Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 Buying advice - any tips?

Views : 13569

Replies : 190

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2021, 12:04   #51
TimS996

I'm really surprised myself, that it was a convertible and heated seats were the option. Also remember paying VW £1500 for the same option in 2006 for heated seats on a Passat, which was essential but close to robbery.

The bodywork doesn't have to be mint, just reasonable, the same for the inside as I can tidy bits up as I go to some extent. However swapping a headlight, rear light, bumper repair and towing eye was too much on the first one.

I'll see what I can get to this week. Have a few weeks to find a car.
Planning on testdriving this one next week..https://www.motors.co.uk/car-59728772/?i=2&m=srfb

Seller has shown a FSH, last keeper for 10 years. He said that the car is OK but would probably consider respraying the front wing/bumper as it was done a few years ago and shows up as a poor job.
However car is priced right, has the Winter Pack and and Aux so I guess I can attach a BT dongle or similar.

Last edited by TimS996; Aug 1st, 2021 at 13:49.
TimS996 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TimS996 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 14:29   #52
Willber G
Upstanding Member

It's a shame the first two weren't up to scratch but at least you've got a better idea of what you want.

The one above looks good but check the cambelt has been done.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 16:03   #53
Willber G
Upstanding Member

Here's another that isn't too far from Manchester:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...02105062297812
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 22:28   #54
eagle58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS996 View Post
I'm really surprised myself, that it was a convertible and heated seats were the option. Also remember paying VW £1500 for the same option in 2006 for heated seats on a Passat, which was essential but close to robbery.

The bodywork doesn't have to be mint, just reasonable, the same for the inside as I can tidy bits up as I go to some extent. However swapping a headlight, rear light, bumper repair and towing eye was too much on the first one.

I'll see what I can get to this week. Have a few weeks to find a car.
Planning on testdriving this one next week..https://www.motors.co.uk/car-59728772/?i=2&m=srfb

Seller has shown a FSH, last keeper for 10 years. He said that the car is OK but would probably consider respraying the front wing/bumper as it was done a few years ago and shows up as a poor job.
However car is priced right, has the Winter Pack and and Aux so I guess I can attach a BT dongle or similar.
I took a bit of a gamble buying mine sight unseen during the pandemic and while I think I overpaid at £3500 for a 2008 with 99k, I'm happy.

I had to fix a few issues and had the cambelt service hit but I always viewed it as a long term toy/project.

The weather is so crap at the moment that it's probably helping to keep the prices low.

A future classic imho.
eagle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 23:19   #55
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

I reckon mine is probably worth c50% more than I paid at the start of lockdown, just before prices went northwards, which is nice.
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 18:12   #56
TimS996

Looked at the other blue SE today
https://www.motors.co.uk/car-59728772/?i=2&m=srfb

Interior was better with only a little wear to the drivers seat, which would clean up ok. Paintwork was Ok for a car that has done 110k but drivers wing needs a respray as it has been done before and is blistered. Rear bumper has the usual parking damage but nothing that a full machine polish would not improve, I think with the wing done (£350 from my local bodyshop) that it would look fine.

Roof worked ok, bit of a squeak when it opened but down to it not being used for a while I think, and in need of some silicone spray along the edges. boot was dry and couldn't see any evidence of leaks in the sides. Compressor still there and windbreak.
Electrics in the car seemed ok, all windows, aircon worked. Radio sounded good - I've no idea which model it is but it said 'High performance or High power when turned on and had a 6 disc changer. Is this the basic model?

2.5 D5 engine pulled ok but noisy from cold. This improved when it was up to temp, it was a lot quieter. Confirmed that it needed a belt but had recently had the gearbox oil changed. So £350 for the belt from a local indy. Assume with wear and age it may also need bushes doing as well.
Engine bay was missing the engine cover and looked quite sandy/gritty as well. All 4 tyres just road legal but in need of replacement so thats another £350.

Has the potential to be a nice car as the 2nd owner had it for 10 years, used it and serviced it. Needs a bit of TLC but providing there are no surprises in the engine, then it could be sound for another 20-30k.

Only odd thing was the drivers door was slightly out of line and didn't pull all the way in flush with the body when closed. Do the doors drop on these or is it likely just to need the latch mech adjusting?

Thinking it could be worth a low offer to cover the cost of the tyres, cambelt, paint and unknowns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210802_112224a.jpg (162.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20210802_114838a.jpg (322.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20210802_114332a.jpg (267.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20210802_114335a.jpg (389.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Interior RXY.jpg (184.4 KB, 20 views)
TimS996 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TimS996 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 18:28   #57
eagle58

Looks pretty tidy and the price is good.

Sometimes you have to just take a punt because you're only alive once!
eagle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eagle58 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 18:52   #58
Willber G
Upstanding Member

I agree with eagle, nothing untoward for this age and mileage, and the gearbox fluid change is an indication that it's been looked after mechanically.

Good idea to service the roof although people differ on what is best to use - there are threads about it.

The seats look OK to me. Mine had minor cracks and blemishes but this brought them up to scratch(!) nicely. Don't use too much, it goes a long way:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260898316042

The radio is the High Performance one (the middle of three). Mine sounds good.

The wind deflector is worth having. Although it is not a genuine Volvo one that folds into quarters and fits in the boot, it is worth about £150.

No idea about the door, perhaps it can be adjusted.

Get it tidied up and it will be good for another 100k miles.

Go for it, the summer is running out!

Last edited by Willber G; Aug 2nd, 2021 at 18:56.
Willber G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 19:09   #59
Simmy
Premier Member

if you go for this one cam belt pulley and aux belt /tensioners is a priority a broken belt can finish a d5 engine . is the bad fit door on the same side as the badly painted wing if it is check under the car for any sign of accident damage dont think there is any hinge adjustment only on the latch.
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 19:13   #60
Willber G
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
if you go for this one cam belt pulley and aux belt /tensioners is a priority a broken belt can finish a d5 engine.
Agreed.