Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stupid seat position question

Views : 944

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 13th, 2018, 15:59   #1
Steff79

Default Stupid seat position question

Hello,

I've driven and owned loads of cars and in many done circa 40k a year. Seat comfort has never been an issue but i did find my 2014 v60 r design seats exceptionally good.

I've driven lots of autos but never owned one.

I'm now in a 2015 v70 se lux auto. When I first drove it i found it very comfortable and had no complaints.

However, as I've now started putting some miles on it I struggle to find the right position, primarily for my right leg.

It's not an issue of seat, back or bum comfort as this is all fine.

In manual cars I've just always positioned the distance to the pedals based on my clutch foot and never really thought about my right foot, accelerator or brake. That has all just worked.

With this I try and position it as though I have an imaginary clutch pedal pushed to the floor but still find on a long journey that my right leg starts to get a bit uncomfortable kind of like a dead leg but no where near to that level.

I'm 5ft9 and fairly normal build. I suspect I'm just over thinking this now but it's really annoying me that I'm struggling to get comfy in a car that's all about comfort.

Any similar experiences or words of wisdom?

Thanks
Steff
Steff79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2018, 19:05   #2
Tatsfield
Premier Member

If I understand you rightly, the problem isn't the position of the seat but the position of the accelerator pedal. I found that. It is quite common on many cars that the throttle pedal is set much lower than the brake pedal. I assume this is to stop you accident simultaneously pressing both when braking. However, I have found that sometime the left side of my right foot caught under the brake pedal when moving my foot from the accelerator to the brake pedal.

This happened on a previous car I owned and I modded the accelerator pedals by inserting a shaped piece of stiff structural foam polythene from an electrical item packaging material between the pedal and the rubber cover. I found that the height difference between the pedals on the Volvo was 60 mm so I have done the same. The new pedal surface is a sheet of self adhesive plastic cupboard door bump stops on a rigid piece of plastic fixed to the existing pedal. I have driven cars with this mod for about 12 years and never had a problem whereas previously on the Volvo and other cars I frequently caught the edge of my foot under the brake pedal and took what seemed like an eternity to operate brakes. Scared the living daylights out of me!

If I misunderstood your pedal problem this isn't the mod for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181013_172828.jpg (81.7 KB, 37 views)
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 14:26   #3
40t

I often get some right side hip / knee pain on a long journey in my auto - that I didn't get in my previous manual. Partly, I think, this is because of the tendency for autos to have more resistance in the accelerator action and also because your leg is static for longer periods, because you're not changing gear. I find adjusting the seat position occasionally during the trip helps, as does taking the opportunity to move your leg around by using the cruise control where possible. I also wonder whether the seat squab isn't a touch on the firm side, which may affect circulation for some - I'd say they're very good seats, but not as immediately comfy as those in the V90, for example.
40t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 14:35   #4
green van man
Premier Member

I find the right hip starts to ache after 3 hours or so in my manual xc70 though can drive 12 hours in the discovery as it's more like sitting on a kitchen chair, similarly the works van. It's the stretched leg stance that does it for me whereas the van and the landrover it's a more upright sitting position.

Even with the seat at its highest setting after 3 hours, no matter how many comfort stops aching right hip is there for the rest of the journey, eases when walking around back within 10 minutes of resuming driving.

Yet to find a solution so interested what develops on this thread.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 16:57   #5
Steff79

Thanks all.

Interesting to hear that people do get similar. I don't remember getting anything like this in my old v60.... and agree, a demo v90 I covered about 1000 miles in was very comfortable.

40t - your points all make sense, about the leg being still for longer in an auto. Funny that an auto can effectively be less comfortable when you would think the exact opposite

Paul - I did a bit of googling and there was lots about more upright SUVs and vans naturally having a more comfortable position, makes sense I guess. I'm used to all sorts of more sporty things, from caterhams to 911s, so generally put the seat as low as it can go and enjoy that position. But I have found with the v70, a little but higher up is better.

Tatsfield - I don't think that is my issue but interesting all the same. I generally want the throttle to be a little lower, that way when you are hard on the brakes, the brake pedal and throttle pedal are about level and you can give it a blip, heel and toe style. Obviously not relevant on an auto but used a lot in other cars past and presents.

Anyway, I've just got in from an Oxford to Manchester trip, played about with the seat a bit and think I've got it just about sorted. Thank god for memory seats as it's taken me ages!!
Steff79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steff79 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 12:50   #6
NorthantsPete

i adjust my seat about 20 times every journey

I cant get into a decent position - there seems to be some sort of lumber support lacking as if i put the seat up straight, i find shoulders pushed forwards and back dipping...

if i set the seat right, im too high up and my heads near the ceiling, i prefer lower down but my hand have to lift too high to the steering wheel so i get arm ache.

i had some success pushing the steering wheel closer to the dash, but its not good for long journeys
NorthantsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 10:46   #7
I-S
Premier Member

Interesting....

As in so many ways, I appear to be the opposite of everyone else.

I can never get comfortable in a manual - if I adjust the seat for the clutch (as I was taught to do) then the accelerator is too close and my right leg hurts (knee and ankle). If I adjust for the accelerator then using the clutch is uncomfortable. I have no problem in most autos if they are sensibly designed (but found the Merc GLC and Jeep Grand Cherokee very bad because there's nowhere for the left foot to go and no footrest).

It took quite a while for me to find the positioning that was right for me in the V70, but often people (and I was included in that) don't know in what order to make adjustments and how, especially when you have a 10+ way adjustable seat.

Start with base positioning fore-aft such that your foot rests comfortably on the throttle. Set base height to have a comfortable angle at your ankle to the throttle. Set base tilt so that your leg is just lightly resting on the front of the seat base (ie avoid pressure on the underside of your thigh by the knee - your weight should be on your bum, not your thigh) - this is where I was going wrong and had too much pressure on my leg.

Now set recline to have the seat comfortably support your lower back - your shoulder blades should not be in contact with the seat (as you want them to be able to move without restriction or pressure as you turn the wheel). Set Lumbar to provide the correct support according to your back shape (again, I'm weird on this - I need lumbar a long way out compared to most people and many cars offer too little support for me). Position steering wheel reach so that your arms have around a 150 degree angle at the elbow, and set steering rake to give a comfortable height and a clear view of the instruments. If adjustable (volvo are not), set headrest height so that the top of the headrest is level with the top of your ear (but your head will not be in contact with it).

The car we're looking at replacing our V70 with has 18-way front seats.... that could be interesting!
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 14:12   #8
PEGE63
Master Member

Me 5.8, wife 5.3 so a bit of a compromise with the steering height and reach but overall memory settings for M1 and M2 works OK.
Have seat at heighest possible, steering wheel as low as possible whilst still be able to see all instruments.
Distance to pedals dictated by left foot on resting plate, have it slightly bent.
Seat base not too high at the front as legs go numb.
Tend to keep right heel somewhere between the 2 pedals ie only move the toe left/right/left.
Often lift up left leg in a 90 degree angle to get some variation and move right leg too when on cruise (where its safe to do so).
Never use the lumbar, cant stand the lump in my back.
400 Miles never an issue for me.

V70 D5 (185) SE Sport, Geartronic, 58 MY08 4C. 133k
(before Avensis 55 95K, P97 945 LPT 2.3FK 113K and J92 945 2.0T 165K)
PEGE63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 18:46   #9
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Me 5 ft 10 ins, wife 4 ft 10 ins. She doesn't drive it!

As I posted earlier, for me, I find the height position of the throttle and the brake just too different to accommodate with seat adjustments so I have taken to building up the height of the throttle pedal so my right foot doesn't have to over extend on acceleration and my knee doesn't have to retract and lift before braking.
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 00:19   #10
apersson850
Premier Member

I have no issues with the difference in height between the pedals. I usually have the seat as low as possible and the steering wheel as far back as possible.

I use the cruise control extensively, as it makes it possible to move around both legs a bit, something which makes them endure sitting there much longer.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote