Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brighten your headlamps, for free!

Views : 19054

Replies : 93

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 30th, 2016, 13:24   #51
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

A small tip for anybody cleaning the lenses and having issue with one screw underneath the light leveling motor.
please see this post, hope it helps.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...&postcount=213
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 14:10   #52
Athamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bin The L Plates View Post
I've a 2010 C30 D2 SE Lux with Active Bending Headlights and I've tried to do this 'clean up' but it's proving impossible,
I can undo the 3 screw and loosen the bulb housing but it is proving impossible to remove.
The inside of the headlight looks different to the photos that others have posted and possibly its due to all the mechanics of the bending mechanism.
The particular problem is a plastic bar that blocks the reflector unit from clearing the headlight, and no matter how a manoeuvre it around it still catches and I'm unable to wiggle it free.
Anybody got any clues ..........
I tried to do this "clean up" in my own V50 (MY11) with ABL Bi-Xenon lights.
First I must say that the support of the projector is different.
There are four screws that keep it. Once I tried to unscrew the first, it broke!
After that I did not touch none of the other three.
Then I use my imagination...! Α few different tire-ups, soft sun glass-cleaning cloth, glass cleaning liquid and a torch.
It is difficult and requires patience to complete the work.
Initially with the wet cloth through openings with tire-ups operating as arms and then with the dry cloth.
The result is not as David’s who pulled them out and made a perfect cleaning but the effect is equally satisfying. More than 95%.
The bulbs that I use are Philips Xenon Vision D1S. After cleaning, I thought that I’d use more powerful bulbs.
Old Oct 7th, 2018, 20:58   #53
Geoffherbert

I cleaned my lenses last year and whilst I've noticed some improvement, my issue appears to be a faded reflector - I ca.n see through it if I hold it in bright light!

Has anyone ever replaced or refurbished these reflectors? If so, where did you get the parts/ how did you refurbish? I've seen something in an earlier post about mirror vinyl - does that work or would it just distort the beam?

Thanks in advance
Geoff
Geoffherbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2018, 21:26   #54
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffherbert View Post
I cleaned my lenses last year and whilst I've noticed some improvement, my issue appears to be a faded reflector - I ca.n see through it if I hold it in bright light!

Has anyone ever replaced or refurbished these reflectors? If so, where did you get the parts/ how did you refurbish? I've seen something in an earlier post about mirror vinyl - does that work or would it just distort the beam?

Thanks in advance
Geoff
make yourself brew and have a read of
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=263340
and
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286619

might have the info in for what you need And some alternative options
Old Oct 8th, 2018, 15:16   #55
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
make yourself brew and have a read of
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=263340
*HINT*
Start from 2nd page on this thread as my 1st set of pic went down. :P

Replacing projectors is really easy, problem is finding either a good set of used ones (most will be burnt or damaged) or getting a pricey aftermarket ones.
you DONT have to go HID, easiest and cheapest option is set of H7 from retrofilab and will work pretty well with H7 (see T5R's thread).
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 00:39   #56
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
*HINT*
Start from 2nd page on this thread as my 1st set of pic went down. :P

Replacing projectors is really easy, problem is finding either a good set of used ones (most will be burnt or damaged) or getting a pricey aftermarket ones.
you DONT have to go HID, easiest and cheapest option is set of H7 from retrofilab and will work pretty well with H7 (see T5R's thread).
Having looked at my old Saab 93 which has bi-xenons and my new s40 which has h7 projectors... is there any possibility that I could salvage the Saab projectors ballasts and bulbs drivers etc and fit them into the Volvo casings...would they work or would I get errors etc...
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 09:28   #57
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by osullivant View Post
Having looked at my old Saab 93 which has bi-xenons and my new s40 which has h7 projectors... is there any possibility that I could salvage the Saab projectors ballasts and bulbs drivers etc and fit them into the Volvo casings...would they work or would I get errors etc...
no no no, you dont wanna go this route unprepared.
Firstly, read all the threads here ref HIDs installation and issues it causes - it can harm your car in nasty way if you just "plug the stuff in".
Secondly, check what kind of projectors 93 has - you are looking for a variation of "Bosch AL" or commonly known "E46" projector. If thats what is there, it may be possible to swap and directly bolt the projectors in the Volvo lamp.
As for swapping ballasts from Saab etc - not sure if thats easier/better than just getting a set of aftermarket ballasts. Its certainly possible, but not sure if wiring/connecting is not gonna be too much hassle, usually OEM xenon systems are too integrated in the wiring and using them in ex-h7 setup may be pointless. You could achieve the same by using aftermarket ballasts that are easy to install & hook up to H7 wiring.

but check those first 2 conditions I wrote above, it is REALLY important to familiarise yourself with this setup before you do anything.

If you decide to go ahead with swap, happy to help, Im curious if that will work
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 12:20   #58
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
no no no, you dont wanna go this route unprepared.
Firstly, read all the threads here ref HIDs installation and issues it causes - it can harm your car in nasty way if you just "plug the stuff in".
Secondly, check what kind of projectors 93 has - you are looking for a variation of "Bosch AL" or commonly known "E46" projector. If thats what is there, it may be possible to swap and directly bolt the projectors in the Volvo lamp.
As for swapping ballasts from Saab etc - not sure if thats easier/better than just getting a set of aftermarket ballasts. Its certainly possible, but not sure if wiring/connecting is not gonna be too much hassle, usually OEM xenon systems are too integrated in the wiring and using them in ex-h7 setup may be pointless. You could achieve the same by using aftermarket ballasts that are easy to install & hook up to H7 wiring.

but check those first 2 conditions I wrote above, it is REALLY important to familiarise yourself with this setup before you do anything.

If you decide to go ahead with swap, happy to help, Im curious if that will work
Thanks for that reply, my affection for the saab route is the quality of the existing setup viz a viz the components and the fact that the bulbs and one of the ballasts are new...as against after market parts, (my son used an aftermarket set up in a focus which was not really long lasting and represented a risky proposition facing into a long winter and driving Dublin to Cork regularly..

Yes.... I agree the wiring may be too integrated but ultimately both systems will have H7 versions originally as it may be just a case of research,

I might pick up a used Saab lamp and check the mechanical fit as a first step...
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 12:45   #59
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by osullivant View Post
Thanks for that reply, my affection for the saab route is the quality of the existing setup viz a viz the components and the fact that the bulbs and one of the ballasts are new...as against after market parts, (my son used an aftermarket set up in a focus which was not really long lasting and represented a risky proposition facing into a long winter and driving Dublin to Cork regularly..

Yes.... I agree the wiring may be too integrated but ultimately both systems will have H7 versions originally as it may be just a case of research,

I might pick up a used Saab lamp and check the mechanical fit as a first step...
Oh, didnt notice we are on the same side of the pond Agree with quality of components, I think it should be possible to use OEM saab ballasts and just adapt wiring to it, but cant be 100% sure. Aftermarket ballasts are various quality, but decent set of Stealth or Kensuns (ballast only) wont cost more than 30-40 quid and you can still use your bulbs, just so you know.
But its only providing projectors will fit.
Let us know when inspecting Saab lamps, I am curious what projectors are used there.
And bear in mind what I said about proper preparation of your car prior to HID route (DRL disable and SKBOWe or DYI resistor with extra ground harness) or all bad things will happen :/
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 18:37   #60
Stuarto

Default Headlight cleaning

My 2012 1.6 drive e dip beam is garbage , how do i know what type ofheadlights i have fitted ? Its a 2012 se lux ..any ideas before i start ripping them out to find imwasting mytime..

Cheers stuart
Stuarto is offline   Reply With Quote