Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 611401

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2016, 14:54   #941
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post

As I was typing this I received a call from Volvo assist advising that the hire car now needs to be collected by 11am tomorrow morning so I need to resolve with my dealer whether they will extend that or arrange a courtesy car with me whilst we wait for Volvo to give the okay.
Get in touch with Volvo Assist as in the majority of cases they will extend the three day hire period on your behalf.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 19:03   #942
Harvey1512
Premier Member

They have extended to Monday but I have been told it must be collected by 11 on Monday morning. I spoke to the dealer, who still has not had the okay to carry out the fix, advised them the car was going to be collected and asked what happens next. Cue long silence. I will speak to them first thing tomorrow to see if they have sorted something for me. I will escalate if needs be. This is a problem between Volvo and the dealer, they need to resolve it between them and someone needs to get a car to me tomorrow. I'm sure if this was a Lexus or Mercedes dealer it would be resolved without me having to lead on this but unfortunately the dealer covering the north east is not good and this is proving it.

The Citroen is a decent car but the difference is huge. Could I live with it? Yes, but it is clear the gap is vast. Fittings feel cheap, touchscreen needs harder touches, plastics are harsh, areas such as compartments are basic. I know, hardship eh. However, yes you can feel and see where Citroen have saved money. Strangely enough the speakers are noticeably superior to the ones in my Volvo though. I have had Citroens before and this is what they are like. A better comparison would be against Mazda or Skoda for example, not Citroen. Incidentally I would still advise anyone with young children to get one of these. A great car for a young family and the needs they have.
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 20:25   #943
craigv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
They have extended to Monday but I have been told it must be collected by 11 on Monday morning. I spoke to the dealer, who still has not had the okay to carry out the fix, advised them the car was going to be collected and asked what happens next. Cue long silence. I will speak to them first thing tomorrow to see if they have sorted something for me. I will escalate if needs be. This is a problem between Volvo and the dealer, they need to resolve it between them and someone needs to get a car to me tomorrow.
Agree 100%. All the parties you are dealing with are suppliers / contractors to Volvo UK - they need to sort it out between them and ensure you have a car that you can drive, without any extra hassle on your part.

Whether that means extending your current loan car, getting you a different one, or whatever, it is THEIR problem, not yours. Hope you get it sorted.

Volvo wants to be perceived as a premium brand, and it's these sorts of circumstances that prove whether they really can hack it. After all, they were quick enough to take our money in exchange for a car with a fairly serious design flaw. And the flaw cannot be blamed on subcontractors or component manufacturers - the fact that it has taken two years of upgrades and revisions to parts, and we're STILL not certain of a definitive fix, shows that the EGR design was inadequate in the first place.
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craigv60 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 21:16   #944
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Many years ago when I was driving BMWs (apologies for swearing here) I left my car keys on the table in Moscow and realised when I got to Domodedovo Airport. I called BMW to see what they could suggest and they sent a courier bike to my home to collect the spare keys and when I walked through into arrivals at Heathrow there was a courier with my name on a board and the keys in his hand.

That is what I call premium service, all done with no charge to the customer, and organised by them after one simple phone call - Volvo should be doing the same.

BTW I left BMW after 3 engines failed one after the other and they started to blame the driver for the failures rather than accept that their dealer was screwing them and me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 06:31   #945
Marc01

Harvey I had the same problem with the hire car I had, after a Volvo assist technician overfilled my car with oil and me breaking down over 100miles from my home, the local dealer who took care of my car was very good and made the necessary arrangements with enterprise, but it was still stressful when they called every other day telling me the car was going off hire and I would have to pay for an extension..
I refused to let the dealer drive my car back to me, in the end Volvo assist paid to have it low loaded back to my house, I even insisted the driver wait until I came home before he unloaded it because if I was not happy I was sending it back.

Personally I do not like the Volvo assist-enterprise-dealer arrangement. Even though enterprise hounded me everytime the rental extension came to an end once I got my car back the rental car (a Vauxhall Insignia) stayed on my drive for a week!!

What's also frustrated me with the egr issue for which my car has been in 3 times for a fix is everytime I hassle Volvo UK they tell me it's not there problem and that it my dealers problem, which is funny as last time I looked outside it said "Volvo" on my car and not Paul Rigby Motors. How can my supplying dealer be responsible for a seemingly common fault?

I have also been unsatisfied by all the dodgy generic responses which shift the blame of the fault onto me, something that has become harder for them over time, thanks to this thread.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marc01 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 09:20   #946
Harvey1512
Premier Member

False alarm on the EGR solution front. My dealer rang me first thing this morning telling me the car had been fixed. "Ah, so that is the end of the EGR problem", "errmmmmm no". Volvo have still not released the fix, it is about another month away. The service guy at the dealers was not happy, understandably as his mechanics are busy constantly putting sticking plasters on this problem.

So, my car has the temporary fix again. "See you in another 12,000 miles". He did not know if the fix will be implemented during servicing or just when the engine light comes on.

Enterprise are picking up my hire car this morning. After a number of prolonged silences, never underestimate the power of saying nothing either on the phone or in person, I believe the dealer will be driving my car up to me with another car following to take the driver back. Still to be confirmed but that was my strongly but calmly made suggestion, followed by a very long pause again. It is a shame I have had to push this, it should be volunteered. The anecdote from WM is exactly how premium dealers should act, that is what builds up loyalty.

Marc01 - I agree with you regarding Volvo Assist / Enterprise. The system works well as long as your car gets fixed within 3 days. After that and it becomes a little more stressful as who pays for each day after that is hard fought.
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 10:30   #947
NigelDay
Premier Member

The other interesting question is, when 'the fix' is finally rolled-out, will this be fitted only to cars which have a problem history ? A pertinent question because there will be (a large number of) cars with no EGR history which may subsequently develop an EGR problem after the end of the warranty. What then ? The VEA engine was rolled-out in late 2013 (MY14.5) so this does need to be addressed, as and when the official Volvo fix is released. I have a Volvo warranty to 5 years, but Warranty Direct (and others) will be not too pleased if dealers try to charge for a 'known issue' fix under their cover period. The only way to address this up front is for Volvo to issue a formal recall for all affected vehicles when the fix is signed-off. However, as it is not strictly a safety issue, I sense they won't want (be obliged) to do this. Whilst the maxim 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' could apply, I don't believe it is fair in the case of EGR problems.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 10:37   #948
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Nigel - If it was my firm then I would do the fix as part of a service, if it was not required earlier following a warning light. To wait until something goes wrong is reactive and being pro-active is always the best way to look after customers. The scenario you give is a very good one and why they should resolve this across the board over time.
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 10:47   #949
Turnwood

I have just booked my Jan 2015 built D4 VEA V60 in for its 36k service next month. I seem to have been fortunate that I have not had any sign of EGR issues yet, but given how widespread this problem seems to be I will be seeking assurance from the dealer and Volvo UK that they will rectify any issues that might develop outside the warranty period. 60k comes around quickly given the number of miles I do - I intend on running this car to around 150k miles.

Turnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turnwood For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 11:27   #950
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc01 View Post
What's also frustrated me with the egr issue for which my car has been in 3 times for a fix is everytime I hassle Volvo UK they tell me it's not there problem and that it my dealers problem, which is funny as last time I looked outside it said "Volvo" on my car and not Paul Rigby Motors. How can my supplying dealer be responsible for a seemingly common fault?

I have also been unsatisfied by all the dodgy generic responses which shift the blame of the fault onto me, something that has become harder for them over time, thanks to this thread.
Volvo UK are correct, in a way, but there is a degree of joint responsibility here. As the manufacturer with an acknowledged fault Volvo are responsible for providing a solution but it is the dealer's responsibility to implement the solution.

Sadly, "dodgy generic responses" seem fairly common, with some customer-facing service personnel not being great, but dealers do vary - my dealer has been upfront, specific and accurate about the problem.
techwatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to techwatcher For This Useful Post: