Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DPF diesels and oil dilution

Views : 2185

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2018, 12:38   #1
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Default DPF diesels and oil dilution

Someone please explain this !
Cars of any make with DPF (diesel particulate filter) often have problems with fuel diluting the engine oil. Obviously this can wreck the engine and scrap the car.
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 15:53   #2
Peter86
Pete

I am no expert but I would say in theory yes.
I would also say the cars more affected would be the ones doing a lot of short journeys with halted regens. The chance of this must be extremely rare as I've never heard of it happening, I would think as long as you service a car as per manufacture guidelines you shouldnt have a problem. I've heard of many cars finished before 100,000 due to bad maintenance but never through fuel contamination in the oil.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 18:09   #3
Baxlin
Old Rocker

We had this on Mrs B's Skoda Fabia (1.6 turbo VW Golf engine, apparently it’s well known on this engine), which was used for a lot of short journeys among, it has to be said, regular M-way runs. Peter86's suggestion of halted regens was spot on, at least this was given to us as the cause.

Fortunately an 'oil service required' message prompted further investigation, and a quick oil and filter change sorted it. FWIW, mileage was mid 60s, and it was 5 months since service had been carried out.

Another reason to regularly check the oil level - in this case for it being too high!

Last edited by Baxlin; Oct 17th, 2018 at 18:14.
Baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 18:38   #4
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxlin View Post
We had this on Mrs B's Skoda Fabia (1.6 turbo VW Golf engine, apparently it’s well known on this engine), which was used for a lot of short journeys among, it has to be said, regular M-way runs. Peter86's suggestion of halted regens was spot on, at least this was given to us as the cause.

Fortunately an 'oil service required' message prompted further investigation, and a quick oil and filter change sorted it. FWIW, mileage was mid 60s, and it was 5 months since service had been carried out.

Another reason to regularly check the oil level - in this case for it being too high!
Oh no, you can't do that Sir, you must faf about pressing buttons and get an iffy display on the dash.

My dash was happily telling me 100% oil level when it was barely over the min mark on the dipstick. Half a litre of 0-30 castrol edge later I was happy to tow 450 miles to Scotland.

I have never had the raising oil problem as car doesnot do a lot of short runs, use the euro 3 landrover for those , and never get anywhere near 18k miles between oil and filter change, normally about 10k.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 15:03   #5
anotherv60
Master Member

Basically don't use the oil that isn't approved by the manufacturer. Its a nice money spinner to use another grade of oil and make to tolerances wider in your engine, then you get more fuel being diluted into the oil and guess what it gets worse...part of the problem is that oil specifications and requirements are complicated!
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 15:14   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoid View Post
Someone please explain this !
Cars of any make with DPF (diesel particulate filter) often have problems with fuel diluting the engine oil. Obviously this can wreck the engine and scrap the car.
Petrol maybe , but diesel fuel is more like thin oil , Also remember with the engine running around 95 C + inside that the fuel evaporates off and leaves through the crankcase ventilation so it is continually cleansing itself . It has never been a problem causing damage with volvos . That doesn't mean fuel dilution isn't a problem with faulty or neglected systems …
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 19:39   #7
GrahamHR

I struggle to understand how unburnt diesel on the fuel side gets into the lubricating oil. It doesn't happen on petrol engines ( usually; a split diaphragm on a fuel pump led to increasing oil level in a Ford crossflow engine in a rally car I was asked to look at 40 years ago; that engine was super clean inside !).

My wife's 2012 Mazda 3 2.2 diesel with a dpf shows no such symptoms; @ 60,000 miles or thereabouts
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 21:42   #8
dingov70
Master Member

Earlier common rail diesels , forced regen of a dpf by injecting fuel into the exhaust stream & the heat caused that fuel to ignite & burn away any soot deposits in the dpf .

Because it happened on the exhaust stroke the injected dose did not burn & miniscule amounts of this fuel work their way past the piston rings . Result ?? increased lubricating oil level & decreased lubricity of the oil .

Later models now direct the required fuel dose directly downstream of the turbo to burn off deposits .

I have a huge dislike of modern oil change intervals , especially for diesels , ignore the makers opinions & change the oil far more often . It is very beneficial to your engine . Cheap oil changed 4 times a year carrying away all the dirt is better than expensive oil continually circulating its crud burdened & diluted load around your engine .

Oh and another side effect of rising oil levels in modern diesel engines is the runaway diesel , that treats the lube oil as extra fuel , revving to destruction as you are unlikely to stop them running .

I could go on & on & it feels like I have , Hope i have not

Last edited by dingov70; Oct 18th, 2018 at 22:43.
dingov70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 22:15   #9
Fantastic
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
... It has never been a problem causing damage with volvos …
Mmmm. Strange that. Seem to remember loads of long threads a few years ago (and a "sticky" which is still ongoing) regarding problems with rising oil levels, with some engine problems involved.
I may, of course, be mistaken 😕
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 22:41   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantastic View Post
Mmmm. Strange that. Seem to remember loads of long threads a few years ago (and a "sticky" which is still ongoing) regarding problems with rising oil levels, with some engine problems involved.
I may, of course, be mistaken 😕
generally this doesn't happen now , there was a problem over 10 years ago when they reduced the sump level to allow for problems but even then actual rising was not common .