Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rain sensor (auto wipers) not working

Views : 1707

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 23:57   #1
Sdp101

Default Rain sensor (auto wipers) not working

Has anyone got any suggestions for a rain sensor that just refuses to detect rain?

The windscreen was replaced last year which started us having problems. I didn't pick up at the time that we had an issue and annoyingly by the time we did it was past the time we could make any claim with Autoglass. Originally the issue was the wipers would just get quicker and quicker in all conditions, even if it was barely raining. Putting a new silicone pad on made no difference and on inspection the IR sensor had some marks on it, so I think the alignment had gone on it. I bought a cheap second hand sensor and didn't have any joy with it, but again there were some visible marks on the on it so gave up. Several months later, after a few wet journeys I bit the bullet and bought a brand new sensor, with a new gel pad. However I still cannot get it to work. Currently it seems to not detect rain at all unless you poor a whole jug of water over it and it will then do a single wipe. I've been pretty meticulous at attaching them, with IPA use to clean the windscreen and making sure there is a good seal between everything but I still can't get it to work.

It's surprising how much we miss this, as it just simply worked before our windscreen gained an almighty crack across it. The local Volvo dealer wanted well over £300 to fix it back in May which I'm loathed to pay, however I've run out of other options at the moment.
Sdp101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 22:55   #2
OldEngineer

I don't have a solution; just an observation on the original status.

When you get smearing from Diesel fuel on the screen the streaking causes the sensor to see 'heavy rain' and then the wipers just get faster and faster as you observed. A short journey down a motorway full of trucks is enough to get diesel on the screen. The remedy is a Cream Cleaner to cut through the build up.

So what you have now is just a failing sensor or the connection to the software.
OldEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 23:23   #3
Sdp101

Cheers. I think I need to remove the sensor again and check the connections.
Sdp101 is offline   Reply With Quote