Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

anyone know anything about 4 stroke scooter engines

Views : 2123

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2011, 17:29   #21
pauls0701

well looks like it could be dead! have today stripped it down and the piston has melted at the side rings are shot and bore is marked. looking at 230 for new piston and barrel or 50 for just new piston and take the risk the barrel might be ok. but really think it about rights it off
pauls0701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 18:39   #22
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauls0701 View Post
well looks like it could be dead! have today stripped it down and the piston has melted at the side rings are shot and bore is marked. looking at 230 for new piston and barrel or 50 for just new piston and take the risk the barrel might be ok. but really think it about rights it off

It depends how bad the bore is, if its only slight, you can buy/or borrow a honing tool which will fit on a leccy drill, plenty of oil and take your time, you will prob get away with it, ive seen it loads of times (melt piston) and a bit of bore scoring, take the barrel off and run your fingers around without looking, feel for damage, if you can get it smooth again, the rings will take up a bit of play, thats the whole point, ive seen cars when a belt has snapped and left bits of broken valve embedded in the piston crown, dont matter what that looks like as long as it seals, crikey, ive fixed bent valves with a screwdriver, bent em back lol and got car running again.

Check these out:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Draper-Brake-C...e#ht_500wt_922
Old May 15th, 2011, 19:21   #23
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

Any idea what caused the melt down in the first place? 2nd hand engine maybe worth a thought.
2014 V40 Cross Country
Please consider registering with the Anthony Nolan Trust, you could save a life.
scottishvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 20:21   #24
pauls0701

no idea what caused it there was no overheating as had only been running 5 mins at most and there is a temp gauge on dash so can only think it was oil stavation but is only contained to the piston so maybe was a bit low but did only check it a few days before it went so not really sure.

think i will prob try and get a new piston and just see if i can get it running again cant really afford to just right off £600.

have looked for second hand engines and cant find one
Old May 15th, 2011, 20:23   #25
pauls0701

thanks for the link looks cheap enough to get and at least try and save the bore
Old May 15th, 2011, 20:38   #26
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

Sorry. Posted twice see next post.

Last edited by Oilydad; May 15th, 2011 at 21:00.
Oilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 20:45   #27
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

I'd simply put it down to experience and keep a sharp eye on the Ebay auctions.

Like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/sym-125-euro-m...item4cf7368a68

Currently at.............99p

For the hassle you're going to have, I'd sell the parts for spares, and offset it against a better scooter.

Bug*er I know.....but take it from an old guy. It's better than throwing good money after bad!
Old May 17th, 2011, 18:26   #28
pauls0701

thanks for the reply but have managed to fine a complete piston kit for just £25 so going to try it first as not costing to much. the honing tool i will have to get the bigger one which is slighty more expensive at about £20 but at least i will have it for the future. having looked at the bore better today its not as damaged as i firsat though as it looks like most if it is melted bits of piston that are just stuck to it.

im feeling that more confident about it today that i have started to rebuild it and even fitted the new belt and rollers i had brought about a month ago
The Following User Says Thank You to pauls0701 For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2011, 18:13   #29
mistmover

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauls0701 View Post
i brought a sym joyride 180cc scooter about a month ago and all was going well untill yesterday when on way home from work it just cut out on me and wouldnt re start.

i have checked the following
spark, good strong one
fuel, double checked this by squirting some easy start in the carb,
checked the cam timing. spot on.
compresion. not go a compresion tester but put finger over spark plug hole and there seemed plenty there.

anyone got any ideas what else i can check as brought this to save some fuel money traveling to work and it stands me at £600 so need to get it running else i could have just used the car for the next year and been just as well off
check the ht lead as ive had bike that when plug was out it sparked but as soon as i put the plug back the ht lead changed angle and it wouldnt spark,plus if petrol getting in but not sparking the plug will be wet with petrol,and if you was racing the bike hard you may of messed up the timing.....dry plug no petrol...best of luck
mistmover is offline   Reply With Quote