Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

It's not like me to moan about the Police but...

Views : 5979

Replies : 80

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2011, 16:36   #21
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Is what happened with that copper for real??

unbelievabale.

It's not illegal to modify your exhaust, but it can't stick out further than your car does apparently - if you want to be picky (that's what I've heard at least)

The way I think of it ... their crime is to be am arrogant power obsessed copper, which is also their punishment as they will go through their whole life alienating others and not having long lasting or meaningful relationships with people.

If a copper pulls me over, I'd think.... There isn't one thing they could do to me to make me wish I could swap my life for theirs

As a former RAF officer, I think coppers are just the chaff who weren't good enough to get a Full commission in the Forces so went for the easy option - even the Military police officers were looked down upon as the unfortunate! It was a prime 're-branch' if you fail your exams etc.. for your chosen branch they let you become a Copper instead as the soft option, as just about anyone could pass the exams and professional course.

When I quit, they asked me if I'd want to be a copper instead and stay doing something 'easier' - I said NO! and made my own way in life.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

Last edited by t5_monkey; May 15th, 2011 at 16:42.
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 16:37   #22
andy_d
Premier Member

as long as the head gasket doesnt go now the engines getting enough fuel ......
Old May 15th, 2011, 16:45   #23
crankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungus View Post
I've seen that type of tyre damage before it was caused by a broken coil spring cutting the side wall, quite common on Citroen Piccasso's apparantly.
also common on mecedes c class,thats one off the reasons im back to volvo
crankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 17:52   #24
Volvophile
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
but,,,who'd Buy a rover 75??? a French car is preferable to a rover 75,,,and thats saying something....
The 75 is a bloody great car. It deserved so much better.
Volvophile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvophile For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2011, 18:03   #25
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Modify exhaust?

I'd like to see chapter and verse on the assertions that: -

(a) it is illegal to modify the exhaust (or to do so so as to increase the loudness); and

(b) it is obligatory to notify one's insurers when replacing standard exhaust with standard exhaust (pattern or OEM).
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 18:13   #26
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerthechorister View Post
I'd like to see chapter and verse on the assertions that: -

(a) it is illegal to modify the exhaust (or to do so so as to increase the loudness); and

(b) it is obligatory to notify one's insurers when replacing standard exhaust with standard exhaust (pattern or OEM).
roger
seeing as my ins co wanted to charge 5% more for swapping a Volvo cloth interior to a volvo leather one...
Old May 15th, 2011, 19:13   #27
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Rodger, google road traffic act for the exhaust modification thing

The insurance thing isn't enforced as its one of those "silly" rules, but it does exsist

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 19:55   #28
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post

unbelievabale.

As a former RAF officer, I think coppers are just the chaff who weren't good enough to get a Full commission in the Forces so went for the easy option - even the Military police officers were looked down upon as the unfortunate! It was a prime 're-branch' if you fail your exams etc.. for your chosen branch they let you become a Copper instead as the soft option, as just about anyone could pass the exams and professional course.

When I quit, they asked me if I'd want to be a copper instead and stay doing something 'easier' - I said NO! and made my own way in life.
Well i am not a Policeman nor have i been in the Forces but judging by your comments i take it that you walk around with a Torch on your head because it must be awfully dark when you are so far up your own AR**, full of your own perceived self importance and look down on other less adequate plebs.
What a naive view of anyone else's intelligence who does not happen to be an Officer. Surely you are not telling me that all Officers in the Armed Forces are exceptionally gifted or intelligent?

Were you a Pilot , a Navigator or just a pen pusher in the RAF? Incidententally , how long were you in the RAF for?

If neither a Pilot or Navigator, i have heard other Army officers state that those joining the RAF want to ensure that they join the Forces without ever having to fight or is that just an unfounded generalisation such as you have made?

Last edited by S60D5-185; May 15th, 2011 at 20:27.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2011, 10:43   #29
JimG
Premier Member

Quote:
Some of us do the job because we want to do good, and help those who can't help themselves.

I have respect for the PCs who have done their time on the front line, it's not easy.

Don't get me wrong, there are idiots in every job, and they cause the rest of us embarrassment.

www.alignmycar.co.uk
www.rearfacing.co.uk
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JimG For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2011, 11:30   #30
gulavelt
I've Been Banned

Quote:

unbelievabale.

It's not illegal to modify your exhaust, but it can't stick out further than your car does apparently - if you want to be picky (that's what I've heard at least)

The way I think of it ... their crime is to be am arrogant power obsessed copper, which is also their punishment as they will go through their whole life alienating others and not having long lasting or meaningful relationships with people.

If a copper pulls me over, I'd think.... There isn't one thing they could do to me to make me wish I could swap my life for theirs

LMFAO, As someone who was a lowly flt eng and a very junior officer when i left the RAF i can only guffaw at your pompous conceit, quite amazing, however not exactly unknown, just out of interest what branch of the service were you in?
As far as im concerned the police on the whole do a fine job, its certainly no easy option, and demands at times much from its members, i for one would not want to do the job for the salary in todays society
gulavelt is offline   Reply With Quote