Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

could really use some advise, both front shocks dead?

Views : 1386

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2016, 21:14   #11
lixah
Master Member

wow thanks for all the support and help here, it really means a lot.

when something like this happens its easy to feel like you're alone and its difficult to know what to do really.

so let me update this

the short story is: its not as bad as i though or it sounded.

at around 20:00 the seller came back with the car and all, and as i said, i gave him a full refund, i do think (and confirmed by all of your replies that I was well within my rights to completely deny him and just ignore him) i do think in this situation that would have probably been the most appropriate action, but before asking here I did say to him that if he came back tonight then i'd do a full refund, and he did meet that condition.

so, to start with upon inspection i dont think hes trying to scam me, and i dont think the front shocks have gone, i feel like he over hyped the whole "both front shocks just blew up" thing a bit. for now ive only taken the car round the block obviously not much poor road surface to really get a feel for what he was talking about but i couldnt really feel much at all, felt pretty normal.

The way he was talking in his text messages and saying he didnt want to drive the car back in case he crashed and he would be liable and all this other stuff seems a little, emotional shall we say, i think it was more like he had just got a little bit upset that instantly after buying a car he noticed a bit of a creak/noise that he didnt notice before. (lets be honest we'd all feel a bit annoyed at that scenario)

In the past cars i've bought have been found to have far more grievous issues than just a grinding/creaking noise that i didn't notice beforehand.

Anyway, it was late when the car arrived back and there's not much i can check tonight, i really dont think much has happened if anything really, but i will have a good look tomorrow in the light and again update this thread.

Well that's it for tonight i've had a mega stressful day and only about 4 hours sleep, but again i do appreciate everyone's advice and support. I will update this as I find out things, hopefully nothing too serious to report though.

-Matt
lixah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lixah For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2016, 22:01   #12
dcw
VOC Member

Thanks for the update.

You have stood by your word to him and I respect you for that: over and above anything you are obliged to do legally but clearly you have a conscience and that's what you have to live with! Despite being a lawyer I would have done the same as you...

Have a good night's sleep then look over the car when you feel more relaxed - as you've seen, there's plenty of help to be found on here about whatever (if anything much at all) might be wrong with it.

Keep us posted!

All the best

David
1994 480 GT and 2007 V50 SE Sport
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dcw For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2016, 23:18   #13
Jebus
VOC Member

Top marks on you giving the guy his dosh back, I can't see it being a scam more a case of an dealing with an Bill Cheddar type. He took you being a nice guy (60 mile round trip) to pick him up on a cheap car and when he got first drive remorse he jumped at the chance to give you a sob story.

First drive remorse, happens most times you buy a used car, on the test drive you are trying to hear things etc etc etc then when on the way home to notice a rattle, noise from here/there and begin to worry, might think the curse the owner they tried things etc.

If he was a mechanic, a couple dud shocks are not a problem will just get some from a local breakers etc.

Personally I think guy booted once properly by himself and when he found out the T5 is rather quick he poooped himself and wanted back into his nice little Puegeot haha

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jebus For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2016, 23:45   #14
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Presumably a new V5 will need to be requested as the current one will have been filled in by the 'buyer'. Just hope he didn't do anything silly like whizz thru some speed cameras or anything else that will come back to you as the registered keeper. Unless he taxed it online, then technically would not have been taxed during his brief period of ownership.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2016, 00:58   #15
DOUGIE68

"sold as seen " will not hold up in court hence car auctions cannot use it. It needs a little more specific wording such "Purchaser has inspected vehicle reg no and has satisfied himself that the vehicle is as described with known faults disclosed." or "Vendor states no warranty is implied or given and the purchaser should satisfy himself the vehicle is in the condition described with all known faults disclosed" or the get-out if it is a snotter you are trying to stick it on a poor Joe. Pull a bulb then state " Due to a fault the vehicle is being sold in an unroadworthy condition and should be repaired before use on a highway" Of course these only apply to a private sale as the law now gives a lot more weight to private buyers than before.
DOUGIE68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DOUGIE68 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2016, 06:54   #16
capt jack
VOC Member

Even in private sales the buyer has rights these days. 'Sold as seen' doesn't stand up now. The law changed in October 2015. You've done the decent thing and you're to be applauded for that. Also, it's not worth getting all legalistic over a situation like this. But you do need to take steps to protect yourself. If the 'buyer' was caught by a speed camera, or an ANPR parking camera then you need to be sure that you don't end up with the bill.

Make sure that you keep a record of events and of the buyer's name and address. Also, did you fill in the change of owner bit of the V5, and did the buyer take his part? If so then you need to ring the DVLA and get their advice as to how to get everything put back in your name. You'll need a replacement document before you can sell the car.

It might also be worth asking your insurers to add a note to their file about this. You have no idea what has happened to the car whilst it was out of your possession and so to have the facts on the formal records would be useful in the event that this was indeed some sort of scam.

It probably was just a simple case of buyer remorse, either that or the guy got an ear bashing from SWMBO when he got home!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2016, 14:35   #17
lixah
Master Member

i looked at the car today and looked fine to me, even took it to my mechanic too, he said obviously looks kinda worn and such but nothing is really bad or needs replacing. (it is an X reg car, i mean i dont think anyone is expecting anything brand new)

since he said it im trying to listen out for anything, sometimes i think i can hear something then i am questioning myself.

i think there probably is a minor knocking somewhere probably top mount bushings or something, but there's nothing majorly wrong, mechanic also suggested taking it to one of the MOT centers since they have the ramp that shakes the suspension to find any faults easier, not sure if im even going to bother really, i think it was just a case of getting cold feet after purchasing, which im actually rather happy about, better than him bringing back a car that needs some major mechanical work, and it would also explain his haste to get away.

Also checked the mileage against what it had when he bought it, and it matches, the only thing im a little worried about is the fact he might have got ticket or something, gonna just keep hold of his details for awhile and if anything comes of it will have to look into what I can do.

Lastly i just need to sort out a new V5 however i think i can do that online now? which would save me 25£ for a replacement, would only have to explain to a possible buyer why he cant have the paper V5 which might be a pain.

Thanks to everyone on the forum, it seems like everything has worked out ok. I think in the future ill definitely make sure people are aware that once they pay there's no returns.

on a side note if anyone is interested in a T5 manual S60 get in touch, i'd certainly be willing to do a good deal for a forum member.

-Matt
lixah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lixah For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2016, 18:58   #18
dcw
VOC Member

Sounds as if it'll work out ok. I second what others have said re protecting yourself - that's why I wanted to clarify the situation in my original reply and some good wording has been suggested here.

You can indeed do a transfer of owner on-line - and the relevant paperwork comes out of Swansea much faster if you do that. I am sure any new buyer will understand once you explain to them.

Good luck with the sale second time around!

David
1994 480 GT and 2007 V50 SE Sport
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dcw For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2016, 19:06   #19
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

S60 Wheels rubbing.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=35058

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2016, 16:01   #20
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Sold as seen is 100% legally binding in private sale unless you can prove the seller knowing sold a lemon and the fact the buyer was a mechanic and bought it knowing it had fault covers the seller.

BUT

You are very brave to except the car back as it is a well know scam for someone to buy a car with stated faults (or even no faults) swap a few parts over onto their own car, and I personally know of one case where an whole engine was swapped on one car and all the wheels/ tyres on another, buyer then claims a fault and wants his money back. you take back the car and give full refund. buyer has a new set of tyres or 'new' air con system etc.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty Dolomite For This Useful Post: