Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Front Camera

Views : 2051

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 1st, 2016, 22:54   #1
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Default XC90 Front Camera

So I have just purchased my very first Volvo: a 2008 R-Design in gorgeous condition.

It was a special demostrator version in 2008, and has navigation, phone, rear-seat entertainment, BLIS, alarm, sunroof, electric heated memory seats, rear parking sensors, factory rear parking camera BUT no front parking sensors

Looking at the retrofit kit for front parking sensors and it is a bit of a mission to mount them, and the cable has to be run to the control unit in the boot.

So I thought I might fit a front parking CAMERA, in the grill, and connect it via a PAL-video to RGB interface that you can get for the hard drive RTI MMI+ nav system so that the pitcure shows on the popup screen. And maybe hook up the rear DVD also to the popup screen... maybe...

So my questions to all XC90 lovers: has anyone ever fitted a front parking camera to their XC90 wth RTI nav before?

Love to hear from your experiences.

SwissXC90.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 08:24   #2
bokabil

Have a look at www.volvotech.eu or better give them a call (from several forums, the chaps there are very helpful). You might be able to source all items (camera, adapters) needed from them.
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 22:13   #3
GenericVolvoDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
So I have just purchased my very first Volvo: a 2008 R-Design in gorgeous condition.

It was a special demostrator version in 2008, and has navigation, phone, rear-seat entertainment, BLIS, alarm, sunroof, electric heated memory seats, rear parking sensors, factory rear parking camera BUT no front parking sensors

Looking at the retrofit kit for front parking sensors and it is a bit of a mission to mount them, and the cable has to be run to the control unit in the boot.

So I thought I might fit a front parking CAMERA, in the grill, and connect it via a PAL-video to RGB interface that you can get for the hard drive RTI MMI+ nav system so that the pitcure shows on the popup screen. And maybe hook up the rear DVD also to the popup screen... maybe...

So my questions to all XC90 lovers: has anyone ever fitted a front parking camera to their XC90 wth RTI nav before?

Love to hear from your experiences.

SwissXC90.
After a tough parking job yesterday I thought to search if anyone had considered this - of course you had

Did you ever investigate this further? I was on eBay today and came across this: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Car-Front-Vi...MAAOSwhOxZ-I6a

We could then use this 75 Ohm antenna switch: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-NOS-REV-...sAAOSwR7lav5nV

Using your CANBUS work to look for vehicle gear status:
"if car is in reverse, energize relay, allowing back camera (connected to the N.O.) to be connected"
"if car is in drive, de-energize relay, turning on front camera"
As we spend more time in drive, it makes sense to have front camera connected to the N.C. contact and reverse to the N.O. contact.
'88 Nissan 300ZX Turbo - Me

Last edited by GenericVolvoDriver; Jun 2nd, 2018 at 22:17.
GenericVolvoDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 05:34   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

I did any I bought a video switcher and I thought long and hard about it and then life got in the way, and the video switcher is still sitting on my desk
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 05:46   #5
GenericVolvoDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
I did any I bought a video switcher and I thought long and hard about it and then life got in the way, and the video switcher is still sitting on my desk
Some day you will finish it! What video switcher did you purchase?

It seems from this product that the impedance isn't super critical: https://www.volvotech.eu/vir-1
You can see the coax is terminated to a non-coaxial automotive connector with about 1 cm of the centre conductor exposed.

This product would also solve our problem if we ever find one on sale - wire the switched video input for the front camera to the drive LED on the gear selector.
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 10:51   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenericVolvoDriver View Post
It seems from this product that the impedance isn't super critical: https://www.volvotech.eu/vir-1
You can see the coax is terminated to a non-coaxial automotive connector with about 1 cm of the centre conductor exposed.

This product would also solve our problem if we ever find one on sale - wire the switched video input for the front camera to the drive LED on the gear selector.
I worked in TV broadcast for a number of years back when video was all Composite PAL.

Impedance matters, BUT on such a small screen and with such cameras the average human will never see the impact.... it can be measured, and won't be broadcast quality. But then nothing in the car is broadcast quality anyway
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 08:23   #7
GenericVolvoDriver

Found this tonight:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/360-View-Car...0AAOSwonBZ6ab8

This would work perfect!
It can be used to let the reverse signal through in reverse, then switch to the forward camera in that short period while the RTI screen stays up displaying the rear camera yet the car is in gear.

If I read correctly in VIDA, the reverse camera's signal is NSTC while the VNS uses RGB.
I know the RTI monitor uses serial commands to switch between RGB, NSTC or PAL - but it appears PAL is not used on our XC90.

I'll order one of these cameras in NSTC: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/520TV-Line-C...QAAOSwFwRbTHZ8
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 09:55   #8
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenericVolvoDriver View Post
Found this tonight:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/360-View-Car...0AAOSwonBZ6ab8

This would work perfect!
It can be used to let the reverse signal through in reverse, then switch to the forward camera in that short period while the RTI screen stays up displaying the rear camera yet the car is in gear.
Yeah that's the idea I had. But tapping into the video line from the rear camera means cutting the cable