 6mm bore rubber petrol hose.

Worth knowing that Saab uses the same filter but uses Dowty washers instead of copper washers on the banjo fittings, i think Ford, BMW, Merc and VAG cars use the same filter too, most of them use the same pump too.

Glad you got sorted anyway!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: