Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Found out anything new about your car?

Views : 3115

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2017, 14:53   #21
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCeed View Post
I’ve mentioned before my dismay about the downright dangerous operation of the Start/Stop button on the XC60 Geartronic. If you pull up and are distracted enough to forget to put the transmission to P, then the engine does NOT STOP when you press the Stop button! Serious risk of car leaping forward as you get out! Don’t know of any other car that allows this.
(Might not be the case in the new generation model).
If I try and stop my engine whilst in gear, I get a warning sound and alert on the dash!

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 17:10   #22
schicksal

I've had the car nearly ten years and fully disassembled it during that time. The only surprise left to figure out is which hose is letting the air conditioner refrigerant out.
schicksal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 17:34   #23
XCeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
If I try and stop my engine whilst in gear, I get a warning sound and alert on the dash!
I assume you are referring to the V70...not the case in the XC60.
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 18:15   #24
bob12
bob12

If I turn the key to start my 745 when it's in 1st gear it fires up and proceeds forwards to severely talk to the gate immediately in front of it. However, the car suffered absolutely no damage; not even a blemish on the bumper. That can't be said of the gate.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 19:13   #25
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCeed View Post
I’ve mentioned before my dismay about the downright dangerous operation of the Start/Stop button on the XC60 Geartronic. If you pull up and are distracted enough to forget to put the transmission to P, then the engine does NOT STOP when you press the Stop button! Serious risk of car leaping forward as you get out! Don’t know of any other car that allows this.
(Might not be the case in the new generation model).
But it gives you a message which is (should be) impossible to miss telling you that you are in gear.

I’ve never had an automatic that I can switch off when I leave it in gear - and that is for a good reason - there isn’t a clutch to enable you to start withbthebgearbox in Drive and that would be the effect of letting the car switch off whilst a drive gear is engaged
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 20:47   #26
XCeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
But it gives you a message which is (should be) impossible to miss telling you that you are in gear.

I’ve never had an automatic that I can switch off when I leave it in gear - and that is for a good reason - there isn’t a clutch to enable you to start withbthebgearbox in Drive and that would be the effect of letting the car switch off whilst a drive gear is engaged
Two points...
1) You are unlikely to be looking at the dash after switching off and opening the door to get out. No audible signal.
2) We’ve obviously been driving different autos. My current auto car, for example, immediately stops the engine when you press Stop button in Drive and the car is stationary. Selector can then be moved to Park, no problem. Just been outside to test it.

(Of course, this was never a problem with ignition keys, as opposed to Start/Stop buttons.)
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 21:10   #27
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

In an P1 S60, hold down the doorlock button for 5 seconds and the display will read "autolock on" (or off).

Doors will auto lock when you drive off.
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 07:02   #28
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
In an P1 S60, hold down the doorlock button for 5 seconds and the display will read "autolock on" (or off).

Doors will auto lock when you drive off.
Only works post-facelift models

A useful trick on P3's is to put the wipers into service mode to bring the arms to the top of their sweep to change the blades: fob in the slot and push the wiper stalk up for a second or two.
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 07:34   #29
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Found out last night there's a soft light behind the floating centre console
Old May 9th, 2018, 19:18   #30
Baxlin
Old Rocker

I must get out more!

Found out today that with the top down, when locking the doors with the remote, they don’t fully deadlock straight away, there’s quite a time lag. In the meantime the doors can be unlocked using the rocker switch on the door.