Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Adaptive Shadow LED

Views : 4721

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 16th, 2018, 22:54   #11
mdmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by S90 View Post
What do users think of this as a whole?

I find it quite distracting having the lights going on and off etc, sometimes it works on the motorway, other times it just revert to high or low beam with no adaptive.

I just watched a video of Audis new HD Matrix system and it A LOT smoother and faster to respond, it almost flows in terms of LED's being on or off?

Your thoughts?
It seems few people agree with you, but I do. This Volvo headlight technology has been rather disappointing to me. It seems definitely rough and obsolete compared with Audi's MATRIX technology. And, as you say, there are problems very disturbing when driving:

1) Shadows ahead of you dancing around all the time
2) The system switches down to low-beam in many occasions on which the other vehicles could apparently be well masked out
3) It also changes to low-beam as soon as there is some environmental illumination. In highway, you can expect to spend your whole travel with low-beam.
4) Penetration of high-beam is not so good for me. My previous bi-xenon were better.

Summing up, a total disappointment for me. You are not alone!!

Last edited by mdmd; Oct 16th, 2018 at 22:57.
mdmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mdmd For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 23:15   #12
Chief inspector
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
It seems few people agree with you, but I do. This Volvo headlight technology has been rather disappointing to me. It seems definitely rough and obsolete compared with Audi's MATRIX technology. And, as you say, there are problems very disturbing when driving:

2) The system switches down to low-beam in many occasions on which the other vehicles could apparently be well masked out
3) It also changes to low-beam as soon as there is some environmental illumination. In highway, you can expect to spend your whole travel with low-beam.
4) Penetration of high-beam is not so good for me. My previous bi-xenon were better.

I would agree with 1 to 3, it was my main reason fo getting the pro pack and to be honest the adaptive xenon on my 2012 E class which weren’t an option on the AMG Sport were better, they didn’t mask, but they kept the edges lit better consistently and had a corner lamp that actually pointed out the side of the headlight. Unless the road is arrow straight with one car ahead, they’re all over the place.

Main beam ....when its working.....is better than anything else Ive driven though so dont agree with 4 in my case.
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 00:17   #13
MaDProFF
Master Member

I took a photo, under exterior lights, Active High beam timing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0446.JPG (81.2 KB, 99 views)
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaDProFF For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 00:22   #14
MaDProFF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmd View Post

1) I find it amusing, like ww2 spot lights looking for planes
2) Sometimes I guess, or we are missing something
3) Yes this does happen but certainly not as bad as my last car.
4) as per my post you can never have enough light, but it is pretty good for me.

On my last car, there were times high beam would not come up when on high beam assist for no reason at all on a dark road, sometimes to the point I was going so fast it was dangerous, hence I used it manually all the time. it was like also you had to be doing 40 mph for high beam assist to come up, not good going down pitch black narrow lanes.
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 09:13   #15
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
I took a photo, under exterior lights, Active High beam timing
Thanks for that! Not that I need adjusting it but I’ve never noticed that setting..
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 09:35   #16
S90
IT Guru

It also doesn't seem consistent, sometimes it will work on dual carriageway/motorway, other times it will simply switch between high and low beams with no adaptation used?
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 10:31   #17
Fursty Ferret

It's designed that way. About about 5 minutes of driving at motorway speeds it switches to normal automatic high beam, presumably because it thinks there's no need for the full system.

I'm not entirely sure of the benefits - could be that the flashing effect is distracting to traffic a long way off on a motorway? Coming to a halt and moving off again resets it.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fursty Ferret For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 22:43   #18
S90
IT Guru

Interesting stuff. Just been reading an Audi forum regarding their system and it seems that although the Volvo is a little 'mechanical' in its operation, the Audi system is, whilst a higher resolution, results in drivers getting flashed a lot. Not once have I been flashed when using the adaptive mode!
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 22:51   #19
MaDProFF
Master Member

A friend of mine has had a new A class for about a month now, has intelligence light system on that, he says he gets flashed all the time, lights too high, he took the car back to Mercedes, they checked it and said nothing wrong 2 days later he gets a letter for a recall for the head lights being to high and cannot be adjusted etc.

Sounds about right for Mercedes tbh.
The Following User Says Thank You to MaDProFF For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 22:05   #20
scw

One week in on my new (to me) XC60 with the adaptive high beam and I've been flashed a grand total of twice during my morning 70 mile commutes (I'm out the house by 5.40am, a combination of A roads and dual carriageway). Both times were over twisty/hilly stretches of road where I could easily forgive the system for not spotting the oncoming cars in time.

Even this morning's mist proved no trouble.

Loving them already!

Steve