Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2026487

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2021, 16:31   #2551
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Congrats on the "officialdom" Alan!

I've often wondered if V5s for Historic class vehicles were printed on a "historic looking paper" but it seems not!

The DVLA are missing a trick there, they could give the option to have it printed on something resembling parchment for a small fee or you could make an unofficial one by scanning then printing using whichever filter (sepia?) gives the impression of age just for the fun of it (obviously not for official use though) as an addition to the RBs history.
Or soak it in cold tea!

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2021, 18:52   #2552
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
So what's the story, Alan. Is it a modern interpretation of a WW2 classic, a military version of a production machine (like the infamous BSA B31?), a special, or a machine that you had in your youth?? I'm very much out of touch with the biking world these days, but I can still appreciate a fine looking machine when I see one!

Regards, John.

PS. A man cannot have too many toys! J.
Well John, it is a limited edition (only 1000 worldwide, 180 in the UK) that Royal Enfield produced in 2018. They sold out in a few hours (the original price was £4995 + OTR) - they sell for more than that now!

This bike isn't really a copy of anything, in Royal Enfield's own words: "This is a limited number run done by Enfield inspired by the "Flying Flea" 125cc motorcycle during the second world war" - it is however a fine looking machine, and something of a homage to Airborne Forces (I was in the Airborne in my Army service). One of the chaps that worked for me 35 years ago bought one and sent me a photo - I've been looking out for one since then, and another mate from the paras found this one advertised - so I made an offer and bought it this morn.

I don't need another bike (I have a Triumph, a CCM and a Suzuki already), but this one is just so cool. I'll certainly use it for Ride To the Wall (RTTW) - usually in October, and maybe a few other days per year.

At the end of the day it is just a really cool looking bike with a few Airborne Forces stickers - and a chap can never have enough guns or motorcycles.

Last edited by Othen; May 15th, 2021 at 18:53. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2021, 20:13   #2553
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
This bike isn't really a copy of anything, in Royal Enfield's own words: "This is a limited number run done by Enfield inspired by the "Flying Flea" 125cc motorcycle during the second world war" -
I thought it reminded me of something i'd seen on TV at some point - if memory serves it was in two programs, Pawn Stars and American Restoration - bought by the pawn shop and restored by Ricks Restorations for them.

Apparently these bikes were thrown out of aircraft with a parachute and were sturdy enough to survive the landing so GI Joe and/or his UK counterpart could ride off into the sunset and perform espionage on the German installations. Or something like that!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2021, 20:57   #2554
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I thought it reminded me of something i'd seen on TV at some point - if memory serves it was in two programs, Pawn Stars and American Restoration - bought by the pawn shop and restored by Ricks Restorations for them.

Apparently these bikes were thrown out of aircraft with a parachute and were sturdy enough to survive the landing so GI Joe and/or his UK counterpart could ride off into the sunset and perform espionage on the German installations. Or something like that!
Well sort of Dave. The one that was parachuted during WW2 was the Welbike, see this link here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welbike

... I remember seeing a few of them (which had no value at the time) when I was a boy, and again in the Airborne Forces museum. It was a small, light bike with a 100cc (I think) Villiers 2 stroke engine and no gears. It was light enough to land by parachute - if one tried to throw the 500cc Royal Enfield out of an aircraft on a parachute it would land fast enough to dig itself a 6' deep hole!
Old May 15th, 2021, 21:08   #2555
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I think there might be a slight confusion there, Alan. Wasn't the Wellbike the forerunner of the Brookhouse Corgi, which was a small wheeled machine powered by a Villiers 98cc engine? I seem to recall my primary school teacher having an ex WD one in the '50s. In contrast, the RE Flying Flea was a much more conventional motorcycle, powered, as you said, by a 125cc motor.

Regards, John
Old May 15th, 2021, 21:11   #2556
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Sorry, wrote that not having seen your reply to 'L.S.'. J.
Old May 15th, 2021, 21:12   #2557
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Well sort of Dave. The one that was parachuted during WW2 was the Welbike, see this link here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welbike

... I remember seeing a few of them (which had no value at the time) when I was a boy, and again in the Airborne Forces museum. It was a small, light bike with a 100cc (I think) Villiers 2 stroke engine and no gears. It was light enough to land by parachute - if one tried to throw the 500cc Royal Enfield out of an aircraft on a parachute it would land fast enough to dig itself a 6' deep hole!
Thanks Alan, i've seen examples of both (on the same programs) and now you've referred me to the Wiki link, i can see it's different to the "Flying Flea" i was first thinking of.

Who would have thught though that 70+ years on, these things would become not just sought after but almost revered for their roles?

*** EDIT *** Just to add, i've also seen one of those Corgis on Find It, Fix It, Flog It plus many other strange things!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; May 15th, 2021 at 21:16.
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2021, 21:14   #2558
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I think there might be a slight confusion there, Alan. Wasn't the Wellbike the forerunner of the Brookhouse Corgi, which was a small wheeled machine powered by a Villiers 98cc engine? I seem to recall my primary school teacher having an ex WD one in the '50s. In contrast, the RE Flying Flea was a much more conventional motorcycle, powered, as you said, by a 125cc motor.

Regards, John
You may well be right John, I'm no expert on these matters. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't a few manufacturers that made parachutable bikes for the war effort. What I am sure of is that no one ever parachuted a 500cc Royal Enfield weighing over 400 lbs!

:-)
Old May 15th, 2021, 21:19   #2559
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Alan, i've seen examples of both (on the same programs) and now you've referred me to the Wiki link, i can see it's different to the "Flying Flea" i was first thinking of.

Who would have thught though that 70+ years on, these things would become not just sought after but almost revered for their roles?
Absolutely Dave - in the 60s these things had no value - only 20 years after WW2 there was military surplus everywhere and one could have probably bought a Welbike/Corgi/Flying Flea for a few pounds (if not just picked up one for free). Now here is one for sale with bids up to $11,250:

https://www.bike-urious.com/ending-s...liers-welbike/

... who would have thought.
Old May 16th, 2021, 09:06   #2560
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Parachutes have moved on a bit since WWII, as Lightweight Land Rovers were air-dropped from Lockheed C130 Hercules. If the chutes failed to open said Landy became lozenge-shaped and crabbed a bit!

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post: