Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 sunroof drains / seal

Views : 1542

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 29th, 2021, 12:39   #21
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyg View Post
This isn't glass it's metal but possibly the same applies. I've had the old seal off for cleaning and the support doesn't seem rusty thankfully. I've got a new seal on order via Trust Car Parts (former Braydon team) - it's coming in from Classic Volvo in Sweden. Going to check the car now as the storm yesterday was pretty impressive, I hope I don't find a lake....
I think in thart case, the seal is probably not important for stopping leaks. In the glass sunroof the seal is not at the bottom and water than leaks down the inside of the seal drips into an undrained area. I think in the metal sunroof the seal is at the bottom so its really only for an air/noise seal. and to stop water being blown around. Leaky metal sunroofs are usually blocked drains, but I have only seen a 360 metal sun roof apart.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2021, 19:57   #22
vickyg

My metal sunroof is the type that you can either open fully or tilt (electric). The seal would seem quite critical in stopping water getting in, as is the final resting position of the roof. If you don't raise it ever so slightly the water definitely flows in more! The old seal is quite thin/brittle and has shrunk quite a bit. I can but try. If it still leaks I'm putting a sheet of magnetic sign on the roof!
vickyg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vickyg For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 14:02   #23
TonyS9
Premier Member

Its extremely difficult to make a tilt and slide sunroof seal, this is why they have drains. Even a slight leak will lead to drips, which if they weren't drained would end up on your leg (as happens with the glass tilt and slide sunroof). The are almost entirely reliant on the drain channels.

Still for noise and general wind performance a new seal will probably help for a 25-30yo rubber item.

My point is that if water is making its way into the car then its either not dripping into the drain or the drain is blocked and overflowing. I am thinking that with the metal sun roof its not possible to drain into the wrong place, but I don't know the design. There is a small possibility that the seal gaps are wide enough to allow wind while driving to push the water around and into the car, but if it leaking stationary then its unlikely and you are looking at drain problems.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 10:38   #24
vickyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
Its extremely difficult to make a tilt and slide sunroof seal, this is why they have drains. Even a slight leak will lead to drips, which if they weren't drained would end up on your leg (as happens with the glass tilt and slide sunroof). The are almost entirely reliant on the drain channels.

Still for noise and general wind performance a new seal will probably help for a 25-30yo rubber item.

My point is that if water is making its way into the car then its either not dripping into the drain or the drain is blocked and overflowing. I am thinking that with the metal sun roof its not possible to drain into the wrong place, but I don't know the design. There is a small possibility that the seal gaps are wide enough to allow wind while driving to push the water around and into the car, but if it leaking stationary then its unlikely and you are looking at drain problems.
Front drains run clear so for now I park downhill as if the rear are blocked I have not been able to address or even find despite advise here. I note there are two "holes" on the edge of the body near the rear wheel arches so I suspect these are the "way out". I plan to push some stiff plastic strimmer line up them this weekend and see if that tells me anything. The new seal I think will be good anyway as when you slam the doors the sunroof currently visibly moves - more than it should as the seal really doesn't reach the sides anymore.
vickyg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vickyg For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 10:45   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyg View Post
Front drains run clear so for now I park downhill as if the rear are blocked I have not been able to address or even find despite advise here. I note there are two "holes" on the edge of the body near the rear wheel arches so I suspect these are the "way out". I plan to push some stiff plastic strimmer line up them this weekend and see if that tells me anything. The new seal I think will be good anyway as when you slam the doors the sunroof currently visibly moves - more than it should as the seal really doesn't reach the sides anymore.
If the sunroof visibly moves it shows the seal is doing something - it's air pressure lifting it. It will lift more when the seal is working as there won't be an "escape route" round the edges.

The strimmer line should work well, i've used it myself on a lot of things to clear blockages. Look out for low flying water as you do it though!

One good thing is that water, like electricity, takes the path of least resistance so if you find and clear some blockages, you should be ok after as long as there are no other leaks as previously discussed.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote