Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First ever automatic box

Views : 2701

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 15th, 2018, 20:58   #21
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christheancient View Post
The convention that used to be taught (may still be by some instructors?) was that "If the pause becomes a wait, use the handbrake."
Our company Driver Instructor uses that principle, seems simple, for a pause you can leave it in gear if you wait or stop take it out of gear. Seems simple until you get to the junction and sit there in gear and he says 'Why are you sitting here with it in gear?' reply 'I'm waiting for...' oh bugger got me again

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 22:05   #22
SteEnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
Our company Driver Instructor uses that principle, seems simple, for a pause you can leave it in gear if you wait or stop take it out of gear. Seems simple until you get to the junction and sit there in gear and he says 'Why are you sitting here with it in gear?' reply 'I'm waiting for...' oh bugger got me again
The annoying thing is (in the V40 anyway), the stop start only works when you hold your foot on the brake. Even if you slip into neutral or park and apply the handbrake, as soon as you take your foot off the brake, the engine restarts.
So in Volvo's mind, you should just use the footbrake.
SteEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 14:49   #23
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
Top Tip - always get the gearbox oil changed every 40-50,000 miles using the absolute correct spec!!!!!!
For my own peace of mind, since I've no idea when it was last done (if ever!), I'd like to renew the oil. I saw mention of a guide on here, it was fondly called "the $NAME method" but I've no idea what the name was now!! I seem to recall it involved using the engine to pump out the old stuff while the new oil went in. Does anyone know the guide/method I'm talking about, and where I can find it?

Also, does the gearbox and torque converter share the same oil? Or is there two; Gear oil for gears, and some exotic stuff for the torque converter?
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 16:47   #24
Whippy
Premier Member

I learnt to drive an auto box in my youth by the simple expedient of driving with my left foot tucked under me. Never owned one until a few years ago and honestly I would never go back.
Whippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 19:34   #25
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
For my own peace of mind, since I've no idea when it was last done (if ever!), I'd like to renew the oil. I saw mention of a guide on here, it was fondly called "the $NAME method" but I've no idea what the name was now!! I seem to recall it involved using the engine to pump out the old stuff while the new oil went in. Does anyone know the guide/method I'm talking about, and where I can find it?

Also, does the gearbox and torque converter share the same oil? Or is there two; Gear oil for gears, and some exotic stuff for the torque converter?
its called the gibbons method type into google for guide on how to do it
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 19:56   #26
Dippydog
Premier Member

Gearbox and torque converter share the same oil.A straight drain/refill of the box would leave the torque converter full of the old oil which then mixes with the fresh oil you've put in the box.The Gibbons method-as I understand it-means running the engine to pump the oil out[including from the converter]while fresh oil is put in at the same time.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 22:52   #27
Christerart
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post

Can anyone give me some tips and advice please?
I'm going to give you something you didn't ask for but you need to know.

You did not say year and mileage of your car - but if it got more than 80K and the paperwork does not mention a partial or full change of the transmission fluid you should do that.

Contrary to Volvo's charge that the transmission fluid is for "life" it is not.

Do at least a partial "dump" and add a bottle of Lubeguard Red:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lubegard-...NOes:rk:1:pf:0

Your transmission will thank you and be very happy..
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 23:23   #28
Waynedance

At the lights my foot is on the brake, the brake lights ain't hurting anyone maybe just annoying some folk. As far as I know when the foot is on the brake and in drive my Geartronic goes in to neutral.
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 01:02   #29
canis
Non Fragile

I won't clutter the page by individually thanking everyone, but they're all good and I'm enormously grateful to you all. Like I said, I'm almost entirely new to automatic transmission, so draining the fluid will be breaking new ground for me. Having watched a few youtube videos, it looks fairly straightforward.

I think the gibbons method might be outside of my technical capability, what with all the extra hoses and bell jars and suchlike. I might just have to settle for draining it twice instead. No doubt it'll be expensive, i'm sure. But it'll be worth it if the gearbox will last longer. I'm certain an overhaul would be really expensive, and completely beyond my skills! So two lots of oil is a safer bet, I think. I'll consider it an insurance - I'm actually doing the same with the engine oil right now. On payday, I'll be chnaging the engine oil again, it's only been in there a month but changing it again will remove a lot of dirt/debris/soot/etc and prevention is always better than cure.

I'm not opposed to manual gearboxes, far from it. Christ knows, I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles that way. If I had a land-rover, or a van or truck or something, a manual would be fine. But nevertheless, the unhurried feeling of just gracefully oozing down the street (with the quiet knowledge a simple kick will have it rear up, wave it's front hooves in the air, and break into a fast gallop) but it all just feels so effortless! Driving home today on the M60, dragging a small trailer behind me at a steady 55mph, and it's barely ticking-over. Man, I love this car!

Oh, for those who asked, it's a V40 built in 1999. 2000cc, turbo intercooler. A straight-four engine, 16V DOHC. It's the kind which sits between marques, not quite a Phase 2, but not a Phase 1 either. The car has been very unloved. Dirt and muck everywhere, the underside looks horrible! As I go around finding things to do it'll gradually improve. She's in good hands now. EDIT: 160,000-ish miles, if I remember right.

Talking of towing, and I'm talking caravans now, the thought of putting all that extra weight through basically just oil pressure doesn't sit to comfortably in my thoughts. But it must be possible, I mean, americans do it all the time, right? "Momma cayn't drahve no stick." And I'm expecting their gross train weight would far exceed ours, by the time they've installed the jacuzzi and the sauna and the six-hob stove and walk-in freezer, and still attached a speed boat to the back of it all! I'm joking, but the point stands. Certainly the one Winnebago I rode in was automatic, and that seemed to manage alright. So I'm probably worrying over nothing.

Anyway, thanks for the tips, everyone. And I continue to welcome any more advice anyone has to offer.

Last edited by canis; Oct 18th, 2018 at 01:07.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 08:06   #30
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christheancient View Post

Dazzle? Red light doesn't dazzle!
It certainly can be uncomfortable and dazzling to me...
tofufi is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post: