Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2026697

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 20th, 2020, 12:14   #1511
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I thought that was how it was done Alan, must be about 40 years since i discovered that so i think i did well to remember it, especially as a non-biker!

You could add a very simple changeover switch for the charging/bright lights and if you used the right bullet connectors, could make it a reversible mod as well. Also if you found the right LED headlamp bulb, you could leave it set at better charging as the lighting circuit wouldn't need as much current but still be considerably brighter than it is now.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/col...onversion-5-9v

Current draw on that one is 1.2A, not sure what you have now (45/40W maybe?) but guessing about 7A draw so you'd gain 6A (at a guess) which could be used for charging the battery and brighter lights as well - win-win situation! Entirely reversible too if you ever wanted to show it as it left the factory.
Thanks Dave,

I wish finding a replacement headlamp bulb was so simple. The type fitted is obsolete, still available here and there:

https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-b100p_m.../#.XxV7ep5KjIU

I've tried all sorts to make H4 and similar bulbs fit with no success.

:-(
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 12:17   #1512
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
The Bloop is positively sophisticated compared to my last two bikes, Alan. Until recently, I ran a brace of Raleigh mopeds, '63 RM4 and a '65 RM6 (the original 'Runabout').

They were innocent of batteries, brake lights and indicators. There were just two coils, LT ignition (there was an external HT coil) and lighting, which powered the 15 W headlamp and 3 W tail lamp (little more than bike lights really).

There was an electric buzzer, which, when sounded, almost completely extinguished the lights should they be switched on. Even switching them on at tick-over, especially with a cold engine, often resulted in a stall. Many riders replaced the ineffectual buzzer with a bulb horn - as a motor vehicle, a horn was a legal requirement; a bicycle bell simply would not do!

These were your true 'ride to work' machines, against which the 'Bloop' was positively luxurious. I, and many others, did ride them to work in all weathers; the machines that I had more recently were strictly 'hobby' machines, ridden purely for pleasure and only when the sun shone.

Regards, John.
Hi John,

I recall riding similar (NSU Quickly, Puch and similar) mopeds and small bikes around farmers' fields as a boy (life was a bit simpler in those days). They were good bikes to learn a bit of riding and spannering on because they were so simple (and cheap).

In comparison the Bloop was more or less a proper bike :-)
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 12:48   #1513
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I think my first 'proper' bike was an ex GPO BSA Bantam, Alan. Predating the Bloop by at least 20 years, it had approximately half of the power from a similar capacity engine. That is why the Japanese decimated the British motorcycle industry in the sixties. We failed to heed the warning and allowed them to do the same with our cars in the seventies.

The Raleigh had a 1.4 BHP engine and was regularly overtaken by energetic cyclists. There was a chap in the club who, by clever machining, made a 150 'across the frame' triple out of three engines. I think that the machine still exists; apparently it was a handful to ride, but did it fly!

Just out of interest, I've had a rootle in the bowels of my computer and the attached photograph shows my RM6 shortly before I sold it!

Regards, John.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00110 - Resized.JPG (40.5 KB, 6 views)
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 12:51   #1514
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Thanks Dave,

I wish finding a replacement headlamp bulb was so simple. The type fitted is obsolete, still available here and there:

https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-b100p_m.../#.XxV7ep5KjIU

I've tried all sorts to make H4 and similar bulbs fit with no success.

http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/page6.html

About halfway down that page Alan, 16 LED APF (American Pre-Focus) bulbs.

However, if you look at this page, they have them in stock (allegedly) and are part of their "Double Dipper" (oooooo-errrrr missus! ) range, £28 for the APF LED headlight bulb for your Bloop.

http://www.dynamoregulatorconversion...ycles-shop.php

Hopefully that should light up your life!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 13:14   #1515
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/page6.html

About halfway down that page Alan, 16 LED APF (American Pre-Focus) bulbs.

However, if you look at this page, they have them in stock (allegedly) and are part of their "Double Dipper" (oooooo-errrrr missus! ) range, £28 for the APF LED headlight bulb for your Bloop.

http://www.dynamoregulatorconversion...ycles-shop.php

Hopefully that should light up your life!
Well done Dave!

I'm fairly sure the original bulb is STANLEY P15d-3 (I'll pull it out after Bob's walk to confirm). £28 is a bit pricey, but saying that it would probably cost me a tenner for a replacement Stanley incandescent bulb if the fitted one failed.

It would be nice to have a brighter headlamp, and if that worked okay I'd probably change the other bulbs on the bike to LEDs and reduce the power consumption to next to nothing.

Alan
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 13:35   #1516
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I think my first 'proper' bike was an ex GPO BSA Bantam, Alan. Predating the Bloop by at least 20 years, it had approximately half of the power from a similar capacity engine. That is why the Japanese decimated the British motorcycle industry in the sixties. We failed to heed the warning and allowed them to do the same with our cars in the seventies.

The Raleigh had a 1.4 BHP engine and was regularly overtaken by energetic cyclists. There was a chap in the club who, by clever machining, made a 150 'across the frame' triple out of three engines. I think that the machine still exists; apparently it was a handful to ride, but did it fly!

Just out of interest, I've had a rootle in the bowels of my computer and the attached photograph shows my RM6 shortly before I sold it!

Regards, John.
I had several Bantams John (well, 4 or 5 I should think, some in boxes though). They were okay bikes - a direct copy of a pre-war DKW that a number of manufacturers on the winning side legally aped.

It was pretty crude compared with the Suzuki - petroil mix, only a 3 speed gearbox, non-folding kick start lever (always dug into the back of one's right leg), pressed steel levers, even more crude electrics and lights. I think production of the Bantam carried on until 1971, but to be candid it was already out of date by the time the Bloop arrived in 1966 (BSA hadn't changed it much in 20 years apart from boring it out from 125cc in stages to 175cc).

You are right - and it is so irritating (as a patriot) that we Brits thought we could get away with making 30 year old designs in the 1960s, and we got taught a lesson (which it took us a very long time to learn - hence the same happening in the car industry) by the Japanese.

Anyway, it is such a pity we couldn't have got our act together and made something like the Bloop (actually mine is a B120P, but Bloop sounds much better), or C50/70/90 or CB250/350/500/750 ... or any number of really good Japanese bikes (and cars) from the 60s, 70s... right up to ...today.

Only the other day I was advocating us not throwing things away so much - but perhaps I draw the line as 1930s designed mororcycles still being built and sold as new in 1971 :-)

PS. The Raleigh is cute.

Last edited by Othen; Jul 20th, 2020 at 14:05. Reason: Spelling error.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 14:19   #1517
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Well done Dave!

I'm fairly sure the original bulb is STANLEY P15d-3 (I'll pull it out after Bob's walk to confirm). £28 is a bit pricey, but saying that it would probably cost me a tenner for a replacement Stanley incandescent bulb if the fitted one failed.

It would be nice to have a brighter headlamp, and if that worked okay I'd probably change the other bulbs on the bike to LEDs and reduce the power consumption to next to nothing.

Alan
Same price, same listing Alan, just change your choice in the drop-down box. However the one you linked ot has the "keyhole slots" which makes it the APF type as the Stanley doesn't appear to have those, just notches round the edge.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 16:45   #1518
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Same price, same listing Alan, just change your choice in the drop-down box. However the one you linked ot has the "keyhole slots" which makes it the APF type as the Stanley doesn't appear to have those, just notches round the edge.
Here is the current bulb Dave:

... it is a Stanley A7007, the LED in the link says that is an A7025. Are they the same? Here is the base:

Which looks the same as the LED in the link.

The 7007 is here:

https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gp100-1.../#.XxW8B55KjIU

What do you think? A7007 and A7025 the same?

Here is the P15D-25-3 from the Ring automotive bulb chart:

I'm pretty sure both the Stanley A7007 and A7025 have the same base, which is probably all that matters in this context (the LED will rin on 6-12v).

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jul 20th, 2020 at 17:09.
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 20:37   #1519
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

I'm pretty sure both the Stanley A7007 and A7025 have the same base, which is probably all that matters in this context (the LED will rin on 6-12v).

Alan
Errrrrrrr, yeah................ but no........................but yeah...............but!

They're the same but different! The A7007 is 25/25W on the same base as the A7025 which is 35/25W - 35W dipped beam and 25W main. If the LED version is of the 7025 and has a brighter dipped beam than main beam, it's even better. You know how you get the "bleaching" on dipped beam but not on main on your car? Same goes on the bikes so a higher power dipped beam gets round that.

Going to do a disclaimer here, as far as i can ascertain the 7025 and 7007 share the same base, envelope and filament positions but it would pay to check that the seller will accept them back if it's not right. Chances are that as they sell them, they can confirm fitment so an email might be a good starting point.

Old Jul 21st, 2020, 07:14   #1520
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Errrrrrrr, yeah................ but no........................but yeah...............but!

They're the same but different! The A7007 is 25/25W on the same base as the A7025 which is 35/25W - 35W dipped beam and 25W main. If the LED version is of the 7025 and has a brighter dipped beam than main beam, it's even better. You know how you get the "bleaching" on dipped beam but not on main on your car? Same goes on the bikes so a higher power dipped beam gets round that.

Going to do a disclaimer here, as far as i can ascertain the 7025 and 7007 share the same base, envelope and filament positions but it would pay to check that the seller will accept them back if it's not right. Chances are that as they sell them, they can confirm fitment so an email might be a good starting point.
Roger.

Many thanks for the info.