Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2026969

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2021, 13:05   #2491
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Now this is interesting, an AW71L gearbox for sale on eBay for £390:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133036820...53.m1438.l2649

... and that doesn't even have the torque convertor - to its credit though it does include delivery (which I suppose might be £50 for a half-pallet).
Considering the TC contains the lock-up clutch i'd consider it an integral part of the gearbox and if the gearbox is being replaced due to coolant contamination, the TC would need replacing too (as well as the radiator!) so it's only "half a job" and not worth the money IMHO that they are asking.

I've seen several other items from the same seller, not sure i'd buy any of them to be honest.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 13:56   #2492
360beast
Go redblock or go home

You can give me some more money if you want Alan

Glad you're getting stuck in with it.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 16:14   #2493
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
You can give me some more money if you want Alan

Glad you're getting stuck in with it.
I have a feeling I've seem that one before and it has been on sale forever!

:-)
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 19:21   #2494
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Come on Alan you're keeping me in suspense here, looking forward to the next update!
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 19:32   #2495
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Come on Alan you're keeping me in suspense here, looking forward to the next update!
We all are Luke but i have a sneaking suspicion that Alan wants to take his time with this one, consider all his options and possibly do more upgrades at the same time and then do everything in one hit, building up the parts he needs over the coming months.

Then, come next spring he will unleash an upgrade-athon onto us!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 19:55   #2496
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
We all are Luke but i have a sneaking suspicion that Alan wants to take his time with this one, consider all his options and possibly do more upgrades at the same time and then do everything in one hit, building up the parts he needs over the coming months.

Then, come next spring he will unleash an upgrade-athon onto us!
Yes indeed Dave, My plan in to use this year to solve the engineering issues I’ve identified, then do the work (and i think a rings and shells refresh on the motor) next spring.

In the meantime I suspect there will be a few tweaks to keep the thread ticking over Luke :-)
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 20:07   #2497
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes indeed Dave, My plan in to use this year to solve the engineering issues I’ve identified, then do the work (and i think a rings and shells refresh on the motor) next spring.

In the meantime I suspect there will be a few tweaks to keep the thread ticking over Luke :-)
... a few little jobs I’m thinking of over the summer:

- either polish or paint the cam box cover - as we discussed a while ago.
- paint the exhaust manifold with some of that nice high temperature aerosol we discussed previously Luke (maybe on your thread I think).
- rear wheel arch plastic liners.
- vinyl roof - I’m still mulling this one over.
- suspension bushes (as is often the case with the RB, there isn’t anything I know of wrong, but that has never stopped me making subtle improvements).

Watch this space :-)

Last edited by Othen; Apr 30th, 2021 at 20:13.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 23:06   #2498
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
... a few little jobs I’m thinking of over the summer:

- either polish or paint the cam box cover - as we discussed a while ago.
- paint the exhaust manifold with some of that nice high temperature aerosol we discussed previously Luke (maybe on your thread I think).
- rear wheel arch plastic liners.
- vinyl roof - I’m still mulling this one over.
- suspension bushes (as is often the case with the RB, there isn’t anything I know of wrong, but that has never stopped me making subtle improvements).

Watch this space :-)
I think the cam cover would be nice painted in black crackle VHT paint with the letters sanded back after then polished to a mirror finish then lacquer with VHT clear lacquer. Almost original but with a nod to a slight update.

Exhaust manifold would be nice in silver, note the VHT paint tends to go grey, even when not exposed to heat (maybe the heat will make it more silver?) but it's a nice, silvery-grey.

Will you be painting the block red again too?

Rear wheel arch liners - great idea, what about the front ones as well?

Vinyl roof

Polyurethane bushes would be a good, longevity based upgrade, if you go for the "comfort" ones they're usualy a Shore Hardness of A65 (the A should have a tiny circle above it - Angstrom i think it stands for) that is the usual comfort one and 85-90 is the "sports" firmer versions. Pour your own maybe?

Lots of small, easily done stuff that you can get in place ready for the big day!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2021, 06:42   #2499
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I think the cam cover would be nice painted in black crackle VHT paint with the letters sanded back after then polished to a mirror finish then lacquer with VHT clear lacquer. Almost original but with a nod to a slight update.

Exhaust manifold would be nice in silver, note the VHT paint tends to go grey, even when not exposed to heat (maybe the heat will make it more silver?) but it's a nice, silvery-grey.

Will you be painting the block red again too?

Rear wheel arch liners - great idea, what about the front ones as well?

Vinyl roof

Polyurethane bushes would be a good, longevity based upgrade, if you go for the "comfort" ones they're usualy a Shore Hardness of A65 (the A should have a tiny circle above it - Angstrom i think it stands for) that is the usual comfort one and 85-90 is the "sports" firmer versions. Pour your own maybe?

Lots of small, easily done stuff that you can get in place ready for the big day!
Many thanks Dave,

The two painting jobs were much as we (and Luke) had discussed previously, although I hadn't decided on colours yet. They will be a job for a dry week in the summer - both easy jobs that will smarten up the motor.

It would make sense to paint the red block and sump when I pull the engine out for the bottom end refresh. I'm thinking it will be out for about a week some time - probably next spring (subject to a hospital visit as you know).

The front wheel arches already have excellent plastic liners, that look as if they have been on the car from new, so either they came as standard or the first owner had them fitted as an extra.

I do like the idea of the vinyl roof, but as you remember I re-painted the roof and boot lid last year (rattle cans) in the original Cyprus metallic green and they both came out very well. The original problem has therefore gone away. I'll revisit the vinyl roof question in the next week or so - from memory I'd found a contractor in Milton Keynes (about 40 miles away) that could do the work - watch this space.

The suspension all seems fine - but I do mean to get underneath with a pry bar to see if anything could do with improving - and perhaps use the polyurethane type bushes anywhere I think might benefit. There is nothing actually wrong (apart from the odd mouse that comes and goes) so I don't want to make a big thing about it, but that might make a good day's work during the summer and be good for the RB's longevity.

There will always be something to do with the RB - the car that keeps giving :-)

Last edited by Othen; May 1st, 2021 at 06:44.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2021, 07:04   #2500
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orig-Whee...g/372707852745

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OE-Wheel-...g/352713684331

They might be of interest Alan, would probably need minor modification but given a lot of 240 series was used on the 7xx either as it was or in a modified form, there's a good chance any mods would be minimal.
This was a suggestion of yours that I might pursue Dave. I recall finding a company (in Germany I think) that could provide plastic liners for a 240 - but they were quite expensive. It might be more in keeping with the RB's ethos to obtain a set of rear wheel arch liners from a 740, 940, 960 or V90 (second hand from a scrapper) cheaply and then make them fit. Anything with about the right curvature would probably be okay.

I'm thinking that if I found a pair for about £20 in the UK it would be worth a gamble.

Alan