Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 adding rear sub woofer.

Views : 8670

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 10th, 2018, 18:17   #1
cpu_man

Default XC90 adding rear sub woofer.

Hi guys, I have been doing a bit of research and thought I would look at adding the rear sub woofer to my 2011 xc90.

My car has the 14 speaker dynaudio/premium audio setup and I am very happy with it, it sounds very very good but I was always left with the feeling it's just missing that sound a subwoofer can produce etc.

Any way after looking around the internet I managed to find a subwoofer from a 2006 xc90, and as my xc90 does not have rear aircon I am lead to belive I have the space to fit this in.

A little video found here of some one installing:

https://youtu.be/vXaHmnPnMX0

after watching the video above this got me thinking more I really want to add this extra to my sound system.

My thought Is I will post my updates on here as time goes on in the aim to either help people that want to carry this out OR for even people in here who have done this before to help me and others.

1. first thing is first, if you have a later xc90 that has no rear sub you need to make sure you have NO resr air con as this takes up the space for the sub, if you have no rear air con then you have an empty space to fit in the factory sub.

2. Find a sub woofer from a early xc90 with the high audio, I think the volvo part number is 30679176.
I managed to purchase one for £45.

3. I removed the stock amp as this can't be used due to Fiber optic comms.

4. I then fed the x4 wires from the subwoofer into the amp housing.

and that's as far as I have got so far, my next job is to find an amp that's small but correct for the job (any idea guys?) and next to work out how to find out the best way to wire up this dual coil sub.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180910-171552_Gallery.jpg (155.4 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180910-171603_Gallery.jpg (146.8 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180910-171610_Gallery.jpg (137.3 KB, 72 views)
cpu_man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cpu_man For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 19:58   #2
GenericVolvoDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu_man View Post
Hi guys, I have been doing a bit of research and thought I would look at adding the rear sub woofer to my 2011 xc90.

My car has the 14 speaker dynaudio/premium audio setup and I am very happy with it, it sounds very very good but I was always left with the feeling it's just missing that sound a subwoofer can produce etc.

Any way after looking around the internet I managed to find a subwoofer from a 2006 xc90, and as my xc90 does not have rear aircon I am lead to belive I have the space to fit this in.

A little video found here of some one installing:

https://youtu.be/vXaHmnPnMX0

after watching the video above this got me thinking more I really want to add this extra to my sound system.

My thought Is I will post my updates on here as time goes on in the aim to either help people that want to carry this out OR for even people in here who have done this before to help me and others.

1. first thing is first, if you have a later xc90 that has no rear sub you need to make sure you have NO resr air con as this takes up the space for the sub, if you have no rear air con then you have an empty space to fit in the factory sub.

2. Find a sub woofer from a early xc90 with the high audio, I think the volvo part number is 30679176.
I managed to purchase one for £45.

3. I removed the stock amp as this can't be used due to Fiber optic comms.

4. I then fed the x4 wires from the subwoofer into the amp housing.

and that's as far as I have got so far, my next job is to find an amp that's small but correct for the job (any idea guys?) and next to work out how to find out the best way to wire up this dual coil sub.
I just did this exact install on my 2013 and it worked perfectly following the linked YouTube video!
I tapped into the D pillar speakers and used the rear lighting as my amplifier's power-on signal.
'88 Nissan 300ZX Turbo - Me
GenericVolvoDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GenericVolvoDriver For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 20:34   #3
cpu_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenericVolvoDriver View Post
I just did this exact install on my 2013 and it worked perfectly following the linked YouTube video!
I tapped into the D pillar speakers and used the rear lighting as my amplifier's power-on signal.
Ahhhhhh sir you are my golden ticket lol.

Did you notice much difference in sound? the sub does seem very strong on this.

What amp did you use and where did you locate the amp?

Do you also know the rating of the sub to then make the correct choise on the amp selection?

how did you wire the dual sub up as this is new to me?

sorry for all the questions but just trying to get every thing together ready lol.

you have any pic??
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 06:34   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Volvo stopped adding the subwoofer in 2008. So you cannot enable the software after that date.

But an analogue amp will power it ok.
It won't be as smart as the original Volvo amp.
The speakers show their impedance on the label and VIDA has details on the amp.

Probably something like 50W to 100W RMS would do you.

And yes, the audio to the D pillar tweeters is full range analogue audio, driven by the rear channels.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 08:30   #5
GenericVolvoDriver

Quote:
Ahhhhhh sir you are my golden ticket lol.

Do you also know the rating of the sub to then make the correct choise on the amp selection?

sorry for all the questions but just trying to get every thing together ready lol.

you have any pic??

I realize I misspoke earlier, my mistake. I followed the instructions but I actually integrated a BMW "under parcel shelf" speaker system (BSW d110) my friend gave to me out of his e46 (he was selling his car and moving away):

It has a quick disconnect molex connector, making it easy to remove from the trunk when I need the space.

It definitely provides more bass for the rear passengers. My 2013 has great front woofers, so I've adjusted the crossover LPF on the sub's amp so it works only on frequencies below 80Hz. I'm really happy with the sound improvement - it's a fun new toy for free!

I used the BSW amp built into the enclosure. It's a compact Class-D amp that accepts speaker-level inputs. I used the power-on signal from the video, except I needed to add a capacitor between the power-on signal and ground to smooth out the PWM feeding the rear LED taillights on my 2013.

N/A for my setup

N/A for my setup - seems that most subs have 4 terminals - mine only used 2 of the 4.

No worries! I'd go for it, you can't go to wrong. The guy in the video links the amp, it seems to be a pretty good solution - comes with a LOC and an AMP. It's been a fun project for me, never installed a sub system into one of my vehicles before!

I will take some pictures for you!

Last edited by GenericVolvoDriver; Sep 11th, 2018 at 08:38.
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 09:31   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Trouble is you have a box in the trunk that has to be removed and put somewhere when you load the trunk with stuff and/or raise the 3rd row.

That's what stops me fitting a woofer box in the trunk
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 14:27   #7
cpu_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Volvo stopped adding the subwoofer in 2008. So you cannot enable the software after that date.

But an analogue amp will power it ok.
It won't be as smart as the original Volvo amp.
The speakers show their impedance on the label and VIDA has details on the amp.

Probably something like 50W to 100W RMS would do you.

And yes, the audio to the D pillar tweeters is full range analogue audio, driven by the rear channels.
Hi there, there is no label on the sub woofer so I am unable to gain this information?

I have been trying to Google the information to this sub to find out the Watt and Ohms of this but struggling as I require this for selecting the correct amp.

Any one have the correct info to this sub?
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 14:30   #8
cpu_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenericVolvoDriver View Post
I realize I misspoke earlier, my mistake. I followed the instructions but I actually integrated a BMW "under parcel shelf" speaker system (BSW d110) my friend gave to me out of his e46 (he was selling his car and moving away):

It has a quick disconnect molex connector, making it easy to remove from the trunk when I need the space.

It definitely provides more bass for the rear passengers. My 2013 has great front woofers, so I've adjusted the crossover LPF on the sub's amp so it works only on frequencies below 80Hz. I'm really happy with the sound improvement - it's a fun new toy for free!

I used the BSW amp built into the enclosure. It's a compact Class-D amp that accepts speaker-level inputs. I used the power-on signal from the video, except I needed to add a capacitor between the power-on signal and ground to smooth out the PWM feeding the rear LED taillights on my 2013.

N/A for my setup

N/A for my setup - seems that most subs have 4 terminals - mine only used 2 of the 4.

No worries! I'd go for it, you can't go to wrong. The guy in the video links the amp, it seems to be a pretty good solution - comes with a LOC and an AMP. It's been a fun project for me, never installed a sub system into one of my vehicles before!

I will take some pictures for you!
Ya if you can take some pictures please.

I still need to find out what amp I need and how I should wire up the dual coil sub which is new to me.
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 15:37   #9
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Any one have the correct info to this sub?
Read all the docs about the Subwoofer in VIDA, it's all there
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 19:26   #10
GenericVolvoDriver

Quote:
Ya if you can take some pictures please.

I still need to find out what amp I need and how I should wire up the dual coil sub which is new to me.
Focal FD1.350 amp http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/foca...mono-amplifier

This is the amp the guy in the video used - maybe just order this and save the work...
It seems to be working perfect for him and saves you the trouble.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GenericVolvoDriver For This Useful Post: