Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 broken down, second time today!

Views : 4804

Replies : 140

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2018, 22:21   #21
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Fuel pumps running, rev counter twitching, that's two down out of the obvious three. Next one is the RSR (Radio Suppression Relay) which i've already explained further up the thread.

If you can test/check that tomorrow and that seems good, check all your HT leads for security in where they should be, it's not unknown for them to be inadvertently knocked, pulled or whatever and for them to finish working themselves loose after.

If all that looks good, check the carbon brush inside the dizzy cap, make sure that hasn't failed/broken off.

The other option is the ignition amplifier module but usually the rev counter doesn't twitch if that goes.

Cheers for making it all so black and white. I am very tired and very hungry. I came home to no bread and I got in my beast to go and buy bread and she let me down!

What if isn't any of the 3? Jumping the gun already, typical me, sorry!

I didn't think I had a distributor on a 1997 fuel injection? Shows what I know. Oh yes, Haynes shows me that I have one! :-)

Thank you so much everybody, feeling a bit more confident about getting back to work by next week now

They are going to give me a lot of stick when I go back to work that my ultra reliable Volvo whose praises I sing let me down! :-)

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 22:52   #22
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

If it's not one of the three then there are other things to check. Gone for the usual/obvious causes at the moment but it's all a process of elimination.

No bread is a bummer - hopefully there's a nearby shop open in the morning, meanwhile dinner a la doorbell? Takeaway that delivers in other words!

As for your workmates giving you stick, one breakdown in 6-7 years isn't bad, bet they've had more on theirs!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 23:07   #23
Forrest
VOC Member

Going back to your first post, did the belt replacement include the timing belt? If the timing is out that could lead to a no start condition.

In general, with faults that occur after work has been done I’d check the things that have changed first. However, with cars this age it’s also not unheard of for other things to fail after something nearby is disturbed.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 23:14   #24
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Going back to your first post, did the belt replacement include the timing belt? If the timing is out that could lead to a no start condition.

In general, with faults that occur after work has been done I’d check the things that have changed first. However, with cars this age it’s also not unheard of for other things to fail after something nearby is disturbed.
Hi, no, only the alternator, power steering and air con belts . Just that and an oil and filter change and an MOT

The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 23:22   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post

I hope not!

I am curious about something though, why go all the way to Wales from somewhere in the Reading/Oxford area for a Volvo indie? Even at Main Dealer prices, it would be cheaper to go to a Main Dealer for work like that than pay the petrol to drive all the way to Wales and back!

Of course, the scenery may not be anywhere near as nice but it would be a shorter journey!

Speaking of which - when was the fuel filter last renewed?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 23:58   #26
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I hope not!

I am curious about something though, why go all the way to Wales from somewhere in the Reading/Oxford area for a Volvo indie? Even at Main Dealer prices, it would be cheaper to go to a Main Dealer for work like that than pay the petrol to drive all the way to Wales and back!

Of course, the scenery may not be anywhere near as nice but it would be a shorter journey!

Speaking of which - when was the fuel filter last renewed?

My parents live in South Wales and my Dad was a Volvo driver for 30 years or so so I combine a trip to see my parents with getting all my work done on my car at the fab Volvo indi my Dad used for decades, in fact he still uses them for work on his BMW. They are very good and very cheap

Car is lpg so its very cheap to run up and down. I had run out of lpg due to having to return to the garage when all the trouble started, I was running on petrol throughout all the problems

I think they charge me about £40 an hour labour, I imagine Reading Volvo dealers are maybe £200 an hour? Does anyone know the main stealer prices these days?

Fuel filter was replaced year before last, last year they said it didn't need doing and wouldn't do it when I asked, probably should have put the car in for full service this year to be honest, could it be that?

The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 00:22   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Now the penny has dropped!

Do you know the procedure for emergency starting on LPG and have you got gas now?

Assuming you have gas, try using the emergency starting procedure on LPG. Most systems you turn the ignition on, switch from auto petrol/LPG changeover to petrol only, back to auto then turn the key to the start position and hold it there until it starts, which it should within a few seconds. Don't crank it more than 10 seconds though. When you stop cranking, before having another try, just let go of the key, don't switch the ignition off or you'll have to redo the emergency start again.

If my theory is correct, it should start fairly easily on gas, maybe a little lumpy until the vapouriser/reducer gets a bit of warmth in it from the engine but will hopefully get you going, assuming nothing else that we've already discussed is wrong.

Assuming it does start on gas, how much petrol is showing in the tank? If it's about 1/4 tank or less, go to Toolstation and buy a 2L bottle of methylated spirits, add it to the petrol tank and maybe a gallon of petrol from a can (unless you're not embarrassed by putting £6 worth in at a garage!) to help wash it down the filler neck and take it for a drive, switching back to petrol only after a few minutes on gas.

If my theory is right, you have a serious amount of condensation in the petrol tank and as you've had to use the petrol due to running out of gas, you've got it down to a level where there's a lot more water. Also the fact you stopped the engine so the pumps weren't running means all the water/condensation would drain back to the bottom of the tank. Then restarting would have been mainly on water!

That's why it took so much cranking! If you haven't got gas or the suggested emergency start procedure doesn't work or is different and you don't know it, it only leaves starting on petrol.

That being the case, do the few checks i've outlined above then get yourself 2L of meths from Toolstation and add it to the fuel tank. I'm hoping the fuel is down to 1/4 tank or less by now.

Try starting the engine in short bursts on the starter, don't switch the ignition off between attemepts but let it pause for a few seconds after each burst on the starter - you should hear the fuel pump whirr at this point. This will help circulate the meths through the system so it emulsifies the water/condensation so it can be burned off with the petrol. Don't ask me the exact chemistry, i don't know it, i just know it works and had exactly the same problem on my old 827 Coupé after running out of gas and running on petrol for a while.

In fact, with the extra information you've just added, i'd be tempted to get the meths and try that first with the short bursts on the starter leaving the ignition on between bursts so the fuel pump runs.

Old Oct 10th, 2018, 08:23   #28
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

Hi, I often run on petrol, I've got over half a tank, doubt theres water in my petrol, she ran a long way up the motorway on the petrol in there very smoothly. I often run on petrol because I only have a 40 litre gas tank

I didn't know the emergency procedure to start on gas, I don't have any gas in! She's been starting first time perfectly well on this batch of petrol every day, every time, including when I first started up yesterday morning

I can't go and get gas or buy meths or anything because I live in a remote area and I have no car!

Just phoned in work, they were very understanding

Last edited by Laney760; Oct 10th, 2018 at 08:44.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 08:43   #29
Laney760
VOC Member

I've decided I'm going to have the car relayed by RAC into Volvos at Reading after trying a few things myself, I can't be relayed to the local indi, its over 10 miles away

The code reader seems to say 111 for each read after pressing the button twice which means nothing wrong on the fuel side of things on the code reading?

I'm losting money hand over fist whilst its off the road as I can't get into work

Rang my Volvo indi in Wales and they said with this model it's usually the fuel pump relay or the pressure switch near the in-line something or other or it could be the other fuel pump in the petrol tank (which I wondered)

Old Oct 10th, 2018, 09:38   #30
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

At first remove the fuel pump relay. The access will be mucheld easier if you remove the little board including the lighter above the ashtray.
It is a white one.
Open it
Resolver it
DONE!

Second if still won't start:
Change the CPS. You should to this even it isn't the CPS . They won't last more than 6 years.

Third:
You car is with one pump in tank. Expensive. Hopefully this one is OK

Rotor and cap maybe faulty too. Don't buy cheap crap. Bosch both or nothing. No Bosch made in China. Be aware of stuff made in China.
Did you have a closer look to the spark plugs and leads?

I believe still in 1-3

1 and 2 are very easy done as DIY.

Till now I never ever had a problem with the ignition module and the RSR at a +94 940. A lot of cars like this went trough my rescue. 5 in the family. Never one stopped suddenly by a fault. Only by a accident. Good maintenance is everything at a volvo. They will run over 550kmIles without props.

Good luck, Kay

Last edited by mocambique-amazone; Oct 10th, 2018 at 09:49. Reason: S h i t t y autocorrection at a mobile in Germany writen in a foreign language :-(((
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post: