Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide: Replacing the boot wiring harness

Views : 41547

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2020, 13:06   #41
Zingster

Is there any way I can do this with the boot closed?I have a v50 and the boot will not open. I have purchased a wiring harness but I cannot access the spot where I would link it up as the boot is closed!
Zingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 10:28   #42
HelPat

Thumbs up S40 - locked boot and plate light issue

Many thanks - was so grateful to find this and will let the mechanic know. This is exactly what has happened to my S40. It’ll be a bit of a trial going in through the rear seats for him but at least we now know what is involved.
HelPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 12:33   #43
FKO

Thumbs up S40 Boot open dashboard info

Thanks for this, although it really doesn't mean anything, the dash info really got on my nerves the last couple of days :P

Really good guide, got my harness out, soldered some connections, added some shrink sleeves and new tape.
Good thing I did this now because when I took the harness out I noticed even more wires that were broken and somewhere the insulation was really bad.
FKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2021, 19:00   #44
SavemyS40

Default Boot wont open

Hey, great guide and looking to repair mine, but I cannot figure out how to get
the boot open, I have spent hours in the boot with a torch but cant figure out how I can get the plastic surrounds off with the boot closed can anyone help????
SavemyS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 20:19   #45
homer timpson

Default Guide: Replacing the boot wiring harness

7 years on and I'm resurrecting the thread - my repair has given up the ghost - time for a new loom

My boot will not open so I've ordered a new loom, but will have to clamber in via the rear to open it this time!!

I found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuNSwKSXrvY - the owner broke the lock when he forced it open .
He subsequently posted an update - about 2 minutes in, showing how he thinks it should have been done.

I'll follow his guide and see if I can get it done without breaking the lock cover.

Homer
homer timpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 15:49   #46
homer timpson

Default Disaster

Followed the video, got the cover off and one of the size 30 Torx screws - I stripped the other trying to get it undone ... what a plonker

Now I have the new part and currently re-reading the thread to see what my other options are!!

Homer
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 18:40   #47
homer timpson

Default Finally done it.

Ok, I did it - eventually - bit more involved as a result of stripping the screw!!.

I removed the entire 'parcel shelf' lining to expose the interior connection . (Loom 1)

I connected the cable to the rear of the lock (Loom 2)
You can see the stripped screw on the bottom right which, had I not stripped it, I would have saved myself a lot of time!!

I removed the 4 Torx screws holding the number plate light and boot release switch (Loom 3).

Hey presto - the boot opened without the need to remove the lock assembly. I checked it worked before passing the old cable through and unclipping it.
I then disconnected the new cable and passed it through properly and clipped it all into position.

Reassembled all the interior and double checked it again.

Finally completed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Loom 1 small.jpg (374.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Loom 2 small.jpg (323.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Loom 3 small.jpg (356.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Loom 4 small.jpg (319.8 KB, 22 views)
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 09:32   #48
AdrianST

Default Wires correspondence on S40 trunk

Hi,
I run into the same problem with the trunk wires in a S40 from 2011. I would like to try to fix the problem myself, only that all the wires are black , I have no idea which one, where it comes from.

I have attached a picture with the three connectors and I would need help if anyone knows the order / correspondence of the 6 wires from the main connector (the 6-wire) to the other two (respectively the connector on the lock (the 4-wire) and the connector from the button (the one with 3 threads)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (189.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg SN.jpg (109.7 KB, 17 views)
AdrianST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2022, 17:48   #49
hodgey1956

Default Boot wiring harness

thanks for guide .brilliant just replaced the harness in our 2005 S40 1.8s .the earth wire was broken in the rubber sheath .thanks again for the guide.
hodgey1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 03:54   #50
tassaj
tassaj

Default Brilliant Description

Like so many, my daughter's 2007 S40 had problems with her unable to unlock the boot intermittently, as well as the annoying "Boot Lid Open" warning when she had the lights on. Due to the relatively high cost and delivery time to get a new loom from Europe (to Australia) I had a crack at repair. In short I was able to repair without removing the loom by unplugging the harness from the boot, popping several clips and then wrangling the boot end of the harness back through entrance hole. To access the wires, I cut the flexible piece of rubber away, carefully using a Stanley knife, thus exposing the broken wire. Only one wire was fully broken so I resoldered it and another almost broken and then sealed both of these with heat shrink. Finally I wrapped the entire loom with electrical tape. Once I set everything back in place, I taped the grommet ends to the newly wrapped loom. It all works swimmingly although I can see that the loom has bending tension when the lid closes. Hopefully it's good for another 15 years or so. Total time about 2 1/2 hours. Cheers.
tassaj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boot lid, s40