Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Question on car safety

Views : 1153

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 16th, 2018, 13:41   #1
oragex
Premier Member

Default Question on car safety

As well all know, the P2 cars have the main battery located inside the trunk, basically just behind the rear bumper. How safe is this if the car is rear ended in a more severe crash? Could the battery catch fire?
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 14:11   #2
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

That's an interesting point, and one that came immediately to mind when I first saw the P2 battery location. One would imagine some sort of failsafe strong zone around the battery box could be implemented, although not sure how effective it would be as it's so close to the rear crossmember & surely the crumple zone would be compromised in this case too?

Having said that, some of the salvage rebuild channels I watch on Youtube have shown a fair few nasty impacts where the battery has been crushed/broken on various cars & it hasn't resulted in a fire. I think when the battery gets smashed it tends to leak all it's electrolyte fairly quickly and the plates within become less capable of producing power/heat even if they're mushed together somewhat.

I think technically yes, an electrical fire *could* result from a rear impact to a P2 car but the chances probably are not significantly higher than a similar impact to any other car with different battery locations. Certainly interested to hear other's opinions and/or experiences around crushed batteries though.
ma70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 22:01   #3
bgarston

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma70 View Post
That's an interesting point, and one that came immediately to mind when I first saw the P2 battery location. One would imagine some sort of failsafe strong zone around the battery box could be implemented, although not sure how effective it would be as it's so close to the rear crossmember & surely the crumple zone would be compromised in this case too?

Having said that, some of the salvage rebuild channels I watch on Youtube have shown a fair few nasty impacts where the battery has been crushed/broken on various cars & it hasn't resulted in a fire. I think when the battery gets smashed it tends to leak all it's electrolyte fairly quickly and the plates within become less capable of producing power/heat even if they're mushed together somewhat.

I think technically yes, an electrical fire *could* result from a rear impact to a P2 car but the chances probably are not significantly higher than a similar impact to any other car with different battery locations. Certainly interested to hear other's opinions and/or experiences around crushed batteries though.
Hmm, Interesting, but think you could be right....The battery in my 940 is right at the front near side corner of the car and I remember (I think) my dads 1988 740 had it's battery at the front offside corner.

1996 Volvo 940 CD 2.3 LPT (His) & 2003 Volvo V70 SE D5 (Hers....until it goes wrong!)
bgarston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 19:14   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
As well all know, the P2 cars have the main battery located inside the trunk, basically just behind the rear bumper. How safe is this if the car is rear ended in a more severe crash? Could the battery catch fire?
If it caught fire under the bonnet all the fuel lines are there.

I don’t believe it would catch fire
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 20:59   #5
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
If it caught fire under the bonnet all the fuel lines are there.

I don’t believe it would catch fire
Indeed, it's about as far as it could be put from anything significantly combustible.
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 21:23   #6
oragex
Premier Member

Great points, good to know acid batteries don't catch fire when crushed - I had the Tesla battery in mind but that's a different composition
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 21:39   #7
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Great points, good to know acid batteries don't catch fire when crushed - I had the Tesla battery in mind but that's a different composition
I don’t know that they don’t catch fire but the Tesla type batteries are lithium polymer which are very unstable (obviously fine when used as supposed to). They also have horrific peak output.

Lead acid I think are less likely.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 21:51   #8
petey
Master Member

The lead acid accumulators (to give them their dullest name) are pretty robust, but they do depend on the electrolyte to provide the potential difference. Yes, they could split in a rear end whack but if they do split, they leak a bit of acid and don’t do a lot more afterwards. Naturally, the plastic they’re encased in is flame proof etc. They could provide a spark, but not much else.

With reference to the LiIon batteries that Tesla and others use, they are self oxygenating so cannot be put out byconventional means. If one remembers the triangle of fire, under thermal runaway conditions, they have heat, fuel and oxygen, more or less whatever you do so burn they will.

In planning a LiIon test facility, I spend ages considering dousing with water, auto spuression systems and a whole lot of other kit, and in the end, I’m going to just place the batteries on a sled and basically jettison them if they go up and just let them burn.

Consider that a V70 battery contains sufficient energy to run a starter motor for 90 seconds or so. A Tesla battery can move 2.4 tons of metal whilst keeping it cool or hot for 270 miles; there is a considerable difference in stored energy.
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 23:18   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Remember volvos have been crash tested , It would take a massive smash to damage the battery , something like a train or truck hitting it .. most cars disintegrate when they go into the back of a volvo , leaving the volvo almost unmarked , ok slight exaggeration but not far off what happens in most crashes .
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 22:36   #10
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

My money's on there being essentially no chance of an FLA (Flooded Lead Acid) battery bursting into flames upon impact of any amount.

The shining star of battery fires is a hydrogen explosion. Remember the Hindenburg?
A spark at the right time in the right place can ignite lingering hydrogen and blow the top off a battery-voiding its warranty.

In the case of a smash there wouldn't be much, if any, hydrogen lingering about, in the first place. If sparked, it would go up in a small, uncontained little poof. We ignited small amounts of hydrogen in science class as I'm sure you did. That sample had to be collected in a test tube.

The polypropylene case, if smashed would allow the acid to drain out. Sulfuric acid isn't flammable. Buckled steel wouldn't contain any hydrogen produced were the engine and alternator to continue to run.

SOURCES: Fire Departments, Insurance Companies, Automotive Engineers, Chemists, Battery Manufacturers

SOURCES I CONTACTED: None of the above.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:

Tags
battery, crash