Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SatNav crashed

Views : 1147

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2018, 22:40   #1
PaulBendall

Default SatNav crashed

Over the weekend I've done my first long drive in my new XC60. Overall I'm impressed and have had the chance to try out many of the systems; like partial dimming of full beam and seat belt pre-tensioning when some Kia driver decided to pull out into my lane!

However, one thing that went wrong was a complete crash of the SatNav system. Just tuned off the M32 outside Bristol onto the M4 heading towards Cribbs Causeway and the Satnav stopped updating and then crashed. The Sensus central screen turned off and the mini screen in the centre console displayed a location I'm guessing was somewhere in Sweden. The whole Sensus screen stayed off even with a long press of the home button. After about 5 minutes I switched from Auto Pilot to Adaptive Cruise Control and this either kicked the system or was a coincidence but the Sensus restarted. The NAV system had lost my destination and it wasn't even in Recent or Library.

Anyone else experienced something similar?
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 17:29   #2
jaysmith60
Getting to know my S90

Hi Paul
Glad you're enjoying the new car. This has happened to me a 3 or 4 times in 6 months of owning my S90, but the good news is it has always fixed itself within a few minutes (so far!!!).
The last time it occurred was only a couple of days ago, and the satnav display in the centre console correctly showed me cruising along the A14 but the dashboard map was centered on Gothenburg. Is this my Volvo's way of telling me it wants to go home?
If you search this forum for "sensus crash" or bugs, you will find that it is unfortunately quite common, but mostly not serious.
Jay
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 08:05   #3
dling

Same happened to me yesterday. I was also talking on the phone then I heard a continuous buzz, center screen shut off, few seconds later the map in the driver display went off, followed by a snap in the speakers. Phone was still on but I had to pick it up and continue the conversation. Using the turn lights did not produce any sounds, so clearly the speakers were off. Few minutes later everything turned back to normal like when you open the doors of your car.
Beside losing the destination like you did, when I got home and checked Volvo on call app, the segment from home to exactly the point this happened was completely missing from my trips. It was showing like I started from the next stop on.

Since it looks like this is not an isolated incident, did anyone report it to Volvo? My next scheduled visit to the dealer will probably be in 11 month (the car is one month old)... can such kind of stuff be reported via the “on call” button in the car?
dling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 08:30   #4
Kenp8257

Ive had a Sat Nav crash too - a journey home on the M11....

It crashed as i was using sensus main screen for music and the sat nav in between the two dials put me goidness knows where.....

Was like this the whole journey home.

It wasn't till i got home, exited and re-entered the car a few times did it come back to normal.....

S90, 2017, only owned the car for 3 months
Kenp8257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 08:55   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenp8257 View Post
Ive had a Sat Nav crash too - a journey home on the M11....

It crashed as i was using sensus main screen for music and the sat nav in between the two dials put me goidness knows where.....

Was like this the whole journey home.

It wasn't till i got home, exited and re-entered the car a few times did it come back to normal.....
Just like a PC, the best thing to do after a software crash is a full system reboot.
This means stop and turn off and lock the car.
Wait 15 minutes for the car to go entirely to sleep (all devices shut down)
Then restart the car

That's the same as restarting your PC. Just takes a bit longer.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 16:53   #6
Mavi57

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Just like a PC, the best thing to do after a software crash is a full system reboot.
Then restart the car

I don(t think you have to wait 15 minutes. Completely locking the car and waiting for the Sensus to get dark will do it.

Anyway, when the Sensus shows the running horizontal lines when opening/starting the car it is starting from zero/booting.
That's my experience
Mavi57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 14:59   #7
uro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavi57 View Post
I don(t think you have to wait 15 minutes. Completely locking the car and waiting for the Sensus to get dark will do it.

Anyway, when the Sensus shows the running horizontal lines when opening/starting the car it is starting from zero/booting.
That's my experience
I use the clock in drivers display as reference. If that fades out Sensus will restart with horizontal lines. This works also if maps need a restart for final installation after OTA updates.

In very limited cases that does not help. Then you can disconnect the battery in the boot for 5min. That will really restart all systems. Normally some of them stay on in a limited mode. And if those components are hung up normal restart is not enough.
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 16:57   #8
apnicolle

The only two times I have driven past Birmingham in the V90 the sat nav crashed, just on the M6. Both times had Spotify on and navigation. Everything went off and then came back on after a couple of false restarts, except as mentioned above all navigation directions had vanished and the app had no record of the 3hr drive to get to Birmingham.

Then exactly the same thing, within a junction or two of the earlier incident happened 6 months later.

And it's not as if the M6/M42/Toll junction area is anyway like complicated...in the rush hour.
V90 Cross Country D4 2017 Polestar, XC90 D5 ES 2014, C70 T5 SE 2008, S60 2.0T SE2006, V40 1.9D SE 2004, S40 1.8GDI SE 2002
apnicolle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 20:52   #9
WhatNext?

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Then restart the car

Glad it's like a PC, if was of a fruity flavour, it would claim that you are holding it the wrong way.

TFIC