Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which Volvo

Views : 746

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2016, 11:07   #1
rks

Default Which Volvo

Hi , im looking to purchase for 1st time ever ... a volvo estate , been looking at v50 models but dont know which to go for in terms of economy , reliabilit ect , would appreciate any info from present owners , what to look out for ect , looking at 2008/2009 models thanks for any info .
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2016, 11:15   #2
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

I currently have a V50 and I've had both an S40 and C30 and they have all been fundamentally sound, S40 was a bit wobbly but it was a very early one so can't complain.

Engine wise it depends on what you want, the petrol range is made up from the Ford Sigma 1.6 100ps which is a pretty solid unit, ours was one of these and other than being a bit slow it was faultless. Then the 1.8 Mazda MZR 125ps which is basically the engine from an MX-5 and is also generally sound, it's big brother is the 2.0 MZR 145ps which is a fair bit quicker and just as frugal. Then there was the 2.4 Volvo 170ps 5 cylinder which is a pretty bulletproof proven unstressed engine in a C30 but a bit juicy and to top it off the 2.5 T5 5 cylinder with either 220 or 230ps depending on the age. Ultimately the same engine as the Focus ST and seem to be fault free but very thirsty things!

Diesel wise start with the 1.6D Ford/PSA DV6 110ps originally 16v which have the most issues with DPF's as they are a service item, 75,000 miles between changes and 37,500 between fluid fills, have turbo issues of not properly serviced. These later used in the early DRIVe models. Replaced by the 8 valve unit with 115ps and dry DPF which is more robust and there are very few reported faults with these. There's the 2.0D Ford/PSA DW10 136ps engine and some of these don't have a DPF which is nice. I had one in my S40 and was a nice robust engine, frugal and quick, no major issues. Then the 2.0 D3 and D4 Volvo 5 cylinder diesels which replaced the 2.0D which are either 150 or 177ps also an engine that will do 300,000 miles and for a bit the range topper was the 2.4 D5 with 177ps and it's just a longer stroke version of the 2.0 Volvo diesel.

Of those, automatic wise you have 2.4i, T5, D3 D4 and D5's to pick from with the Geartronic box which is an Aisin Warner TF80-SC box, common unit and usually sound, have the oil changed at 80-100k, they say it's sealed for life but they're better when they're changed then. The 2.0D has a Ford Powershift twin clutch manual box which works like an auto and these are a nightmare if they go wrong but I haven't seen any issues like VAG's DSG box. Other than a hesitant pull away on some of them (some cars do and some don't) I don't know of any quirks they have. They are better on diesel than a regular auto as well.

The rest of the car is generally sound, watch for non functioning electrical items as the CEM that controls it all is liable to get kicked as it is under the glovebox, S and R-Design models are a bit poverty spec so if you want an R-Design get a well optioned one or an SE or SE Lux, the T-Tec upholstery in the R-Design and SE can sometimes split and crack and it expensive to repair. The headlights are rubbish on these cars, the beams need adjusting up a bit to get the best out of them. If it's an early one with the old centre console and no aux port fitting one can be a nightmare if the car has High Performance Audio so try and get one with it if you want it.

Economy wise the diesels are all pretty good even the D5 considering the performance on offer. My 2012 DRIVe is capable of excellent MPG if you drive them carefully. Over the last week of driving I have achieved this on my 140 mile round daily commute.

Am yet to check this with the calculator but it looks like it'll achieve over 65 MPG which is great.

Reliability wise the V50 is not infallible but they are quite solid and mechanically tried and tested so there's nothing you won't be able to get cheaper outside of the Volvo network by getting Ford parts Good luck with the search!!

Last edited by Sasha94; Oct 14th, 2016 at 11:21.
Sasha94 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sasha94 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2016, 11:38   #3
rks

Hi thanks for info , how can i tell if there is no dpf fitted thats waht i was worried about , as had my fingers burnt once buying a diesal .
you say baout 2.0D Ford/PSA DW10 136ps engine without this filter be good ?
im looking at these on ebay atm with about 100-130k on clock , how can i tell if its without these filters ?
thanks
Old Oct 14th, 2016, 12:13   #4
rks

Hi thanks for info , how can i tell if there is no dpf fitted thats waht i was worried about , as had my fingers burnt once buying a diesal .
you say baout 2.0D Ford/PSA DW10 136ps engine without this filter be good ?
im looking at these on ebay atm with about 100-130k on clock , how can i tell if its without these filters ?
thanks
Old Oct 14th, 2016, 12:55   #5
Ben Hur

The later 2.0D with a manual gearbox sold before 2010 were Euro 4 with no DPF. The reason why is because the engine with manual gearbox runs so clean on emissions a DPF wasn't needed to meet Euro 4 by a large margin.

Check the 8th character on the VIN if it's a 4 no DPF, if 5 there is a DPF.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben Hur For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2016, 13:36   #6
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

As above really, my 2.0D didn't have a DPF, the later DRIVe models like mine have a dry DPF which is much more reliable as do the D3, D4 and D5 models
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasha94 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2016, 22:36   #7
julianps
Master Member

Lightbulb

Only other comment is that the front wishbone bushes are a little fragile (as they are on all Ford Focus' of that generation) and frequently need changing (it's a whole wishbone as the bushes are built-in).

Some of the C30 models have upgraded Focus ST spec' suspension and cost a little more ( ut may also be less fragile?) but the the others it's pretty basic stuff and even main dealers can change them using genuine parts for under £100.

If you go up a speed-bump and hear a clunk then they need changing, otherwise you're good-to-go.
julianps is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to julianps For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2016, 00:27   #8
NigelDay
Premier Member

I had a 2009 V50 DRIVe. Economy was good (but actually no better than my 1997 Passat TDi). VED £20 pa. BUT, the DPF replacement at 75k cost an arm and a leg. Do check this out.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post: