Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Serious engine fire after service

Views : 4302

Replies : 54

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 13th, 2018, 17:16   #21
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

Just read that you had your fuel lines replaced - I do not believe in coincidence but boy you are going to find it hard to get the garage to admit liability. You could try the threat of a civil court claim and see if they wish to settle but unlikely as they are admitting liability which could put their business in jeopardy.

Out of interest is yours a petrol and did you notice the smell of fuel vapour before you saw the flames/smoke?
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 18:40   #22
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Ah now it gets interesting...

Firstly I suspect (rather than know for a fact) that the main reason insurance companies examine vehicles in such cases is to establish if there is any fraud going on - i.e. is the burnt out shell actually the vehicle being claimed for and is there any evidence that the car has been deliberately set alight to claim on the insurance? They may also check if you have asked what the amount of outstanding finance is recently or if you have approached WeBuyAnyCar etc.

Secondly now you know the fuel lines had been replaced - I would trace back your footsteps to where you collected the car and anywhere you may have stopped on the way before the fire to check if there is any evidence of diesel spillage (am assuming your car was diesel).

I still think you should contact Volvo UK - they should be interested and concerned that one of their products caught fire 1 hour after the fuel pipes were disturbed by their franchised dealer. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE IN DOING SO.....

The dealer should take this seriously - had someone been injured or killed and they were proven to be negligent - depending on the evidence the mechanic and the directors of that business could have gone to jail. Remember the skip lorry with faulty brakes that crashed and resulted in a fatality? The driver walked free and the business owner and his mechanic were jailed. Someone being injured or killed need not have been in the vehicle - it could have been a car or motorcycle skidding on spilled diesel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38774080

There was a poster on here in the past 12 months who also had fuel pipe work and subsequently a major fuel leak - there was no fire but their major dispute with the dealer was the amount of cleaning work needed to get rid of the odour. Can anyone remember it?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Aug 13th, 2018 at 18:48.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 18:43   #23
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Found it:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ight=fuel+leak
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 21:08   #24
mjg1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It is nothing whatsoever to do with volvo UK at any stage ..,
At this stage it's nothing to do with the dealer either unless something is found to prove it is ..
I completely disagree. They are the representatives of the manufacturer in this country. It would be responsible to allow the manufacturer to address an issue that could result in a product recall at a later date.

Nice positive contribution that Clan!!!
mjg1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 08:50   #25
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg1966 View Post
I completely disagree. They are the representatives of the manufacturer in this country. It would be responsible to allow the manufacturer to address an issue that could result in a product recall at a later date.
The other aspect to this is the OP paid substantially more to have the work done at a franchised dealership - many others with 7 year old cars would have gone to non-franchised back-street garages. He is entitled to have more protection and support in deference of that...
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 08:51   #26
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickquestion View Post
I completely accept the work had to be done, and whilst I don't like it, I understand why it is not included in any insurance claim.

However, if the fire can be attributed to work carried out by the dealership or their negligence in not noticing a serious fault, I would very much like to be able to pursue the dealership for reimbursement of the bill and any other associated costs.

Found out today that insurers won't necessarily carry out a forensic investigation as to the cause. They might - but it's not guaranteed. Depends if their recovery department thinks it is worth it. I have sent then a copy of the invoice showing the work done which included two new fuel lines - hopefully that will persuade them to try and find the cause.

Thanks again for advice
Suggest you deposit the remains of the vehicle outside of the showroom with a big poster "This garage changed my fuel lines and a hour later it looked like this..."
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 09:43   #27
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg1966 View Post

Nice positive contribution that Clan!!!
The xc90 has no history of fires being caused by the manufacturer , no recalls for such thing it has been on the road for 13 years.

Volvo uk will only be interested ONCE THE CAUSE has been found , nobody can do anything until that is done .. only the insurance company can do this or the owner can pay an independent inspector to make an examination .If it's the fuel line only the dealer will be involved . If the car burst into flames on a random trip with no work carried out recently volvo might be interested .
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 16:53   #28
mjg1966

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
The other aspect to this is the OP paid substantially more to have the work done at a franchised dealership - many others with 7 year old cars would have gone to non-franchised back-street garages. He is entitled to have more protection and support in deference of that...
Quite. I think in the circumstances its a good thing to get them involved.
mjg1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2018, 22:17   #29
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

What was the outcome, I would be interested to know and hope you got the result you wanted.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 05:56   #30
volvo for ever
Premier Member

Yes I'd love to here out come
It seems so bizarre car was ok until work done .
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote