Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lost supply to 12v cabin sockets

Views : 757

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 20th, 2021, 10:45   #11
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireDave View Post
Swiss. Is there some kind of header with pins accessible then? Any idea if there's an image I can ref? Perhaps in Vida? Is it a plug reference? I have no idea!
Look at the connectors on the CEM.

Because you want pin 19, you need a connector with at least 19 pins

Because you want a purple wire, you need a connector with a purple wire on the 19th pin. Count them from left to right, or right to left, and if multi-row, maybe zigzagging down the rows.

You can rest assured that only one connector will exist with a purple wire on a pin that you can identify as pin 19.

That above will be enough to very quickly find it

Tip: you may wish to get the wiring diagram, which you can google for... and then download the PDf and keep it for the future...
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 17:14   #12
gmonag
Premier Member

It is fuse 11 on the REM (in the cargo area, on the left side behind the trim)
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 17:50   #13
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Not according to my handbook.

Cheers

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cargo Fuses.jpg (169.3 KB, 13 views)
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 19:52   #14
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonag View Post
It is fuse 11 on the REM (in the cargo area, on the left side behind the trim)
Not in any of the wiring diagrams I have (2004, 2007, 2009 MY). Not one shows fuse way 11 in the REM as being populated at all.

Fuse 8 in the REM feeds the cargo area (i.e. boot) 12v outlet. The front and rear passenger compartment outlets come from the CEM, as has been said.
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 20:17   #15
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Look at the connectors on the CEM.

Because you want pin 19, you need a connector with at least 19 pins

Because you want a purple wire, you need a connector with a purple wire on the 19th pin. Count them from left to right, or right to left, and if multi-row, maybe zigzagging down the rows.

You can rest assured that only one connector will exist with a purple wire on a pin that you can identify as pin 19.

That above will be enough to very quickly find it

Tip: you may wish to get the wiring diagram, which you can google for... and then download the PDfFand keep it for the future...
Thanks Swiss but now I'm even more confused...

Every bit of advice posted re working on the CEM says one should always disconnect the battery first. Now, seemingly, we are not only chucking that advice aside, but we seem to be advocating randomly pulling cables from it with the battery still connected!

Which is it? Is there not another way? I'm wondering whether I should simply install a relay off the ignition cct, cut the supply from the CEM and rewire so the two sockets run from it. I can't afford to screw my CEM up for sure...

all cars everywhere are a perpetual work in progress...
YorkshireDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 21:17   #16
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Is there not another way?
Yes. Not quite as definitive but good enough, given the simplistic nature of the circuit in question.

Disconnect the battery. Pull the plug from the 'A' connector, identify circuit A19 IN THE PLUG i.e. female side (see attached diagram).

1) Measure for good electrical continuity between the A19 female side and the centre pins of the 12v outlets
2) As Swiss has already said, ensure you've also got good continuity between the outlet shells and a known good ground point on the car

If you've both of those, and you're certain that fuse 11 is intact, then you can reasonably infer that you've no 12v supply from the CEM.

If you wanted to go all the way, while the plug is out of the socket on the CEM you'd check to ensure no continuity (i.e. no short) between live and ground on the outlets. But that's unlikely, given that you say the fuse is intact.
Attached Images
File Type: png CEM_pinout.png (85.0 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Moose Test; Sep 20th, 2021 at 21:22.
Moose Test is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moose Test For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 21:41   #17
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Swiss but now I'm even more confused...

Every bit of advice posted re working on the CEM says one should always disconnect the battery first. Now, seemingly, we are not only chucking that advice aside, but we seem to be advocating randomly pulling cables from it with the battery still connected!

Which is it? Is there not another way? I'm wondering whether I should simply install a relay off the ignition cct, cut the supply from the CEM and rewire so the two sockets run from it. I can't afford to screw my CEM up for sure...
I never once suggest randomly disconnecting anything.

Of course, if you have insufficient physical access to your CEM to observe the connectors or to connect a multimeter to the pins then you will need to take all necessary precautions with whatever you do.

I have worked on lots and lots of cars and always managed to get my multimeter onto the pins of a connector. Sometimes with a stick-in pin, sometimes with a bit of stiff wire, sometimes just with the multimeter probe.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 15:32   #18
gmonag
Premier Member

You are correct - senile moment!
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 17:11   #19
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonag View Post
You are correct - senile moment!
Join the club

all cars everywhere are a perpetual work in progress...
YorkshireDave is offline   Reply With Quote