Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Adding Twin Sockets vs 13 PIN

Views : 1837

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2017, 09:16   #11
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Are you sure?... there'll only be about £4-5 in it. And whilst you're there you may as well redo the lot, and have done. If you already had a 12N & S swapping to 13 is an easy job. This because the work won't be in the socket(s), whichever you fit, but in tapping into the loom and running the cabling and the relay etc.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Feb 24th, 2017 at 09:20.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2017, 11:08   #12
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodasv70 View Post
Thanks Guys. The XC is 06 so I dont think the cable will fit. So adding a 12s will be the easiest and cheapest method.

Looking at the relay, presume the switched outputs (2&6) are the ones that are voltage controlled.
yes 2 & 6 are switched outputs, 4 being un-switched

2 is used for caravan battery charging
6 is used for fridge
4 I think is used on some vans for brake abs or what ever fancy name they give it.

by using one of these smart relays the is no need to tap in to any wiring loom, as you only need a connection to battery + and earth.

shame your so far away or I would help you do it, I have done several, including using one in a minibus that had a wheel chair lift and a second battery to power it.
XC70Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2017, 11:22   #13
doodasv70

Thanks for the offer XC70Bob. I have just plugged in a tailboard to test the existing socket.

Indicators work fine. Brake lights come on with the red running & number plate lights (can't remember there proper name). They don't come on when the lights are on.

All the wiring and the existing relay are handily tucked within easy reach.

I think the next thing to check is the relay and socket outputs...
doodasv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2017, 12:41   #14
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodasv70 View Post
Thanks for the offer XC70Bob. I have just plugged in a tailboard to test the existing socket.

Indicators work fine. Brake lights come on with the red running & number plate lights (can't remember there proper name). They don't come on when the lights are on.

All the wiring and the existing relay are handily tucked within easy reach.

I think the next thing to check is the relay and socket outputs...
when you get 2 sets of lights coming on together like that it normally points to a bad earth, might not be on the car but on the lighting board its self.
Old Feb 25th, 2017, 15:39   #15
doodasv70

Just went to check on the caravan - its the same so first will clean and rewire the socket as rust and furred - which kinds come to the first question - if the socket needs replacing which way to go...
Old Mar 4th, 2017, 12:23   #16
doodasv70

Have just got the multi meter out. It's the relay. Tail light feed going in is fine. There is nothing coming out.

The current relay is a Ryder Smart 7 Bypass. Any suggestions on a replacement.

Thanks.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 08:57   #17
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

if you need to replace the relay you may as well go for the factory Volvo kit it will do everything and is a simple plug and play install, and you can specify what sockets you want 12n&12s or 13 pin.
I know some people say you need a software download but as far as I am aware it only switches off the fog lights automatically on the car when the caravan is attached, as my car has an after-market version of the Volvo kit there was never an option to do the software install and it works just fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to XC70Bob For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 14:15   #18
green van man
Premier Member

I find the 13 pin far easier to connect and it future proofs your car as newer caravans are all 13 pin these days, I run a 2 plug converter out of the 13 pin socket to match my older van, hanging them from the handle of the alco hitch with a piece of light welded link chain and a carabina so there is never a risk of them draging. Towed thousands of mile with this set up and not had a problem, unlike the7 pin socket on the landrover which seems to need rebuilding after every time it's dunked in a river.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 16:10   #19
pagan8c
Master Member

As others have said if you have to replace what is already there then get 13pin system it stays in place and when you put it in you know its connected because it sort of locks into place. In the past when I had 12n and 12s it use to pull out sometimes as they were only push fit. If you don't want a 13 pin on the van you can just get a converter already made up and just plug in and away you go.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pagan8c For This Useful Post: